WNBA Mock Draft Predictions

2,043 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by Brusinbear2001
Brusinbear2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am just looking to start getting some conversations around the WNBA going on this board and with the draft tomorrow night want to know who should go where.

1. Indiana- Caitlin Clark for sure.

2. LA- Kamila Cardoso you cannot just let the opportunity of 6'7 go bye it does not come around often especially with this much potential. She has the opposite to be like a Liz Cambage but not as wild.

3. Chicago- Rickea Jackson she is very versatile and the Chicago Sky need a ton of pieces in this rebuild all over the place and this will be a good first puzzle piece.

4. LA- Brink just seems to be a fit here. I think she and Cardoso can be two trees that in the future can be dominant. In the future this could be one of the best post defenses that we hear about in the W. Brink has the ability to shoot with more range so the paint will not be clogged up with them two sharing it, she also can create her own shot. I like Curt being one of the best developing coaches in the league to have these two finding some magic along side one another.

5. Dallas- This could be a trade pick they need more scoring from the guard position to help Arike out. I think they could target teams like LA, and the Sky who need a lot of pieces during the rebuilds they are going through. They could trade for some picks a player like Zia Cooke from LA. Or for the Sky maybe like a Chennedy Carter back to Texas and give Chicago another pick. But since that is all theory I will say they go with Jacy Sheldon from Ohio State.

6. D.C.- Aliyah Edwards is someone i would get here if she is left ñ. This middle part of the draft gets kind of sticky in terms of who they should get. But she would not be a bad choice at all.

7. Chicago- They will get Angel Reese at this pick. She will be partnered with Jackson and maybe even play the 5 early in her career while they draft and get depth. But the Chicago market is going to be amazing for the W. The Chicago and Indiana Rivalry can begin with them being close in proximity. It just would be amazing for the league.

8. Minnesota- I think a player like Pili could go here, unless Aliyah Edwards is left on the board still. Then they go for her and get the Canada connection even more.

9. Dallas- I think they can do a bunch here but maybe another guard would not be bad for them and I think that could be Dyashia Fair. She is the 3rd in NCAA all time scoring only under Clark and Plum. They need scoring here it is. Along with Sheldon they will be battling it out in training camp. My hot take is Fair wins out this battle between the two.

10. Connecticut - they could either use a guard or a post player off of the bench. But I think they ultimately get Charisma Osbourne. They are an older team but she can be molded by these players.

11. New York- Nika Muhl. We saw what she was able to do against Clark and that was great defense. Someone has to learn from Vandersloot they do not need the best scorer. They need someone to dish it out to Stewie, JJ, Sabrina, and Laney. This would be the best fit for her.

12. Atlanta- This is an odd pick because they did a lot of good stuff in Free Agency and it feels the covered a lot of their holes going into next season. So i predict they make a pick for the future and that is Kitley. She will have to
sit a year and the Dream have Tina Charles coming in think she is a great big that will get passed on because of other teams having bigger holes that need to be filled now whether that is for championship reasons or to start there build and develop.

I would love to see what you all have to say!!

The draft order as of 4/14 6pm is
Indiana
LA
Chicago
LA
Dallas
DC
Chicago
Minnesota
Dallas
Connecticut
New York
Atlanta
12au
I'd be shocked if Brink doesn't go 2. You don't see bigs that can guard on the perimeter that often.
Brusinbear2001
the thing is if they do Cardoso at 2 Chicago is going to do Jackson at 3 so you still get her. If not you get Brink and Jackson. and that was the problem with the Sparks they have too many forwards and Brink is a forward the next level especially because of her ability to defense the perimeter. You have to play it the way you can get the best picks for you and your team all together.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
I don't get the Brink love.
Brusinbear2001
her frame, and her foul issues will be tough at the 5 but with the other 4's LA has she could really blend with them until she learns her way around the league.
12au
Brink is like the 5-tool center fielder prospect in baseball. If she pans out she could be amazing. Cardoso doesn't have that upside. Hard to imagine her exceeding role player status. Tbh I think I'd rather have Reese over Cardoso too.
Brusinbear2001
Cardoso is better in the pros and like her international play was a good example. The defensive 3 seconds helps her on offense. She can be physical with post players and has the upside to develop her shot to a better level than it is but for a WNBA big she has the pieces necessary now to atleast start especially for a LA of Chicago team that's in rebuild modes.
Adriacus Peratuun
Cardoso is this year's version of Teaira McCowan, Kalani Brown, etc.

Great college player but too slow footed to thrive in the WNBA. She will get put in ball screen action until she is run out of the league. Shooters are too good to hide her. She drops & they will simply rise up and shoot it. She tries to take them and they blow by her.

There are only 12 starting center positions in the WNBA……between college and overseas the WNBA can't even manage to find 1 viable new option per year.

That is why a Lauren Jackson, Brittney Griner, etc. plays forever and why so many teams end up playing a 4 at the 5 for a majority of the minutes.

And Angel Reese is even more worthless. A 4 who has no 3 point shot.
Call 1985 and tell them we have one of their players.
Brusinbear2001
I feel that Cardoso can run the floor great!! I do not think she is perfect and doesn't need to grow but like Tierra she was in a situation at Indiana that have her the opportunity and time to grow. Cardoso would be in the same situation in LA. And Curt Miller has been known for developing talent in the league look at Brionna Jones for the Sun and what she is even going into next season for that team before her injury.
BUatbirth
Brian Ethridge said:

I don't get the Brink love.
Thank you. She is no slouch…but just seems like she should be better than she is.
Listen to the hype…then watch her play…meh
Brian Ethridge
Staff
12au said:

Brink is like the 5-tool center fielder prospect in baseball. If she pans out she could be amazing. Cardoso doesn't have that upside. Hard to imagine her exceeding role player status. Tbh I think I'd rather have Reese over Cardoso too.
Potential over production is what I see with her.
Jack Bauer
itsjuzme
Neither Edwards nor Blackwell were drafted. I thought CNC's pro-style offense was supposed to prepare and position our players for the next level.
BUVA
itsjuzme said:

Neither Edwards nor Blackwell were drafted. I thought CNC's pro-style offense was supposed to prepare and position our players for the next level.

Only 1 Big12 player selected, Taiyanna Jackson from KS. Celeste Taylor from Ohio State started her college career at Texas then Duke. Hopefully Alijah and Dre will be picked up.
blackie
itsjuzme said:

Neither one is good enough for the WNBA. Got nothing to do with the quality of the coaching, which is what you want to diss. They, just like most that want to continue to play will do so in Europe or elsewhere.
Adriacus Peratuun
itsjuzme said:

Blackwell is maybe 5'11 and Edwards is maybe 6'1 [eyeball says 5'10 and 6'0] and both players never developed a perimeter game [pre-Baylor or at Baylor] and had to live in the post.

Explain to us all how:

1) scheme is supposed to fix that size shortcoming?

2) where the magical growth elixir is stored for them to get to 6'4 or 6'5 and be draftable?
ScottS
itsjuzme said:

Do either have a COVID year and could return?
Bone Squad
Both already used all possible eligibility.
bawitdaball
ScottS said:

itsjuzme said:

Do either have a COVID year and could return?

Blackwell is known for her rebounding and rarely looked like he told self post injury. She is also too short for the 5 in the pros and doesn't have the footwork or quickness currently for the 3 position.

Edward's has a very unorthodox shot and is more of a volume shooter. In reality there will be maybe 10-11 players drafted that end up on final rosters. They will both have solid careers overseas and I do think both understand the game better as a result of their time at Baylor.
itsjuzme
blackie said:

itsjuzme said:

Neither one is good enough for the WNBA. Got nothing to do with the quality of the coaching, which is what you want to diss. They, just like most that want to continue to play will do so in Europe or elsewhere.

I was merely offering food for thought. I like CNC a lot.
Brusinbear2001
I think the big issues is that they had to play out of position a lot. Aijha is not a 5 but she had to be ours. That hurt her a lot.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.