Baylor Engineering

948 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by MrGolfguy
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone know anything about the BU engineering program? It's rated pretty well in Texas, but just not sure how it stacks up. My kid doesn't want to go to large schools like UT or TAMU. Wants to stay in or close to Texas. Curious what the class sizes are like, student to teacher ratio and interaction. Engineering is likely the most demanding 4 year degree, and I'm just wondering about internal support structures, like labs, tutoring, professors actively helping students succeed, etc.

Nguyen One Soon
My last second hand contact with it was Logan Brown, who did well in the program while also doing well holding down center field for the baseball team.
SMack
My son graduated from Baylor engineering program six years ago.

Here are some positives:
1. Better relationships with professors, who will help you succeed
2. Baylor engineers are usually more well rounded
3. Overall better undergrad program than most

Negatives:
1. Limited to mechanical and electrical. There's something called general engineering, but most go with the first two
2. Grad school is not very good yet, so little research
3. They don't teach you to drive trains
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
SMack said:

Here are some positives:

Negatives:
1. Limited to mechanical and electrical. There's something called general engineering, but most go with the first two

Thank you for that, my kid plans on visiting soon. Really unfortunate that the school doesn't include train driving. What's the point of being an engineer if you can't drive a train and wear a cool hat?
HelbergStan99
SMack said:

Here are some positives:

Negatives:

I graduated in '22 with an Electrical Degree and agree with this post. Rumor is they're adding Computer Engineering (or planning to soon) which is nice. Don't choose general engineering, it's not a nationally recognized degree. And sadly, no trains

Would also add that for 95% of the jobs your son would be applying for after graduating, where he went to school won't matter one bit. My uncle hired engineers for Exxon and said unless it was an Ivy League or Stanford/Cal Tech etc, the school didn't matter. Go where they feels they'll have the best chance to succeed and get ready to grind it out for 4 years
Ghostrider
We have hired a few Baylor engineers and they have been excellent (electrical and mechanical). A&M obviously has the strongest name for engineering in Texas, or at least in the Houton area.
LIB,MR BEARS
SMack said:

Here are some positives:

Negatives:

Did the train thing end when they got rid of the train at Lion's Park?
MrGolfguy
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Did the train thing end when they got rid of the train at Lion's Park?
It's supposed to come back, but for unknown reasons there's been a long delay on announcing the final plans of the 'New' Lions Park. They were supposed to announce it around Sept/Oct of last year, still haven't heard anything 5 months later.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.