Dawn Staley being woke again

8,091 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by TinFoilHatPreacherBear
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Many of them are denouncing the trans insanity.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
historian
IowaBear said:

Honestly thought the comment would get way more flak on here. Hasn't gotten any which is a pleasant surprise haha

Those who were tempted thought the better of it. They don't want to look like even bigger fools than they already seem to be.
historian
Cp2310 said:

Always the name calling lol. Most woke folks only find injustice where there is injustice. I guess if you don't believe in the in the injustice being discussed then you believe everyone discussing it is stupid.

Yes, but they define injustice differently than everyone else just like they define "woman" differently (when they try, that is). They think "hate speech" is anything they hate. They think it's an injustice when Trump, or anyone else they don't like, wins an election or when that person actually governs as they promised to. They think it's an injustice when hard working Americans get to keep more of their own money instead of being robbed by a corrupt government who will use it for evil purposes. They think it's an injustice when ordinary people drive pick up trucks or SUVs (really anything but an EV) but not when Al Gore or other activists travel in private jets. They think it's an injustice when Israel defends itself from terrorist attacks but not when genocidal terrorists murder over 1,000 innocent people, kidnap hundreds more, rape many women (some so brutally as to break their pelvis bones), & commit other atrocities.

There are many other examples.
BUatbirth
historian said:

Cp2310 said:

Always the name calling lol. Most woke folks only find injustice where there is injustice. I guess if you don't believe in the in the injustice being discussed then you believe everyone discussing it is stupid.

Yes, but they define injustice differently than everyone else just like they define "woman" differently (when they try, that is). They think "hate speech" is anything they hate. They think it's an injustice when Trump, or anyone else they don't like, wins an election or when that person actually governs as they promised to. They think it's an injustice when hard working Americans get to keep more of their own money instead of being robbed by a corrupt government who will use it for evil purposes. They think it's an injustice when ordinary people drive pick up trucks or SUVs (really anything but an EV) but not when Al Gore or other activists travel in private jets. They think it's an injustice when Israel defends itself from terrorist attacks but not when genocidal terrorists murder over 1,000 innocent people, kidnap hundreds more, rape many women (some so brutally as to break their pelvis bones), & commit other atrocities.

100% Preach it
Rg6
historian said:

Cp2310 said:

Exactly. Woke people = hypocrites. Rules for thee, but not for me.
historian
Whether one uses the label "woke", "Leftist", "liberal" ( inaccurate but still used often), or some other, it's all the same. Evil, tyrannical, hypocritical, & doomed to fail in the end.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
historian said:

Many of them are denouncing the trans insanity.

Finally they are
It was predictable. The Scumbags that were selling the insanity and the lemmings that went along with the insanity were sure to have some snap out of their utter insanity. Now many progressives will pretend to have never been for it, but lying is sort of their thing
Very predictable
Texasjeremy
But was she able to pull off the double and also tie it back to race?
historian
I don't think so, to her credit.
Texasjeremy
historian said:

I don't think so, to her credit.

Don't give her too much credit. If she would have been able to, she would have definitely done it.
BikerBear
Brownbw said:

Cp2310 said:

It's a serious question. Whenever someone calls someone woke I always ask them to define it. For some reason I never get a definition.
examples might be
California new age
Man can be a women if he thinks he is
Men can play women's sports if they feel kind of feminine
We need to close down the petroleum industry because of global warming
Airplanes need to be outlawed because they are too loud when they fly overhead
There are plenty more examples but not sure I know a good definition that doesn't involve the word stupid. Don't know if this helps but I tried

So you don't know what it is either!
Brownbw
BikerBear said:

Brownbw said:

Cp2310 said:

It's a serious question. Whenever someone calls someone woke I always ask them to define it. For some reason I never get a definition.
examples might be
California new age
Man can be a women if he thinks he is
Men can play women's sports if they feel kind of feminine
We need to close down the petroleum industry because of global warming
Airplanes need to be outlawed because they are too loud when they fly overhead
There are plenty more examples but not sure I know a good definition that doesn't involve the word stupid. Don't know if this helps but I tried

So you don't know what it is either!
How is this STUPID PEOPLE WITH NO COMMON SENSE
2023 ADOPT-A-BEAR
KADEN SIERACKI #74
6’8’’ 315 RF WOODLANDS
Big boy is going to put some hurt on big 12 foes
Dr. J
Staley's statement is not WOKE, it is simply WRONG !!
historian
It's very wrong and quite possibly based upon woke sentiments.
ScottS
She'll change her tune when men on opposing teams are dunking and dominating her team.
Eball
ScottS said:

She'll change her tune when men on opposing teams are dunking and dominating her team.
She is just trying to get a jump on recruiting.
Jorkel
ScottS said:

Someone's gotta give them a challenge
DP4LIFE
IowaBear said:

Question was definitely dumb.
I'll get flak but I've always been of the opinion biological guys should play against other biological guys. For the obvious competitive reasoning
The question wasn't dumb. it's very relevant in today's world where certain factions believe that men should be allowed to play women's sports at all levels. Staley, the top coach in WOMEN's collegiate basketball, had a perfect opportunity to speak truth - and she failed.

The sad part is that you'd have to internalize getting "flak" for simply stating truth.

We need more people to stand up for truth. Otherwise, society will continue to decay into greater and greater decadence and divisiveness as people choose their own "truths" no matter the consequences to others.
historian
It's a very important issue for the reasons you stated but no one should ask a coach that question at a press conference preparing for a huge game in the tournament. Now, had the opposing team included a man he was going to play in that game then it would have been very appropriate. In the context it was asked, however, it was an unnecessary and unfair distraction. It it's a "gotcha" question and it's political, neither of which are appropriate in a pregame press conference. In the context of the moment, it was a dumb question.
Hyork
True, but if she is going to answer the question, she needs a much better response.
ChoiceBear
historian
Absolutely.
Brownbw
historian said:

Absolutely.
but just maybe she is as woke as she sounds. They are out there!!
2023 ADOPT-A-BEAR
KADEN SIERACKI #74
6’8’’ 315 RF WOODLANDS
Big boy is going to put some hurt on big 12 foes
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
Libs think that they're so clever when they ask people to define woke. It's kinda a trendy stupid thing they do which proves nothing but makes them feel smug.

Truth is most people have a hard time describing broad terms. If one were to ask anyone to define broad descriptive terms like masculine or feminine they couldn't do it effectively without looking to a dictionary. But most people could define/describe it by giving examples or characteristics of masculinity or femininity. Defining woke is no different, it is easier to define by examples and characteristics.

Now as for woke libs, they have a hard time even defining something as simple as what is a woman, but the wokies gonna get mad that others can't recite an official Websters dictionary definition of "woke". Whatever.
blackie
TinFoilHatPreacherBear said:

Libs think that they're so clever when they ask people to define woke. It's kinda a trendy stupid thing they do which proves nothing but makes them feel smug.

Truth is most people have a hard time describing broad terms. If one were to ask anyone to define broad descriptive terms like masculine or feminine they couldn't do it effectively without looking to a dictionary. But most people could define/describe it by giving examples or characteristics of masculinity or femininity. Defining woke is no different, it is easier to define by examples and characteristics.

Now as for woke libs, they have a hard time even defining something as simple as what is a woman, but the wokies gonna get mad that others can't recite an official Websters dictionary definition of "woke". Whatever.
From the Websters dictionary (online):

"aware of and actively attentive to important societal facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)"

To be honest, I don't see a lot to be against that. Now, if you blow it up to mean everything you are against, I guess you can do that. On the other side, some are doing more than what the definition says.

Seems to me however that if when I was growing up in the 50s and 60s had we been a little "woke" back then there is a good chance we wouldn't be seeing the problems we see today, at least not to the extent we see them. Most people didn't care about such things then, unless they were ones that were on the short end of the stick.

I have seen a lot of injustice during my life. Laws have been changed over that time to "officially" level the playing field. But the problem as I see it is that people are still the ones who have to apply the law. Laws don't change people's internal feelings about something. I see plenty of people with the same biases and actions today as I saw back then. Unfortunately, I sometimes get trapped into that as well, despite how hard I try to avoid it. The laws don't mean anything if the people who have the power to apply them don't want to or can't apply them. Too many people's attitudes about themselves in relationship to others is no better now than before.

Bottom line, IMO, in how it is used today, it is a lame term that is a crutch to addressing the real issues that some want to avoid having to admit, address or discuss.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
blackie said:

"aware of and actively attentive to important societal facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)"

To be honest, I don't see a lot to be against that. Now, if you blow it up to mean everything you are against, I guess you can do that. On the other side, some are doing more than what the definition says.

Seems to me however that if when I was growing up in the 50s and 60s had we been a little "woke" back then there is a good chance we wouldn't be seeing the problems we see today, at least not to the extent we see them. Most people didn't care about such things then, unless they were ones that were on the short end of the stick.

I have seen a lot of injustice during my life. Laws have been changed over that time to "officially" level the playing field. But the problem as I see it is that people are still the ones who have to apply the law. Laws don't change people's internal feelings about something. I see plenty of people with the same biases and actions today as I saw back then. Unfortunately, I sometimes get trapped into that as well, despite how hard I try to avoid it. The laws don't mean anything if the people who have the power to apply them don't want to or can't apply them. Too many people's attitudes about themselves in relationship to others is no better now than before.

Bottom line, IMO, in how it is used today, it is a lame term that is a crutch to addressing the real issues that some want to avoid having to admit, address or discuss.
While there's nothing on the surface that's wrong with that definition exactly, the fact of the matter is that it's actually just as nebulous as you (or the left) claim "woke" to be. That definition actually means and says nothing specific. So when a liberal in all their attempted cleverness asks someone to define woke, the truth is the definition is pretty much meaningless itself.

What's an important societal fact and issue? Pretty much everything in the political arena depending on who you ask. I think taxes are too extensive and burdensome, and that actually makes the poor poorer. That makes me woke right? Well, no, not according to a liberal, because they have a monopoly on the word. Conservative and many libertarian values can't be woke by the left's standards. And conservatives are glad to let them have the monopoly on "wokeness" because of all the craziness and lawlessness coming from the left that falls under their umbrella of social justice.

Also, when it comes to social justice, when you claim someone is a victim, you also make someone the victimizer. And when there isn't a victimizer exactly to be found, the left finds a way to create one and pass guilt on to that person or people group. That's how this plays out. In most cases, it's completely unfair and based on ridiculous logic.

So back to the original point, given that the definition of woke is completely unspecific, the only way to describe woke in any meaningful way is to provide examples. And the right has lots of stupid crazy examples of wokeness playing out by the left.
Adriacus Peratuun

blackie said:

While there's nothing on the surface that's wrong with that definition exactly, the fact of the matter is that it's actually just as nebulous as you (or the left) claim "woke" to be. That definition actually means and says nothing specific. So when a liberal in all their attempted cleverness asks someone to define woke, the truth is the definition is pretty much meaningless itself.

What's an important societal fact and issue? Pretty much everything in the political arena depending on who you ask. I think taxes are too extensive and burdensome, and that actually makes the poor poorer. That makes me woke right? Well, no, not according to a liberal, because they have a monopoly on the word. Conservative and many libertarian values can't be woke by the left's standards. And conservatives are glad to let them have the monopoly on "wokeness" because of all the craziness and lawlessness coming from the left that falls under their umbrella of social justice.

Also, when it comes to social justice, when you claim someone is a victim, you also make someone the victimizer. And when there isn't a victimizer exactly to be found, the left finds a way to create one and pass guilt on to that person or people group. That's how this plays out. In most cases, it's completely unfair and based on ridiculous logic.

So back to the original point, given that the definition of woke is completely unspecific, the only way to describe woke in any meaningful way is to provide examples. And the right has lots of stupid crazy examples of wokeness playing out by the left.

Weirdness:

Folks purposefully create a politicized buzzword that has no objective meaning.
Opponents turn that meaningless word back on them.
They then demand a definition of their meaningless word being used against them.
They act all uptight & righteous when their opponents cannot give them a tight definition of the meaningless word that they created.

In no rational world would anyone behave this way.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
Adriacus Peratuun said:

blackie said:

Weirdness:

Folks purposefully create a politicized buzzword that has no objective meaning.
Opponents turn that meaningless word back on them.
They then demand a definition of their meaningless word being used against them.
They act all uptight & righteous when their opponents cannot give them a tight definition of the meaningless word that they created.

In no rational world would anyone behave this way.
Yep, that's the world the woke have created. They created a world in which they can't lose because logic isn't important or even considered. One of the best examples of wokeness - They can't even define what a man or woman is, yet they ask you to define a word that even Webster's can't define specifically.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.