For everyone complaining about recruiting……

3,359 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Dcheetah
Adriacus Peratuun
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Coach Collen was hired by Baylor in May 2021 [after recruiting].
Please list the quality Texas HS players that Baylor didn't land in the 2022, 2023 & 2024 recruiting classes.

Hint: for whatever reason, Texas [the state not the school] WBB HS talent level has been in an extended slump since that peak 2018 class that included NaLyssa Smith, Queen Egbo, etc.
The few Top 25 recruits from Texas since that class have mostly [not all but most] been flops in college.
UT's best player is from Mississippi. ATM's best player is from Florida.
On the other hand, California [which was in a desert post-Taurasi] has re-emerged as a powerful recruiting hotbed. California college WBB programs have correspondingly started thriving.

Recruiting is cyclical. Texas will emerge from its slump and Baylor will get its share of the talent.

Disagree? Again, list the elite Texas players that Baylor missed on in last three years.
chorne68
I love Nicki, but recruiting has been bad lately. No excuse. Transfers have been good. Coaching has been good. Tell it like it is.
Adriacus Peratuun
chorne68 said:

I love Nicki, but recruiting has been bad lately. No excuse. Transfers have been good. Coaching has been good. Tell it like it is.
So you were unable to answer the question.

Got it.
baylor1984
DeSoto has two 6-2 top twenty players in the class of 2026. Would be nice to get both of them.
Brusinbear2001
both of them seem to have a good relationship with staff and players. they have even been to Foster already
Wbbfan29
All of CNC recruits were ESPN top 100.
franke
Not many... Texas HS girls haven't been very good.
I don't necessarily see USC, UCLA, and Stanford doing well as a direct correlation to Cali HS ball picking up.

JuJu and Kiki Iriafen are from Cali and decided to stay home, but Rice and Betts are from different parts of the country. The best programs own their state but also feature top kids from around the country.
baylor1984
Easy drive right up I-35.
bawitdaball
Recruiting high school players has not been good. Were fortunate that we scored two great players a few years ago, but last cycle didn't yield any production amongst a class of elite freshman, many of whom contributed a llt for their programs.

While we can acknowledge that CNC has had a lot to overcome in her first few years in regard to recruiting, that excuse doesn't exist forever. She's going into year four. She should have the relationships established now as these girls were freshman when she took over the program. We've been in the top five or eight for many elite players. Time to seal the deal on some of these and get them in the green and gold.
blackie
chorne68 said:

Actually the HS recruiting the two years before KM left weren't all that great either. Looking at the 2019-20 roster the only freshman was Jordan Oliver who never really contributed or was not allowed to contribute. Then for the 2020-21 season you see only Sarah and Gusters. I think we all could agree that Gusters didn't show much while here. Sarah was also somewhat muted as she was not given quality playing time during the season to be able to be prepared to come in for a fallen Didi. If she had, we might have won another NC in 2021. For the 2021-22 season we only had the girl from Arkansas and it was reported here by some that she was having second thoughts and wanting to get out of her NLI even before KM left.

We had been relying on transfers which somewhat held back the development of the freshman we did get and did not leave holes for others or perhaps discouraged others from signing on because they saw that those who did were not provided an opportunity because a transfer was constantly coming in to fill what holes there might have been for them.

Bottom line, our HS recruiting after the Smith class was no where near the level it had been in years before. Now, some of that could have been because people were transferring more or it was easier to do so. But you would have to ask KM why the apparent result when seen on the court or bench that there were transfers on the roster instead of several freshmen. Could we not get the HS recruits to sign with us, was it easier to get transfers (less recruiting effort), or were the players from HS we needed just not there?

Even despite our successes prior to 2019, we were missing out on players. Sorry, I don't remember her name, but we missed out on the Texas girl that did so well at ND. KM also could not get Van Lith to come here. All of this was before NIL and easy transfers. These are two examples. Other examples were common discussions on this board or BaylorFans. Was it that these recruits did not want to play for KM or just didn't want to come to Baylor, the school? Perhaps in the case of Van Lith it was just that she didn't want to come to Baylor since she eventually joined KM at LSU. But that could have been because of the money. She certainly had the opportunity to play for KM at Baylor, but said no and went to Louisville instead.

I don't think we have seen yet what CNC can do concerning HS recruiting. With how the roster was left after April 2021 we needed help quickly, and to some extent still do (an effective big). We couldn't wait 2 or more years for HS recruits to adjust to the college game. Also any pipeline that we did have with KM as coach got blown up with her departure, leaving NC to basically start all over building one. At this point NC has a record at Baylor she can sell to recruits. That did not exist the first couple of years she was here and it should be completely given that HS recruits are not going to flock to an unproven coach who follows a legend until they see how it works out. That is proven by history at several well-known programs in recent years where things took time, even years in some cases to get back to where they were. I am more optimistic than concerned at this point concerning Nicki's ability to recruit out of HS.
Bear3
Getting to the Sweet 16 this year and almost beating a 1 seed should help some.
Brusinbear2001
i'm gonna always say this we are going to be great in the portal because out of high school the money that these big programs offer is what gets them there. But after the money gets old and you aren't on the mock draft to go to the league then they want to be developed and we are able to do that here. We can prepare kids for the league. Look at Bella and Buggs they are mature young players that realizes that early. We will see what happens but I think we will be big in the portal.
fredbear
I thought a national program would recruit the best players regardless of their state of residence. Are all Gamecocks from South Carolina? Does Geno limit himself only to Connecticut players? To say Texas has lacked talent is a mute argument. We have to see the nation, no, all nations as our recruiting base. Bring the international players too!
Adriacus Peratuun
fredbear said:

I thought a national program would recruit the best players regardless of their state of residence. Are all Gamecocks from South Carolina? Does Geno limit himself only to Connecticut players? To say Texas has lacked talent is a mute argument. We have to see the nation, no, all nations as our recruiting base. Bring the international players too!
List all of Baylor's HS recruits not from Texas or an adjacent state who became an elite college player? Maybe Davis.
Wallace was the one international recruit of note over two decades.
Role players: Jones, Cohen, Prince, Bickel, Cave.
Only Jones was a consensus National Top 25 recruit [#25]. The rest were Top 100 or below.
In 20+ years!

Baylor has never been a National Recruiting Power. Regional? Yes. National? No.

Unrealistic demands are laughable.
Once Texas returns to producing high level talent, Baylor can pull 1-2 per year, supplement with 1 development recruit and grab the occasional out-of-stater and 1-2 portal players per year……..and that recruiting level [which is what Mulkey did] is sufficient to be a consistent Top Ten program and routinely compete for championships.

But demanding that Baylor become UConn is totally unrealistic. They did it when they were 1 of 2 national brands and the rest of women's basketball was bad. They did it with almost 4 times more NCs than Baylor has won.

Be real.
ALLBEAR
fredbear said:

Don't feed the troll. We hold people accountable on this side. The pay side is nothing but snow cones, and pat-on-the-backs
fredbear
AP

Bu is not just a top 10 program. Name the number of schools with 3 wbb nattys, and Tennessee recruiting has removed them from the now shorter list. South Carolina does not have 3.

So yes, my expectations of NC are the same as for KM. NC now has the greater advantage of a brand new field house, locker room, etc. Recruit whomever from wherever to bring the rings to Waco. Do you think Scott Drew with one natty and a couple of elite eights sets his sights on Texas recruiting alone?

Let's just say we clearly have different expectations for BU wbb recruiting. I like mine better. No excuses. Bring in the best to win. Geno has been remarkable at bringing players to a place few would naturally gravitate, And, when he retires, expect the Tenn fall even faster. The sky is the limit and NC is the right person at the right time. Raise the bar. Support her recruiting rather than placing a ceiling or making excuses.
Big Bear
We need top 30 recruits.
blackie
fredbear said:

AP

Bu is not just a top 10 program. Name the number of schools with 3 wbb nattys, and Tennessee recruiting has removed them from the now shorter list. South Carolina does not have 3.

So yes, my expectations of NC are the same as for KM. NC now has the greater advantage of a brand new field house, locker room, etc. Recruit whomever from wherever to bring the rings to Waco. Do you think Scott Drew with one natty and a couple of elite eights sets his sights on Texas recruiting alone?

Let's just say we clearly have different expectations for BU wbb recruiting. I like mine better. No excuses. Bring in the best to win. Geno has been remarkable at bringing players to a place few would naturally gravitate, And, when he retires, expect the Tenn fall even faster. The sky is the limit and NC is the right person at the right time. Raise the bar. Support her recruiting rather than placing a ceiling or making excuses.
From what I have seen I think NC doesn't limit herself to any region or country. So I think she is doing what you are saying she should do. And with her experience in the pro game I can see Baylor with more international players (kind of like Drew, except different countries) and perhaps better exposure to recruits in the US. I think Texas is very important though and should be the first place to look if they are there because it is important for parents to be able to go to their daughter's games on at least an occasional basis.

I think your first paragraph is quickly becoming a moot point. I think the only coach that may win 3 WBB NCs is Staley because is there anyone else that has even 2 outside of the ones that have more than 2? The parity and the greater number of teams that in a given year can win is blowing up. I won't be here to see if this prediction comes truth, but unless I have forgotten someone I don't seen any coach over the next 30 years being even able to get to 3 championships if they don't already have 2 right now. My angst over our fan base is that if NC doesn't duplicate the type of success we have had over the last 20 years, that it would be a failure. And that is just not being fair and ignoring the reality of the sport's landscape we have now.
Brusinbear2001
I have noticed they are all following a girl that plays for the Spain National Team. I want to say her name Is Awa Fam. She is a post player and is ALOTTTT LIKE QUEEN.
Adriacus Peratuun
Awa Fam Thiam is an athletic [good but not great athlete] who actually finishes around the basket. And with both hands [finishes with left hand on left side and right hand on right side…..a big deal].

A 1 In 4 Out post. Not going to Pick & Pop [she is a rim roller but can shoot short jumpers].
With Vasconcelos adds much needed rim protection.

Wbbfan29
We sure do but, we can't just say she has been recruiting bad just because she hasn't got a top 30 recruit. There are plenty of players that were over 40 and great baylor players. Nina Davis, Moon ursin, Current player Bella fontleroy.

But overall. Yes I would love top 20 player. DLB is our only All-american.
Brusinbear2001
i've watched her film and she looks great!!
Dcheetah
Marcayla is top 30 and our program has the interest of some other top 2025s as you know.
Wbbfan29
Thanks Dcheetah, Keep forgetting about her . She committed so early it slips my mind sometimes.
BluesBear
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Awa Fam Thiam is an athletic [good but not great athlete] who actually finishes around the basket. And with both hands [finishes with left hand on left side and right hand on right side…..a big deal].

A 1 In 4 Out post. Not going to Pick & Pop [she is a rim roller but can shoot short jumpers].
With Vasconcelos adds much needed rim protection.

Sign her immediately! Great size. Moves off the ball really well and has great hands. and that touch is sweet. reminds me of Sophia young...
Big Bear
Bella was actually a top 10 until she decided to lay of summer ball then she dropped. But yes there are some lesser ranked players that turn out to be real good.
Wbbfan29
Yes I remember her being in the top 25 until she tore her acl.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Big Bear said:

Bella was actually a top 10 until she decided to lay of summer ball then she dropped. But yes there are some lesser ranked players that turn out to be real good.

Post injury?
Dcheetah
She fell into the 90s post injury but worked her way back to 50s post injury.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.