Lety Vasconcelos & Denae Fritz Enter transfer portal

7,302 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by Chibears2
LBhoopz#1fan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just seen this a few minutes ago.. Tbh we can't afford to lose another post especially with size like Vasconcelos .. I feel like this is all falling on Collins .. EXPERIENCE is a big key to getting back to the Natty! if we are up 30+ points everybody should be playing not just the first 7-8 girls!! How y'all feel about this
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
Baylor will add players from the transfer portal. I'm not even sweating one bit. Nicki Collen has followed Grace Van Slooten, Cameron Williams, Chance Gray, and Ruby Whitehorn on instagram recently. Not only that we could add Awa Fam for 2024 class but will see.
boatergal
Lety didn't develop into a significant minutes player at the D1 level. CNC knows what she is doing...I'm not concerned.
Bone Squad
I don't regret losing Lety. There were also not many 30 point victories for us this year, so that part is a non-issue.

Also, add Catarina Ferreira to the list.
blackie
LBhoopz#1fan said:

I just seen this a few minutes ago.. Tbh we can't afford to lose another post especially with size like Vasconcelos .. I feel like this is all falling on Collins .. EXPERIENCE is a big key to getting back to the Natty! if we are up 30+ points everybody should be playing not just the first 7-8 girls!! How y'all feel about this
I think I am responding to a troll that hasn't a clue as to what they are talking about. First you must have missed English class in your first sentence. Secondly, those two being in the portal has already been posted multiple times over the last couple of days. Third, outside of the first 8 games of the season when it occurred 4 times Baylor didn't beat anybody by 30+ points. Did you even watch the games this year? And even in those early games, mostly against very weak competition you are going to be going with who will be your main rotation to first find out what that rotation is going to be and secondly give them time to get used to each other before you play the games that really count. Most of our team was playing in a Baylor uniform for the first time.

If you are posting to rag on CNC, you missed the boat. That ship has sailed. (And oh by the way, it is Collen, not Collins....sheesh you can't even get that right.) She has proven her ability to coach here and the majority of those that actually follow the program here are happy we have her.

I had high hopes for Lety, but watching her play she seemed to be a continual project. Its hard to project what kids will do when they are taken out of a situation in HS where the competition is so variable and questionable. We have always had some disappointments in player transitioning to the college game.

"How y'all feel about this?" The goal is to upgrade your team. No doubt the staff gave Lety every opportunity in practice to show she would eventually be a very good player. They didn't see it. We need to move on. With Fritz we also had high hopes. With her it just never seemed that she was comfortable and didn't seem to be all involved on the court. Have no idea what the problem might have been. She deservers to have a chance to be a regular player or starter on another team. On ours there are just too many others ahead of her for earned playing time.

First time I have thrown out the term "troll" to anyone on these boards. However this time all the evidence points to that. Have a good day.
EvilTroyAndAbed
LBhoopz#1fan said:

Who is Collins?
Bone Squad
I think this is her.
LTBear19
I think the OP's concerns are legit, and I can see where they're coming from.

There's an old saying in basketball: You can't teach height.

And seeing that we struggled down low at times throughout the season (because we didn't have any), it sure would have been nice to have kept a player with Lety's size.

Sure, she was a project, but most first-year players typically are.

Need I remind everyone that both Lauren and Kalani struggled early on at the beginning stages of their careers, but I'd say things turned out rather well for both once the dust had settled.

Most basketball players tend to make a significant jump and mature between their freshmen and sophomore years.

I am disappointed that we didn't get a chance to see if Lety could truly shine here with a full off-season to work with (assuming she does not return).

Also, if you need anymore evidence as to why you want to keep size on your team, go ahead and turn it over to ESPN, where you'll see Kamilla Cardoso torching NC State at the moment.

Time will tell whether this departure proves to be a slight bump in the road - or whether it is one that we'll come to regret later on down the road.
fredbear
No troll here. Love coach. But u develop 6"7', not leave 6"7' on the bench when you are up. Heck i would have played her some in 1st qtr every game. Waste. Recruit her like crazy, then let her rot on the bench. Don't tell me she is not ready to play. Get her ready.
Bear3
Very few games we were up 30 + points……. Most games were pretty close .
Brusinbear2001
i think it could be a lot of things maybe the way we played or are hoping to play does not fit the style she thinks is best for her. As a fan would you rather run a offense for our guards Buggs and Bella or run a offense hoping one of our inexperienced bigs can carry us?
EvilTroyAndAbed
Why are you telling me this?
LTBear19
It doesn't have to be an 'either/or' situation.

But personally, I would always prefer to have a 6'7 safety net.

While the future looks bright with Bella and Buggs, the reality is that we will have nights where our shots simply aren't falling.

So you need to have a backup plan to manufacture points.

Plus, if I'm an opposing team, I would not look forward to matching up against even a semi-decent 6'7 player, as foul trouble tends to rear its ugly head for your own post players (particularly those without the size to match).

Not saying she was going to be the second coming of Brittney Griner, but I was hoping we'd get to see if Lety made the leaps and bounds we were all hoping for (next season).
Brusinbear2001
but that is why we are using the portal to create more depth and a safety net. The players we are looking at are more than capable of being that for us. 6'7 is nice but there has to be a reason she did not get minutes because it was clear we needed that and we had it so why not use it? Bad Practice? It could be a lot of things. But this is what it is now.
HistorianBear
I don't know why any post player would come or stay at Baylor. We are out to develop guards now to throw up as many 3-point shots as possible, not to run a post presence. Even if we had the second coming of Griner, this staff wouldn't know what to do with her. They'd send her after rebounds and not much else.
Brusinbear2001
defiantly false, we don't play the same way as we used to but to say we don't want a post is absolutely ridiculous. And i'm certain if a big that earned minutes came they would be given.
Baylorbear1391
fredbear said:

No troll here. Love coach. But u develop 6"7', not leave 6"7' on the bench when you are up. Heck i would have played her some in 1st qtr every game. Waste. Recruit her like crazy, then let her rot on the bench. Don't tell me she is not ready to play. Get her ready.

Okay, go be a trainer/coach and get her ready
BaylorTaxman
Baylorbear1391 said:

fredbear said:

I don't think he is the one being paid to go do that.

Anyway, I am disappointed she is leaving. But in these days of the transfer portal, it is hard to pass judgement without knowing what went on behind the scenes. If we bring in an effective post player with height, then that is great.
Threebears
Good freshmen need to be playing and contributing during their first year. LV played some, but she didn't rebound that well, and she tended to get the ball knocked out of her hands. We don't need two-three year projects with the portal out there. To play much, she would have to be better than DLB and Fontleroy, which she wasn't.
boatergal
Absolutely agree! She would have played more if she consistently demonstrated the skills in practice. Portal has changed roster management
ZachTay
<yawn>
Bear3
Agree! Lety just did not have the skills to get a lot of playing time. She may have them in the future but she did not this year.
Baylorbear1391
BaylorTaxman said:

Baylorbear1391 said:

fredbear said:

I don't think he is the one being paid to go do that.

Anyway, I am disappointed she is leaving. But in these days of the transfer portal, it is hard to pass judgement without knowing what went on behind the scenes. If we bring in an effective post player with height, then that is great.

Thanks for pointing out my point. None of us have a bit of knowledge of anything with this. Super easy to play armchair coach/trainer when you don't have to deal with it.
Bear2393
I guess the coaching staff did a piss poor job of evaluating talent!
blackie
Bear2393 said:

I guess the coaching staff did a piss poor job of evaluating talent!
Maybe, maybe not. High school doesn't always translate to college. KM had some busts in her day when players did not live up to what was expected based on HS play. And as pointed out in the previous post, we don't see what is going on outside of what we see on the court. We also don't know what is going on with the player personally. She could be home sick and wanting to get closer to home. We have no way to know.

It gets back to whether or not you trust the coaches to make the best decision possible or you don't. If you don't, then focus your attention elsewhere. Does no one any good to come on here and put up strawmen based on absolutely no real facts.
Bear2393
At least I'm not attacking the student athlete like all of you!
Bear2393
Yes, Blackie and his agenda…always taking cheap shots at Kim Mulkey, the greatest coach that Baylor has ever had. He says that Baylor women's basketball was going straight downhill the last few years that she was coaching the team! We were only winning more than 30 ball games a year and I believe we won a national championship a couple years before she left. Blackie says she couldn't recruit even though the team she left had at least five 5 star recruits and the year after she left, Baylor had 2 top 10 WNBA draft picks along with another player drafted in the 1st round. Kim also made sure her players attained degrees from Baylor, I believe she won 3 national championships while at Baylor along with more than 10-12 straight Big 12 championships. She also was the only one that would stand up for Our beloved university when no one else would! She was as loyal as they get to Baylor University! I just hate to see Letty go after one year especially when all we hear from Baylor fans is that we need a big center.
Baylorbear1391
Been supporting WBB for most of my life. Was extremely involved when I was in campus with is as well. Personally worked with since it Mulkey's staff and had no issues at all. Sad it ended poorly. But, just as you accuse others of taking shots at mulkey, it seems like many, maybe you or maybe not, on this board are on the other side of it too. She was definitely not without her faults. Like any other human being.

Newsflash, she isn't here anymore and isn't fretting over what's happening here. So, this kinda crap from either side does nothing. Collen is the coach now. Support her the same as you have others, or don't. But to say anyone has "attacked" a student athlete is no different than saying you have attacked and gone after Collen. So, if you are going to get defensive with that statement, don't try throwing crap at others.

Fact is this. Letty has been at Baylor. In her very short time on the court, she has fouled like crazy, not scored much, and just looked out of position. I sit at every game and watch. Would I have loved to see her more? 100%. However, the cards didn't play out that way so far. Is it that she has panned out? Idk. Is it that the coaching staff doesn't trust her? Idk. Is it that she just needs time? Idk. One way or another, not a single one of the people have this convo have any of the answers to those questions. Sometimes players pan out, and sometimes they don't. Thats the world of sports. But, the funny thing of this all, is we don't even know if she turns around and decides to stay at Baylor. But to jump on either side right now is irrelevant and irresponsible. How bout we cheer on Baylor and whoever is donning that jersey/name. INCLUDING Letty for as long as she is, and INCLUDING Collen for as long as she is.
jumpinjoe
So Letty has entered the transfer portal. Has she made a decision of her next destination? Is it possible she might stay at Baylor for another year. You can teach rebounding, foot placement, defensive positioning…, but you can't teach 6'7".
Joined BaylorFans in 1999 under username jumpinjoe. Have always been Jumpinjoe. Proud 4 Year Baylor letterman and 1968 graduate and charter member of Quartermiler U, produced school record in 400 IH.
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
jumpinjoe said:

So Letty has entered the transfer portal. Has she made a decision of her next destination? Is it possible she might stay at Baylor for another year. You can teach rebounding, foot placement, defensive positioning…, but you can't teach 6'7".

Technically yes she can come back, but it isn't likely. She hasn't decided yet on a new school. I know that baylor is looking at post like Aaronette Vonleh from Colorado and Cameron Williams from Michigan. This is based on Nicki Collen following both on instagram.
Cove Dawg
Bear2393 said:

At least I'm not attacking the student athlete like all of you!

You do realize that there is no longer a term "student athlete", right?
ZachTay
jumpinjoe said:

Who is the "you"? Baylor doesn;t have that kind of coaching staff.
Threebears
Vasconcelos may develop into a solid player, but it wouldn't likely be next year. Abraham will be going into her third year, and she will need to give us quality minutes. Bartley showed some promise until she had a back injury. She could be more of a force and a scoring threat because she has a nice touch. Vonleh will play a lot. One or two more good juniors would be helpful especially if one is a shooting guard. Fritz puzzles me. She just didn't seem to be a good fit on last year's team-not enough minutes to develop. VanGuytenbeek really developed in the last half of the season, but she got significant minutes. Minutes are hard to come by when the team is trying to win every game.
Easy Money
Also you can't teach a giraffe to be a race horse
bawitdaball
Threebears said:

Vasconcelos may develop into a solid player, but it wouldn't likely be next year. Abraham will be going into her third year, and she will need to give us quality minutes. Bartley showed some promise until she had a back injury. She could be more of a force and a scoring threat because she has a nice touch. Vonleh will play a lot. One or two more good juniors would be helpful especially if one is a shooting guard. Fritz puzzles me. She just didn't seem to be a good fit on last year's team-not enough minutes to develop. VanGuytenbeek really developed in the last half of the season, but she got significant minutes. Minutes are hard to come by when the team is trying to win every game.

When is a team not trying to win every game?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.