We have a new post player.

3,785 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by blackie
Cp2310
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Polarbear
Outstanding.
blackie
Just stay healthy......PLEASE!
Dcheetah
Fantastic news!
historian
Welcome to Baylor!!!
β€œIncline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
WacoKelly83
RSBear
I have been very impressed with her when watching her play this season!
fredbear
Thank you for being a bear!
BU71
Dcheetah said:

Fantastic news!
Yes, I can't wait to hear CNC talk about how she fits and what she expects from her.
Heart
Yay! Welcome
Old300Bear
6'3" is not very tall for a post. Would like an athletic 6'5" or taller.
fredbear
Tall enough to get it done against LSU! 24 points on reigning champs. She smoked them. Plays very big, has strength to go with her height. This is a great catch!

ctxbear
I will add that the speed of 6'3", in CNC's system, may be more valuable than the height of 6'5". And from these clips, she appears to have a great motor for a big.
BU71
fredbear said:

Tall enough to get it done against LSU! 24 points on reigning champs. She smoked them. Plays very big, has strength to go with her height. This is a great catch!

I'm excited! I see a lot to like in her game: good hands; solid base; scored with both hands; looks like she gets up and down the court well. I didn't see a lot of range on her shot but it's a small sample.In any case I expect her to be s very valuable addition. When Kyla hits her stride we could be in good shape down low.
Brusinbear2001
she also did it against Lee from KState she has played Pili Brink Betts and other great bigs in the nation. She will be great here!!
Adriacus Peratuun
Good defender, not a great defender.
Very little shot blocking.
Above average athlete for a post, not a great athlete.
Not much of a jump shot.
Slightly below average FT shooter.

But here is the big item…….she actually finishes in the paint/at the rim at a "well above average" rate.
For a team that seemed cursed at finishing putbacks, dump offs, slips, drops, HiLos, post feeds, etc. THAT ITEM is huge.
Brusinbear2001
I feel like she is going to really be able to help Kyla as well to develop into a better post player. This is the first time she has had someone in the locker room at her position that has had power 5 success. She fills the holes of what the team needed . Some of her best games were the biggest ones. This is the first time we have had a good player from a good team that made the sweet 16 as well commit to us out of the portal. Aijha Dree and Jada all had experience from the SEC but not moving and advancing in the tournament.

We still have the opportunity to add even more i think it is the perfect spot because that was our glaring issues last season.
Adriacus Peratuun
Brusinbear2001 said:

I feel like she is going to really be able to help Kyla as well to develop into a better post player. This is the first time she has had someone in the locker room at her position that has had power 5 success. She fills the holes of what the team needed . Some of her best games were the biggest ones. This is the first time we have had a good player from a good team that made the sweet 16 as well commit to us out of the portal. Aijha Dree and Jada all had experience from the SEC but not moving and advancing in the tournament.

We still have the opportunity to add even more i think it is the perfect spot because that was our glaring issues last season.
We likely don't see Abraham's future in the same way.

In regard to future Portal success, momentum is huge. Baylor WBB offers an attractive style of O that prepares post players for Professional play. What we have lacked [attracting Portal players] is NCAAT success. That deficiency changed this year.

The talent level is rising. The roster size is finally where it needs to be. The players are comfortable in our schemes.
More post-season success will definitely lead to more Portal success.

This off-season we definitely need one more post [Muhammed would be great] and a long 3&D. The offense needs another player that can provide spacing in the same way that Fontleroy does. When Fontleroy goes to the bench, the O bogs down. A similar player can keep O rhythm ongoing.
Brusinbear2001
i think with Kyla it is more so she has not even gotten a good 10 games of opportunity yet. I think in a position like this where Vonleh can be the leader and she can come in especially against peoples second string she can gain confidence. I always think that Texas game her freshman year and over this season she has been focused on working on her game. If there wasn't an opportunity I believe she would have entered the portal already. I feel they told her to redshirt grow your game and we talk about your role as you progress and you do not lose a year.

Amina would be a great get especially for our 4 spot, I think she brings something a little different from Buggs but we do not have to change too much system wise when she comes in. She can also be that 5 spot if the Kyla thing does not work at all. She has years left of eligibility, she is a Texas kid and a lot of the Desoto players have been offered and visited Baylor so that could be good for that connection.

I agree another player like Bella would be great. I am high on Ruby I think with the additions LSU made yesterday that it opens the door for us to have a great shot. She can shoot, maybe not like a Sarah or Jana but you have to respect it. She is a big guard which now without Cat and Denae we need. I'm not sure who else has been on campus or even has interest in us so that is why i think she is the best bet. We recruited her out of high school but were late in the process. She has a bunch of skill that can be beneficial to our team. She could be like a Bella but with the ability to ball handle a lot more. The idea that we will not have guards going into the season after next also has to play a role you would think. But we will see what happens.
fredbear
Vonleh ranked 8th by ESPN in Transfer portal! Need to get 1 or 2 more off their top 25 list.
Bear3
Vonleh was extremely good get ! I also read she was 3rd best post player in the portal.
Polarbear
Lots of things to admire about Ruby's game, but a good shooter she is not. In 2 years at Clemson, she's shooting 26.6% from 3 point line on 139 attempts. An opponent's scouting report would encourage leaving such a player alone on the perimeter to keep throwing those shots up all game long.
Dcheetah
Think she is over 50% inside the arc amd a very good rebounder for her position. We need someone who can consistently finish at the rim and hit a midrange shot. I haven't had time to watch Clemson play so I don't know their spacing. I do remember when T'ea came over from USCe. She was a career low 3 pter in low 30s and had just finished her lowest output yet and came here and shot well over 40% from 3. I tried to find her HS 3 pt% but didn't see it to see if similarly low.

What do you think about Maryam vs Amina for the last big spot? Both long and lean and very athletic and can run the floor. Maryam has great rim protection and had 10 blocks in an Alabama game. Also know she c I uld really hit the 3 in HS so I am favoring her. Think both rebound about the same. Would be very happy with either and like Amina is from Desoto which maybe could help with 1 of the bigtime Desoto players we are recruiting but privately hoping we can get Maryam to come. Maryam also had a delightful personality from what I remember from her HS interview with Smoak but I don't know about Amina. Thoughts?
Dcheetah
As of yesterday we had Nicki, Sadie, and Kianna all following Maryam and Amina.
Brusinbear2001
but the tools and opportunities to develop that are there, the form and everything is very fluid but the other tools she has and the opportunity for us to have another big guard would be huge in terms of rebounding. She could be the passer at the top of the key in zone situations that's another area we struggled because it would have been Aijha but we needed her down low.

The coach's see something in her especially to go after her again
Polarbear
Asking myself the same question. Not familiar enough with their games to have a firm opinion. I do see all the same similarities you do in terms of size, mobility, etc. Seems to me that Amina has a slight edge in speed/running the court? Seems that Maryam has more shooting range? Both come from competitive conferences with a lot of experience playing against talented bigs; Maryam has more game playing time, Amina had more talent to compete against in practices and would have seen more minutes in most other programs. Seems that Maryam has a wider, stronger body which would give her a rebounding advantage and help her be more physical on defense; Amina is long and really lean and narrow, so the concern is she could be pushed off the block. There's also the factor of whether or not they're a good fit for a team's culture and style of play, and I have no opinion there. If forced to choose, I'd take Maryam, but I think they're both quality players and would be excellent additions. I'll defer to the coaches and anybody with more insight to their games.
Dcheetah
Agree. Thx.
Brusinbear2001
i think the connection with Bella and already wanting to come to Baylor will be a big piece if she comes or not but who knows
Polarbear
Also wondering about Dauda and LSU. She has the relationship with Mulkey and also with former Arkansas teammate Jersey Wolfenbarger. How close are those relationships, and might that make LSU the favored destination? Or not?
Brusinbear2001
but LSU has Morrow Smith Jersey and ADR. Feel it would be extremely tough for her to play there. But there is relationships there.
blackie
Brusinbear2001 said:

but LSU has Morrow Smith Jersey and ADR. Feel it would be extremely tough for her to play there. But there is relationships there.
LSU can't take everyone. They might get first choice, but they can't take 'em all.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.