Football
Sponsored by

BU WR Armani Winfield enters transfer portal

5,061 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 12 hrs ago by Wacoraisedbear
Killing Floor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who has developed under Aranda?

I see these "no prob, we'll just poll the portal for a bunch of ballers ready to play on Sundays". When you win 4 games and the staff changes but the HC stays on and starred recruits bail exactly what kind of player do we get in the portal?
The portal is a 2-way street.
We send guys who believe they can do better. Nobody leaving Georgia to come here with Aranda at the wheel.
MrGolfguy
Killing Floor said:

Just off the top of my head:
Matt Jones
Josh Cameron
Cooper Lanz
Kelsey Johnson
Mitch Henessey
No Quarterback said:

Killing Floor said:

You simply cannot rep a skill position 8 times in 2 seasons and dismiss as "he didn't do enough". Yeah, he didn't.
Receiver can't call his own number. Can't throw to himself. Can't say a 4 star receiver should play 1/5 as many snaps as Josh Cameron and expect him to do twice as much.

And I'm not even going to start into Aranda's historic use of talent.

What's funny about all this talk of reloading or re-tooling in the transfer portal is that it assumes that you already had some ammo in your gun or tools on your belt beforehand. At this point, we have no known contributors AND no depth behind them at the receiver position
This is a weird strawman that you and Killing Floor are constructing. To my knowledge, no one is saying that it's no big deal to lose these guys. Unless you have a sock account somewhere you're not telling us about, you aren't able to read any of the Premium members comments about it on the Premium side, and haven't for about a year or so.

So, you're basically extrapolating that, "well, we lost this guy, so therefore the Premium members think he sucks. If they think he sucks, and they're shills for the program and administration, he must be awesome. Therefore, anyone who points out that these guys hadn't done ****, production-wise, before transferring, is also a shill for the admin and for this coaching staff."

When you get called on that, complete with examples of previous guys who didn't do **** here, and haven't done anything elsewhere, you respond with, "well, if they all suck, then it's obvious the coach and admin suck, too." There's no way you guys will let anyone's viewpoint but your own win. It's a pretty impressive display of mental gymnastics, if I'm being perfectly honest.

Why don't we put down the pitchforks until our first loss this fall, at least? All this kvetching can't be good for your blood pressure.
bear2be2
Killing Floor said:

I see these "no prob, we'll just poll the portal for a bunch of ballers ready to play on Sundays". When you win 4 games and the staff changes but the HC stays on and starred recruits bail exactly what kind of player do we get in the portal?
We send guys who believe they can do better. Nobody leaving Georgia to come here with Aranda at the wheel.
Who has said we're going to be getting NFL talents out of the portal? No one that I'm aware of.

But it won't be hard at all to replace the production we've lost in this recent round of portal defections.
Daveisabovereproach
Killing Floor said:

No one of consequence. Cameron is a cool story and an alright player, but he is not a difference maker.
Daveisabovereproach
Mitch Henessey said:

No Quarterback said:

Killing Floor said:

You simply cannot rep a skill position 8 times in 2 seasons and dismiss as "he didn't do enough". Yeah, he didn't.
Receiver can't call his own number. Can't throw to himself. Can't say a 4 star receiver should play 1/5 as many snaps as Josh Cameron and expect him to do twice as much.

What's funny about all this talk of reloading or re-tooling in the transfer portal is that it assumes that you already had some ammo in your gun or tools on your belt beforehand. At this point, we have no known contributors AND no depth behind them at the receiver position
This is a weird strawman that you and Killing Floor are constructing. To my knowledge, no one is saying that it's no big deal to lose these guys. Unless you have a sock account somewhere you're not telling us about, you aren't able to read any of the Premium members comments about it on the Premium side, and haven't for about a year or so.

So, you're basically extrapolating that, "well, we lost this guy, so therefore the Premium members think he sucks. If they think he sucks, and they're shills for the program and administration, he must be awesome. Therefore, anyone who points out that these guys hadn't done ****, production-wise, before transferring, is also a shill for the admin and for this coaching staff."

When you get called on that, complete with examples of previous guys who didn't do **** here, and haven't done anything elsewhere, you respond with, "well, if they all suck, then it's obvious the coach and admin suck, too." There's no way you guys will let anyone's viewpoint but your own win. It's a pretty impressive display of mental gymnastics, if I'm being perfectly honest.

Why don't we put down the pitchforks until our first loss this fall, at least? All this kvetching can't be good for your blood pressure.

The thing is, the people that support Dave are going to support him no matter what happens. I get it man. We could recruit my dead grandmother at receiver and y'all would be like "well, I'm willing to give him a chance, Dave is an awesome coach right?" that one good season Dave had was really awesome, but it can only go so far. And it's funny that you're talking about blood pressure when you're the one who's getting your Jimmy's in a knot

Also, fact is there's two or three known athletic department members that post on this site. Not going to name names, but it's obvious who they are. It's fun to get them riled up, and it certainly not raising my blood pressure
Mitch Henessey
Daveisabovereproach said:

Mitch Henessey said:

No Quarterback said:

Killing Floor said:

The thing is, the people that support Dave are going to support him no matter what happens. I get it man. We could recruit my dead grandmother at receiver and y'all would be like "well, I'm willing to give him a chance, Dave is an awesome coach right?" that one good season Dave had was really awesome, but it can only go so far. And it's funny that you're talking about blood pressure when you're the one who's getting your Jimmy's in a knot

Also, fact is there's two or three known athletic department members that post on this site. Not going to name names, but it's obvious who they are. It's fun to get them riled up, and it certainly not raising my blood pressure
Hey, No Quarterback. Cool sock you've created here.

Way to create a false dichotomy. My "Jimmy's" [sic] are firmly unknotted. I wanted us to move on from Aranda after last season, but I'm going to let this season play out before I pass any judgements. The off-season had been largely positive, but hearing Dave Aranda state after spring ball that our OL is still trash isn't exactly encouraging.

You, on the other hand, have decided that getting on here and screaming into the void every day is how your time is best spent. I'll choose to give you the benefit of the doubt, and chalk it up to youth, rather than stupidity.
boykin_spaniel
People hitting the spring portal window are typically guys realizing their playing time will be little to none come fall. Losing depth sucks but let's not pretend Caden Jenkins has entered the portal. That would hurt… a lot. Winfield and Nabors? The staff brought in Hawkins for a reason and it wasn't to sit on the bench. Best of luck to Winfield and Nabors but not a massive loss.
ImwithBU
Killing Floor said:

He didn't get 8 reps. His ass had practice to separate himself. Instead he has walk ons and freshman proving more than him. The staff went and got 2 WRs in the early portal. Tells me upfront that they thought what we had wasn't good enogu
Killing Floor
You're probably right on the money. Same way our best running back watch from the bench for an entire season of abysmal RB performance and then practiced really hard to get Dave's attention before WV. Happens. Dave is an astute evaluator of talent. We already know that. Proof is on the score board.
ImABearToo
Saw post on IG he went to Colorado St Rams.
“Life is short, eat desert first!”
parch
parch
Winfield will now be one of the top WR options for Matt Mumme's offense, a last name you might recognize.
ImABearToo
Air raid for sure.
“Life is short, eat desert first!”
Bearsalwayswin
BAD GUY LOL
ImwithBU
Killing Floor said:

You're probably right on the money. Same way our best running back watch from the bench for an entire season of abysmal RB performance and then practiced really hard to get Dave's attention before WV. Happens. Dave is an astute evaluator of talent. We already know that. Proof is on the score board.

Dave is the head coach, but these guys have position coaches. You have to convince someone that you are worthy of more reps. I hate see guys leave, but it is not like most of them are shining at new institutions. Time will tell if Winfield was held back by this staff or system. August is right around the corner now.
bear2be2
ImwithBU said:

Killing Floor said:

Dave is the head coach, but these guys have position coaches. You have to convince someone that you are worthy of more reps. I hate see guys leave, but it is not like most of them are shining at new institutions. Time will tell if Winfield was held back by this staff or system. August is right around the corner now.
The fact that he landed at a G5 program that hasn't posted a winning season since 2017 tells you he's not the stud some are trying to make him out to be.

I wish the kid success, but I'm not going to lose sleep over losing a guy who couldn't get on the field for us the last two seasons.
Wacoraisedbear
All conference season incoming then back on the P5 radar after this season
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.