Tennessee center Jonas Aidoo is expected to visit Baylor this weekend

5,800 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by ScottS
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
IowaBear
I'd take him in a heartbeat
MrGolfguy
....and twice on Sunday
2Bears
He'd look nice in green and gold!
IvanBear
Why does he want out of Tennessee?
Stefano DiMera
I would think he ends up in Chapel Hill... they're desperate to replace Bacot so I'm sure it's chasing NIL in his case.
boykin_spaniel
Good player with potential to still unlock. Got benched in the final tourney game. Was a shell of himself. After learning Rick Barnes defense, he could learn Scott Drew offense and maybe become a more complete player.
IvanBear
boykin_spaniel said:

Good player with potential to still unlock. Got benched in the final tourney game. Was a shell of himself. After learning Rick Barnes defense, he could learn Scott Drew offense and maybe become a more complete player.
Reading some Tennessee fan's take most concerning thing I see is everyone hated his defense and thought it wasn't good. If that's the case he's just a poor man's version of what we've already got.
IowaBear
Poor man's version of Josh O?? Come on now. Watch his tape. Dude would help us tremendously.
Relying on fan boards regarding a player transferring from their program isn't a great idea
Crawfoso1973
Exactly. That is human nature. Read these boards trashing Cryer for leaving.
boykin_spaniel
As a secondary Tennessee fan I will say that Aidoo won't solve all of our problems. He's wildly inconsistent. A good player but he did get benched for a 6'8" player who defended Edey better.
TWD 1974
boykin_spaniel said:

As a secondary Tennessee fan I will say that Aidoo won't solve all of our problems. He's wildly inconsistent. A good player but he did get benched for a 6'8" player who defended Edey better.
If we are going to exclude Centers who couldn't shut down Edey, we will be playing without a center.
Quinton
boykin_spaniel said:

Wouldn't hurt though. Big upgrade v what we currently have. Rutgers big would be my top choice. Would really change up the dynamic on D with Roach in the backcourt.

Will need something big as KU is loading up. They've leapfrogged ISU and Houston with their recent signings and I expect one more wing. Need more firepower to keep up
Quinton
IowaBear said:

I'd take him in a heartbeat
You had me curious (don't follow that closely) and looks like he's projected to sign with BU. Roach and Aidoo would be a really strong class. Not KU 90's Yankees strong, but easily the next best.

Think that puts us right there with ISU and Houston in actual projected performance.. and easily the second most talented team in conference after KU.
IowaBear
Still think we need an alpha wing to go with those two. What KU has done so far is incredible they'll be the favorite and rightfully so. But if we add these two and a wing to fill Bridges spot we will be in a great spot.
Someone like Abdul-Rahim from GA at wing and we're set
IvanBear
Agreed, I'm not sure how our rotation would support it, but I feel like we could use a development/upside project at wing as well. I know that risks chasing off one of our many guards, but it would be ideal to not get in to a cycle of having to plug the 4 with a transfer.
gobears20
Staff

Crawfoso1973
Please happen....
IowaBear
Billew from ISU. Kid is raw but his upside is through the roof. Definitely a project but he oozes potential
Quinton
IowaBear said:

Still think we need an alpha wing to go with those two. What KU has done so far is incredible they'll be the favorite and rightfully so. But if we add these two and a wing to fill Bridges spot we will be in a great spot.
Someone like Abdul-Rahim from GA at wing and we're set

If the pull that off, would put Ku and us as probably the two best teams in the country.

Don't think they'll pull the trifecta. Think they target the wing from Charlotte or another mid major call up to round out the roster.

contrario
But can he dunk?
Big12Fan2024
Jonas is extremely religious so I am not surprised Baylor would have a great shot at him with the JOY culture.
IowaBear
Charlotte wing is solid. Seen him a few time in AAC play. Just think a guy like Abdur-Rahim would better fill the void from a pure talent perspective in regards to replacing Bridges
IvanBear
gobears20 said:

So are we out on the Rutgers guy then? If we're picking I'd still prefer him but I get if he's not coming this seems like the second best option.
Big12Fan2024
How much more Benjamins do we have? According to Trilly Donovan and Norlander these two came at a mil each. Roach actually more. We still have enough for a wing?
Calrocks94
Looks like we turned Bill Gates into a fan. Anything is possible with his pockets.
boykin_spaniel
He got benched for doing nothing. 6'8" Awaka came in and hustled and grinded. No on stops Edey but Aidoo looked like he didn't even try.

He did make solid improvement overall from last year. I'm definitely not against him coming to Baylor. Just stating what I've seen from his play. It's inconsistent but when he's on he's a very solid player.
TWD 1974
boykin_spaniel said:

He got benched for doing nothing. 6'8" Awaka came in and hustled and grinded. No on stops Edey but Aidoo looked like he didn't even try.

He did make solid improvement overall from last year. I'm definitely not against him coming to Baylor. Just stating what I've seen from his play. It's inconsistent but when he's on he's a very solid player.
Fair point. Would have loved to see a healthy Missi matchup against Edey. Fronting him, trying to deny him the ball with the Purdue guards having to toss it over a Missi without hitting light fixtures... guess we'll have to wait for NBA on that one.
IvanBear
boykin_spaniel said:

Yeah the Aidoo defense doesn't excite me, his upside does though.
bear2be2
IvanBear said:

boykin_spaniel said:

Aidoo's defense doesn't excite me as much as Omoruyi's would have. But he was an SEC all-defense pick, so he couldn't have been bad on that end of the floor.

As much as I love Yves Missi and think he'll be a really good pro, a senior-junior post combo of Aidoo and Ojianwuna will clear this past season's tandem by a substantial margin IMO.
IvanBear
bear2be2 said:

IvanBear said:

boykin_spaniel said:

Aidoo's defense doesn't excite me as much as Omoruyi's would have. But he was an SEC all-defense pick, so he couldn't have been bad on that end of the floor.

As much as I love Yves Missi and think he'll be a really good pro, a senior-junior post combo of Aidoo and Ojianwuna will clear this past season's tandem by a substantial margin IMO.
Oh no doubt, if we land Aidoo that's a huge boon for us, experience over freshmen every day. Hard to argue this front court isn't looking significantly better than last year regardless of who we land between Omoruyi or Aidoo.
Big12Fan2024
Aidoo's progression is about what you should see from Josh. Aidoo started off playing sparingly the first year, then a bit more the 2nd year and then last year in his 3rd year he put up some decent numbers. Josh O has the chance to basically replicate that although probably not the double figures since he won't be needed to score. I would take Josh's defense already over Aidoo who was awful at times against big bigs. He made 2nd team because of work mainly against the undersized bigs in the SEC. There aren't a lot of undersized bigs in the Big 12. But with Aidoo you can play an in-out game on O because he's a pretty good passer. It would be nice to have both.
Crawfoso1973
Aidoo also has a 15-18 foot jumper which looks like he can expand out to three point range. Changes the look of our pick-and-roll game having a big who can pick and pop. We haven't had that offensive skill from the 5 position since Motley.
bear2be2
Crawfoso1973 said:

Aidoo also has a 15-18 foot jumper which looks like he can expand out to three point range. Changes the look of our pick-and-roll game having a big who can pick and pop. We haven't had that offensive skill from the 5 position since Motley.
I don't want him expanding it out to 3 because he was only a 39 percent catch-and-shoot guy on mid-range shots. And despite what the NBA will try to tell you, 7-footers shooting 30-32 percent from 3 is not a good thing for any team's offense.

But his ability to roll off a screen and knock down a 15-footer is a really nice skill to have. It gives us pick-and-roll/pick-and-pop possibilities we haven't had since Freddie Gillespie, whose mid-range game was a weapon as well.
Crawfoso1973
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want him jacking up threes either. But all college bigs who have the ability to shoot and want to play in the NBA or overseas are working to expand their range.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.