Tara Has Retired

2,382 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by Brian Ethridge
Brusinbear2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KIKI COME TO BAYLOR WE NEED YOU GIRL!!!
bawitdaball
Not a huge surprise given the realignment and the stress that is about to be put on Stanford. Thankful for all she has done for the sport and hope she is able to relax a bit now. She has put in so much work!!!
blackie
bawitdaball said:

Not a huge surprise given the realignment and the stress that is about to be put on Stanford. Thankful for all she has done for the sport and hope she is able to relax a bit now. She has put in so much work!!!
Stanford is the next example to watch as to whether or not a legacy program with a HOF coach can remain where it is without taking at least a temporary dip when that coach is no longer there. Stanford may fare better than most however because of its academic statue, although the demise of the PAC doesn't help its cause. I suspect when Paige completes her eligibility, Geno will be next.
whitetrash
Gray flannel pantsuits marked down to rock bottom clearance prices in the Bay Area.
Bone Squad
blackie said:

Stanford may fare better than most however because of its academic statue...
I actually see that hurting them. Tara was able to bring in great recruits in spite of Stanford's academic requirements, not because of them, and it has been reported that she often cooperated in getting athletes connected with other schools when were unable to get into Stanford. Between the Pac-12 falling apart, trying to meet Stanford's requirements, and losing an all-time great coach, I think they are going to fall dramatically and have a very difficult time ever recovering.

And I say this as someone who generally rooted for Stanford in the tournament as long as they didn't play Baylor.
BearkatBear
I figured this was coming. thought about it when making my bracket and picked them to the final 4 as her last ride
blackie
Bone Squad said:

blackie said:

Stanford may fare better than most however because of its academic statue...
I actually see that hurting them. Tara was able to bring in great recruits in spite of Stanford's academic requirements, not because of them, and it has been reported that she often cooperated in getting athletes connected with other schools when were unable to get into Stanford. Between the Pac-12 falling apart, trying to meet Stanford's requirements, and losing an all-time great coach, I think they are going to fall dramatically and have a very difficult time ever recovering.

And I say this as someone who generally rooted for Stanford in the tournament as long as they didn't play Baylor.
The angle I was thinking was perhaps wrong. I was thinking that Stanford's academic reputation would be a drawing card for athletes, sort of a deciding factor to push them to Stanford. But if they don't have the academic standing required for admission, I certainly see your point. Have know idea as to whether the players they have been getting could or couldn't have gotten in without the BB push or not. Only one example, but would be interested in what Jana might say about it.

edit...
I might add that the sentence I bolded above is the exact thing we have seen everywhere when the elite coach left and why I have always thought the expectations, really demands to avoid criticism people placed on KM's successor, whoever it would have been were not realistic or fair.
TechDawgMc
Historically, Stanford's academic status has been a huge advantage for wbb recruiting. With little in the way of high paying jobs in the field, a Stanford degree was a major draw. Sure, some players weren't good enough to get in, but most who were good enough saw it as a very good opportunity.

Now the money around NIL and even some of the pro opportunities have diminished that advantage. The travel may also hurthow do you survive at Stanford while flying all over the country? Ten years ago I'd have bet on Stanford staying the course, but now it might be too much.
Adriacus Peratuun
Stanford plus:

keeping players eligible is not overly problematic because 95% of classes are Pass Fail.

Stanford minus:

once a player graduates, getting them accepted into grad program is harder than winning the lottery without buying a ticket.

That degree is worth a ton but how many Going Pro Not In Something Else players really care?

Have Stanford and Tara done everything to smooth the transition? highly likely.
Will it matter when kid's eyes wander? Not likely.
blackie
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Stanford plus:

keeping players eligible is not overly problematic because 95% of classes are Pass Fail.

Stanford minus:

once a player graduates, getting them accepted into grad program is harder than winning the lottery without buying a ticket.

That degree is worth a ton but how many Going Pro Not In Something Else players really care?

I have said it in other threads, but I am still waiting to see a program that loses the HOF WBB coach and NOT fall. UConn will be next. Yet some people here were clueless enough to think that Baylor would be different and just took it as an opportunity to rag on the AD and new coach when we weren't. With a possible equal in ND, Baylor has done better thus far than any of them for the time period that as passed (3 years) and we had absolutely no warning or time to prepare. Tennessee is still wandering in the desert considering where they were. UT took years and 3 coaches to find their way. Duke and NC took a hit as well.

Will Stanford buck the trend and when will UConn have to find out their fate post Geno?
Adriacus Peratuun
blackie said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

Stanford plus:

Stanford minus:

I have said it in other threads, but I am still waiting to see a program that loses the HOF WBB coach and NOT fall. UConn will be next. Yet some people here were clueless enough to think that Baylor would be different and just took it as an opportunity to rag on the AD and new coach when we weren't. With a possible equal in ND, Baylor has done better thus far than any of them for the time period that as passed (3 years) and we had absolutely no warning or time to prepare. Tennessee is still wandering in the desert considering where they were. UT took years and 3 coaches to find their way. Duke and NC took a hit as well.

Will Stanford buck the trend and when will UConn have to find out their fate post Geno?
UConn faces a double whammy……..when Geno retires they will use the opportunity to cut their bloated WBB budget by 30-50%. That will be on top of paying the new coach 25-30% of what they are paying Geno.

Losing $40 million annually for over half a decade [athletic department losses] is simply not sustainable.
The bill eventually has to be paid.
Task Force 2015
I wonder if UConn will promoter Chris Dailey when Geno retires.She has been with him since the beginning.She is in her sixties ( I think).One of her jobs has been restraining Geno to avoid technical files.She is a tall blonde next to Geno that we have all seen many times.She might be able to maintain the roster better than a new face.
blackie
Task Force 2015 said:

I wonder if UConn will promoter Chris Dailey when Geno retires.She has been with him since the beginning.She is in her sixties ( I think).One of her jobs has been restraining Geno to avoid technical files.She is a tall blonde next to Geno that we have all seen many times.She might be able to maintain the roster better than a new face.
I have seen or heard somewhere that once Geno retires, so will she. Someone else will have to confirm that.
Task Force 2015
That Chris would retire with Geno would make some sense.Geno has former players now head coaches Carla Berude(Princeton) and Shea Ralph(Vanderbilt)if they want to keep the job in the family.I am sure that there would be many interested candidates even if the budget is cut.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
I was watching ISU/Stanford and after an And1 she ran on the court and chest bumped her player, then just scurried back to the bench and put her head down like a child in trouble. Was just odd and alnost like she wasn't there while being there physically. Not sure if anyone else saw the play.

Wish her well.
Polarbear
I saw the same play. Was really odd, because she came several steps out on the court from the bench. Referees could have easily called a technical foul.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Polarbear said:

I saw the same play. Was really odd, because she came several steps out on the court from the bench. Referees could have easily called a technical foul.

Yeah, wasn't sure why she wasn't. She made contact with a player.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.