Pat Zachry dies at 71..

1,633 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by LIB,MR BEARS
Bexar Pitts
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Waco's own Pat Zachry has passed away at 71..A member of the Cincinnati Red's "Big Red Machine" , he was named Rookie of the Year in 1976 ..MLB All Star in 1978...He was one heckuva pitcher..and an even better man..He will be greatly missed by those lucky enough to have known him..RIP ole buddy, and wishes of comfort and peace to his family.
Stranger
Bexar Pitts said:

Waco's own Pat Zachry has passed away at 71..A member of the Cincinnati Red's "Big Red Machine" , he was named Rookie of the Year in 1976 ..MLB All Star in 1978...He was one heckuva pitcher..and an even better man..He will be greatly missed by those lucky enough to have known him..RIP ole buddy, and wishes of comfort and peace to his family.

A good man. Sorry to hear this news.
I'm a Bearbacker
Yogi
Got to meet him on occasion. Good guy. Great player.
He will be missed.
Marlin3030
He was a really nice guy and his wife was just as nice.
LIB,MR BEARS
When Tech kicked BUs tail 63-19 in 98 (maybe) it was Pat and Sharron's son Josh who threw for the only two BU touchdowns.

I grew up across the street from Pat and remember scouts coming to watch him pitch at JC-Kiwanis field.

I know for years he was best friends with Baylor legend Brad Coker

https://texastech.com/news/2001/10/27/Texas_Tech_Trounces_Baylor_63_19
TenBears
God bless he and his family.
william
that reds team was sick, itellya.

sick.

- KKM

POE.
cowboycwr
Never "knew" him but met him a few times through his wife. Seemed like a nice guy.
forza orsi
Very sad news. I knew that he hadn't been well. Really, really nice guy. I never knew him growing up. We moved around some growing up and lived in the southeast for a few years during Pat's first few years in the league. I was a huge baseball fan and thought of him as a legit star in the league back then. Years later as an adult back in Waco, my wife taught at the same school where he was on staff. We hosted school parties at our house from time to time and Pat would be there. It was such a strange feeling to have a guy that was a baseball star when you were a kid in your home socially. He was such an easy-going good guy to chat with. He and Sharron were both great people.
BUDOS
Although we were never "friends" we did know each other due to athletics plus a couple of classes together.
Our junior and senior years at Richfield were pretty special, especially in baseball, basketball, although we were pretty successful in football and track.
Watching our baseball team, it was obvious that it was close group of longtime friends playing together and for each other. Pat controlled the mound with Bobby calling the shots, while Maurice kept the opposition's level of irritation at a high level with his constant banter, simultaneously yelling smack at their batters and their bench, causing the umpires to intervene at times. Good times.
Fat Daddy
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Is Brad kin to Burl, maybe his brother?
forza orsi
Fat Daddy said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Yes. Burl is Brad's older brother.
LIB,MR BEARS
Fat Daddy said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Yes he is and, I had it backwards. Burl and Pat were the same age. Brad is Burl's little brother.

My bad. Good catch.
forza orsi
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Fat Daddy said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Yes he is and, I had it backwards. Burl and Pat were the same age. Brad is Burl's little brother.

My bad. Good catch.

And Burl and Pat both went to Richfield. Burl's brother Brad went to Jeff-Moore.
LIB,MR BEARS
forza orsi said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Fat Daddy said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

My bad. Good catch.

And Burl and Pat both went to Richfield. Burl's brother Brad went to Jeff-Moore.

Correct. Brad was a year ahead of my sister at J-M.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.