Te'a Cooper transfer portal

60,430 Views | 200 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by beardoc
gone to Tickfaw
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fighting w jamie nared.
gone to Tickfaw
If I had to bet, I would say it's a true report that Tea wants to come to Baylor, simply because she is retweeting everything from Kalani, Chloe, Didi and everything Baylor.

Acc to reports, she is also dating an nba player.

Due to instigating the fight with Nare, her scholarship at Tenn was not renewed.

She appears to be a handfull
Brian Ethridge
Staff
fujobear said:

Fighting w jamie nared.

You think the Lady Bears have never had a fight on the court or locker room in private?
Dcheetah
This years team? I would be surprised. Past teams, would be less surprised.
HustleBear
DFW Bill said:

Look up the reason she left Tennessee, maybe Kim is talking to Holly.
It might be more fair to talk to Dawn Staley. Being that she was at USCe tha last 2 years. Plus, It wasn't Warlick who gave her the boot.
Hairy Bear
With transfers including graduate transfers playing a bigger role in NCAA WBB, there is a discussion going on with regard to graduate transfers of taking 2 years credit for one year of actual play in order to look at transfers that result in Masters degrees in one light but treat transfers that do not lead to degrees differently. The idea being that a transfer for education purposes should not be discouraged, but transfers for athletic purposes should be discouraged. My own feeling is if they have graduated from college and have a year of eligibility left, they ought to be able to go where they wish if the school is in favor of the transfer and be on a one year scholarship.
WIBear
Master's degrees typically require two years to complete. Having a one-year scholarship won't permit one to complete a graduate degree. So I am not sure why the NCAA insists that the athlete must complete the second degree. Even if the athlete is kept on an athletic scholarship, what happens to the individual wishing to go to law school which requires 3 years to complete? Moreover, some master's degrees require internships and may take more than two years. If an athlete has already completed an undergraduate degree, the NCAA should just focus on the grad transfer maintaining a B average, which is what is usually required for a graduate degree. Just my two cents from a retired prof.
gone to Tickfaw
with this logic, Zion should be required to finish his four year degree before matriculating to the NBA.

Do men have the same issue with grad transfer as women?

Women should scream.

I'd like to see the NCAA taken to court over some of these issues - especially in cases of coaches leaving... if a coach leave, players should be released unconditionally...
WIBear
Tennessee was such a dumpster fire back when Cooper played there that I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't many "disagreements" among the team members. So I am withholding my views of the fight she had with another teammate until more is known.
mimi25408
That usually happens when you have tons of "me " players with extreme ego's. I watched Tennessee this year and although most people think it was holly , The players are half the problem as well. The games that I watched this year Tenn ended up losing. Their team chemistry is extremely off I watch when they lost to the last team in the league Vanderbilt. That last quarter no one played team ball. Everyone was trying to be the hero and take over the game instead of working together to win.

As far as the fight goes... you live and you learn. When I was in college our team chem was bad. I got in a fight with our captain in the locker room... it happends.
TXtoCO
We need a PG. I say bring her in and let Mulkey deal with any chemistry issues. She's pretty good at that.
TXtoCO
fujobear said:

If I had to bet, I would say it's a true report that Tea wants to come to Baylor, simply because she is retweeting everything from Kalani, Chloe, Didi and everything Baylor.

Acc to reports, she is also dating an nba player.

Due to instigating the fight with Nare, her scholarship at Tenn was not renewed.

She appears to be a handfull

Fights happen. This is high level sports and sometimes things get heated. I am not holding a fight against anyone. Baylor has that most famous fight in NCAA history and BG turned out to be a pretty darn good example of a student-athlete.
Bearinit
I trust Kim. She won't let anyone make a mess of her team.
BUVA
In the 2012 tournament, Odyssey and a player on the other team started getting in each other's faces, and BG and a couple of other players ran out to stop them. There were a few tense moments as the officials determined they were not entering the fight, just trying to stop it. If they had ruled the first option, BG and the other players would have been ejected and suspended for the next game.
CavalryRoadie
BUVA said:

In the 2012 tournament, Odyssey and a player on the other team started getting in each other's faces, and BG and a couple of other players ran out to stop them. There were a few tense moments as the officials determined they were not entering the fight, just trying to stop it. If they had ruled the first option, BG and the other players would have been ejected and suspended for the next game.
As I recall, there WAS a game when BG and a couple of other players had to leave the court for something like that. It was at the end of a game, after the outcome was established. Can't remember if it was a tournament game, or not.
Meladee
I have my reservations on this one.

However, I think if Messer and Mulkey decide to bring her in, she will have been vetted to their satisfaction.

The chemistry on our NC team was special and only losing two players, that should hopefully stay intact.
Eball
mimi25408 said:

That usually happens when you have tons of "me " players with extreme ego's. I watched Tennessee this year and although most people think it was holly , The players are half the problem as well. The games that I watched this year Tenn ended up losing. Their team chemistry is extremely off I watch when they lost to the last team in the league Vanderbilt. That last quarter no one played team ball. Everyone was trying to be the hero and take over the game instead of working together to win.

As far as the fight goes... you live and you learn. When I was in college are team chem was bad. I got in a fight with are captain in the locker room... it happends.
My money is on you mimi!
mimi25408
Sorry for the typo . I meant to say "our", but yes lets just say I gave her what she was looking for lol
Polarbear
Mimi, I was going with the story that you said "are" as shorthand for a pirate on the attack "aaaargh"
Bobby Tables
CavalryRoadie said:

BUVA said:

As I recall, there WAS a game when BG and a couple of other players had to leave the court for something like that. It was at the end of a game, after the outcome was established. Can't remember if it was a tournament game, or not.

Same game.
Bobby Tables
It wouldn't surprise me if there was more to the story re: Cooper leaving Tennessee. Allegedly, the reason that Diamond DeShields changed from returning for her senior season to playing in Turkey in June '17 was due to how the Cooper-Nared situation was handled.

All that said, I trust Mulkey to make the right call.
IslandBear
Here's one that worked out for us.

Quote:

Mosby was a junior when she was suspended and dismissed by Florida coach Carolyn Peck in 2005. It has never been made public exactly what happened, but Mosby says she's the one who made the mistake and she has learned from it.
Baylor beat Florida 91-76 in the 2004 NCAA Tournament's second round, and Mosby had seen things she liked about her opponent in that game. The up-tempo style, the way the posts ran the floor and could use their range, the confidence that everyone played with.
Mosby got to know a couple of Baylor's players and began exchanging e-mails with them. Then, in 2005, she found herself looking for a new home and one season left to salvage her college career. She's a Florida native but had to leave with a lot of baggage.
"I think it was Abi [Wabara] who mentioned to us coaches that [Mosby] had been dismissed, and would we be interested in her," Mulkey said. "And we said, 'No.'"
But then Mulkey reconsidered.
"I still wasn't sold that I should take her, because she was dismissed by a coach," Mulkey said. "Who wants to invite trouble to your program? But I talked to her, and she said all the right things. That it was her fault, what happened, and that she was totally in the wrong. She wished she could go back and undo it."
OK, but people sometimes say the right things and don't really do them. Mulkey is not a softy, and no kid is going to fool her. But she's also a pragmatist who needed a veteran post to help Baylor stay strong while its younger posts had time to develop.
I asked her what convinced her beyond just what Mosby said. Mulkey was characteristically blunt.
"She wasn't in trouble with the law; that's something you make sure of from the start," Mulkey said. "You do your homework as a coach. You talk to all the people who were around the situation, make sure you're getting the right story.
"Transfers are transfers for a reason. You know that. But I've found that they've been nothing but a positive in my experience, because they know this is their last chance."
Even so, Mulkey did not think Mosby was in any kind of desperation mode when she decided on Baylor.
"She had options to go to a lot of schools," Mulkey said. "But she knew the level she wanted to play at. Something in our playing against them [in 2004] impressed her.
"She's been nothing but good for our program. She's lived up to what she said. She would tell you herself that she's never played this hard before. I think if people watched her at Florida and now, they couldn't help but notice it."
"I'm going to tell you: She is one of the top 10 players in the country, and she should be a Kodak All-American," Mulkey said, hitting the campaign trail. "She can score with people in her face, with her back to the basket."
But this is also about more than that. At some point, not even that long from now, Mosby won't be asked much anymore about what happened at Florida or why she ended up at Baylor she will just be another pro trying to make it work at that level.
However, what she learned can always help her. She doesn't need to remind herself all of the time of what went wrong, just what she has done since.
"As a person, it's made me humble myself, and say, 'This is your last go-around, you have a second chance. Get beyond the stuff in your past,' "Mosby said. "It made me be thankful for everything I have. Maturity-wise, being away from home was hard, but it's made me grow as a person."
What might Mosby say to another young person who made a mistake and was facing tough consequences?

"My message would be, 'There will be times in your life when you struggle, when you regret something,'" Mosby said. "But you still have a lot of people who will help you. What you do as a person is push through it and work your hardest. Not to prove people wrong, but to prove to yourself you can do it.

"As for how other people treat you sometimes you have to say, 'I am a different person now, and maybe they don't realize it.' You apologize, you accept your mistake, then you have to go on and work hard. You have to keep believing in yourself. And that's what I would tell them."

Meladee
Good stuff. It reinforces what I think we all know. Kim will be careful and do her due diligence.
ScottS
Any updates?
ladybears4eva
I think it might too much to get another transfer.

I think we should take our chances with honesty, moon, didi and juicy.
ladybears4eva
Id rather not take a chance on the chemistry being ruined with ego centric divas, who think teams defending them are "cute" for trying.
Eball
Kim said or was quoted that she was going to keep one spot open for possible grad transfers moving forward becasue of the way it has changed over the years. Of course we have always been open to transfers but Chloe was our first grad transfer. I think in years past Kim has liked the fact that with most transfers they had to sit a year so then they could ease in slowly to system and team. Chloe was an experiment that paid huge dividends but from the stories Kim was not sure how it would work or if she would agree to offer Chloe. I think the lack of depth the year before and Kristy's injury convinced her that Chloe would be an insurance policy. She just did not anticipate needing to use it so quickly or so much.

I definitely trust Kim to do what she thinks is best for the team.
Scout Bear
I think we need to pass on Cooper. Concerned about her fitting in with the team. Honesty is a great prospect at the point. My 2 cents.
Eball
Have we confirmed that all our girls will be back? No transfers out?
DanaDane
Why would Mulkey name any grad transfer or immediately eligible transfer and potentially scare off any HS recruit she's still seeking for this class? Be patient. Kim is.
Scout Bear
Any grad transfer could only play for one year. Then they are gone.

Any HS player we are recruiting would not be with the team until year after next. So there's that.

I still think we should pass on Cooper. I have said for a while that if we take a grad transfer it preferably should be a big for added depth there.
bawitdaball
Mulkey will do what she needs to in order to make her team the best it can be.

Also worth noting - past discretions don't equal current issues. Moreso - we don't know how any of the team members were practicing - especially those that didn't get any playing time. Mulkey does - she knows what realistic expectations she can have for them this coming season - and she is the only one that fully knows that.

Also - and let's be real on this one - Cooper isn't the only person likely wanting to come to Baylor as a grad transfer - not sure if the two year rule would be initiated this coming season, but it would likely be effective the following one as many teams will have already accepted grad transfers prior to it being implemented.

Lastly - whatever direction Mulkey goes I'll be fully supportive - in her I trust...she has more than earned that.
ChapBear
I watched the sc game again and I was not impressed with her effort. Moon, Trinity and Honesty all have more upside. What we need is a big to give to us more depth down low. I love our current chemistry and don't want to risk the chance to further develop our he talent we currently have at guard and don't want to discourage any great recruits that N.C. teams can attract.
Meladee
DanaDane said:

Why would Mulkey name any grad transfer or immediately eligible transfer and potentially scare off any HS recruit she's still seeking for this class? Be patient. Kim is.
We already have the one HS prospect committed and signed to a NLI for fall of 2019.

The new recruits who are uncommitted aren't starting until fall 2020 and they aren't going to care about a grad transfer who's already gone.
skilledup
Eball said:

Have we confirmed that all our girls will be back? No transfers out?

This is a great question and it was talk that a few were thinking about leaving.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.