JK Rowling

9,068 Views | 168 Replies | Last: 29 days ago by Oldbear83
whiterock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OsoCoreyell said:

No problem from me offering/teaching a Harry Potter class - though if I was a parent, I would definitely question my kid actually taking it (and causing me to pay for it).

And no problem for this prof to discuss transgender issues in his class...so long as he is willing to set aside his OWN priors and have an intellectually honest discussion. My fear is that, given his tweet stream, his starting position is that one side of the argument is inherently moral (pro-transgender) and the other side is morally bankrupt (i.e. "hateful") and not entitled to have its position. If the later, he should be shamed and ridiculed.
Do not really understand the controversy about Baylor having a course on the Potterverse. Rowling wrote a yarn of equal literary merit to the fantasy worlds of Tolkien and Lewis, and no one would think twice about a course on their works.

The outrage should be directed at the ideological nonsense posted by the professor, whom I allow may have unartfully tried to make a point I could agree with.....that presentism is a threat to higher education.
Ghostrider
whiterock said:

OsoCoreyell said:

No problem from me offering/teaching a Harry Potter class - though if I was a parent, I would definitely question my kid actually taking it (and causing me to pay for it).

And no problem for this prof to discuss transgender issues in his class...so long as he is willing to set aside his OWN priors and have an intellectually honest discussion. My fear is that, given his tweet stream, his starting position is that one side of the argument is inherently moral (pro-transgender) and the other side is morally bankrupt (i.e. "hateful") and not entitled to have its position. If the later, he should be shamed and ridiculed.
Do not really understand the controversy about Baylor having a course on the Potterverse. Rowling wrote a yarn of equal literary merit to the fantasy worlds of Tolkien and Lewis, and no one would think twice about a course on their works.

The outrage should be directed at the ideological nonsense posted by the professor, whom I allow may have unartfully tried to make a point I could agree with.....that presentism is a threat to higher education.
you don't know why anyone would laugh at a student paying 5-10k to study Harry Potter? On top of that, students want taxpayers to pay for school loans. lol. Harry Potter isn't preparing you for the outside world. Maybe do something that will prepare you for later in life.
LIB,MR BEARS
Ghostrider said:

whiterock said:

OsoCoreyell said:

you don't know why anyone would laugh at a student paying 5-10k to study Harry Potter? On top of that, students want taxpayers to pay for school loans. lol. Harry Potter isn't preparing you for the outside world. Maybe do something that will prepare you for later in life.

While I completely agree with you and think an HP course is silly, the argument is the discussions create opportunities for critical thinking over a wide range of subjects.

I think some of the great works would provide those same opportunities.

Oldbear83
whiterock said:

OsoCoreyell said:

I don't recall seeing courses just for LOTR or Narnia. Courses discussing a style of writing, yes, or an overview of a particular period in time, sure.

Running a full-semester course on Harry Potter is about as appropriate as offering a Biology course on the life cycle of a Pet Rock (TM).
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Harrison Bergeron
Oldbear83 said:

whiterock said:

OsoCoreyell said:

I don't recall seeing courses just for LOTR or Narnia. Courses discussing a style of writing, yes, or an overview of a particular period in time, sure.

Running a full-semester course on Harry Potter is about as appropriate as offering a Biology course on the life cycle of a Pet Rock (TM).
This. An entire course dedicated to seven children's books seems silly. Its creative but derivative whereas (not an expert) Lewis and Tolkien created a entire new genre.
4th and Inches
Harrison Bergeron said:

Oldbear83 said:

whiterock said:

OsoCoreyell said:

This. An entire course dedicated to seven children's books seems silly. Its creative but derivative whereas (not an expert) Lewis and Tolkien created a entire new genre.
childrens books? Have you read the series?

While you could say that book 1 is a childrens book, by the time you get to 4,5,6 and 7 you are clearly in young adult/adult fiction. As Harry ages, the plot lines mature as well.
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Oldbear83
4th and Inches said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Oldbear83 said:

whiterock said:

OsoCoreyell said:

While you could say that book 1 is a childrens book, by the time you get to 4,5,6 and 7 you are clearly in young adult/adult fiction. As Harry ages, the plot lines mature as well.
I get it, you like the series.

My point was that no serious college builds a course around one book or series.

There are courses in Medieval or Religious literature, but not just on Dante's Inferno, for example. There are courses in Modern Fiction, but not just the Noir detective stories from Dashell Hammett or Mickey Spillane.

JK Rowling is a commercially successful author, but she is frankly not known for anything new or groundbreaking in Literature. She is the literature equivalent of a Kardasshian.

That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Redbrickbear
Oldbear83 said:

4th and Inches said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Oldbear83 said:

whiterock said:

OsoCoreyell said:

There are courses in Medieval or Religious literature, but not just on Dante's Inferno, for example. There are courses in Modern Fiction, but not just the Noir detective stories from Dashell Hammett or Mickey Spillane.

JK Rowling is a commercially successful author, but she is frankly not known for anything new or groundbreaking in Literature. She is the literature equivalent of a Kardasshian.

Bingo.

A Literary criticism class about modern fiction or fantasy...sure I can see that....I would not take it...but I can see the reason for a a college offering a class that talks about that subject and that covers several books and several authors.

But a single Baylor class on Harry Potter! A kids book...taught by this extremist Professor Garrett or not its still a goofy idea.
4th and Inches
Oldbear83 said:

4th and Inches said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Oldbear83 said:

whiterock said:

OsoCoreyell said:

ok..

I said previously she dropped the ball on book 7. I also pointed out that the series was not entirely childrens book series.

I never went fanboy and said the class was a good idea.
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Ghostrider
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Ghostrider said:

whiterock said:

OsoCoreyell said:

While I completely agree with you and think an HP course is silly, the argument is the discussions create opportunities for critical thinking over a wide range of subjects.

I think some of the great works would provide those same opportunities.

too bad that doesn't pay your bills
Ghostrider
Redbrickbear said:

Oldbear83 said:

4th and Inches said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Oldbear83 said:

whiterock said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Bingo.

A Literary criticism class about modern fiction or fantasy...sure I can see that....I would not take it...but I can see the reason for a a college offering a class that talks about that subject and that covers several books and several authors.

But a single Baylor class on Harry Potter! A kids book...taught by this extremist Professor Garrett or not it's still a goofy idea.
go read a book for enjoyment. It's not preparing your for life.
GrowlTowel
Anyone that believes that a man cannot become a woman needs to be educated.

/s 47
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Ghostrider
4th and Inches said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Oldbear83 said:

whiterock said:

OsoCoreyell said:

i've read them all for enjoyment. They are definitely geared towards younger people.
Doc Holliday
OsoCoreyell said:

Seems to me like he doesn't want to answer if he thinks not agreeing with trans stuff makes one dangerous or hateful. That he refuses to answer this leads me to believe that he does think it makes you dangerous and hateful.

It's straight up dogma and cult like behavior.
historian
Cool. Almost makes my wish I could take it.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
whiterock
Redbrickbear said:

Oldbear83 said:

4th and Inches said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Oldbear83 said:

whiterock said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Bingo.

But a single Baylor class on Harry Potter! A kids book...taught by this extremist Professor Garrett or not its still a goofy idea.
Might wanna dig around a little. There are indeed single courses on Tolkein, C.S. Lewis, et al at places like Oxford, Univ. of Chicago, etc...... Tolkein is even studied at some seminaries. And there are professors who have specialized their careers around such things.

The knock on a Potterverse course would be that the Harry Potter series is too new/recent to stand in the company of LOTR, Narnia, etc...... Of course, the counter-argument would be that such a study is innovative and part of the academic process to compare/contrast the new with the old. That's exactly the kind of philosophical debates academia should exist to sort out.

I have no problem with a course on the Harry Potter series. It will rise/fall on its own merits.
I am significantly troubled with the patent political prism the professor applied in the post.
Ghostrider
Some people go to college to study STEM courses. Some oher people go to college to study......Harry Potter. I wonder which group will be crying about student loan forgiveness.
historian
I seriously doubt any students chose Baylor for this one course. I suspect that most who take it are English majors or are taking it as an elective. I have no problems with college students taking an elective like this because it's a topic that interests them.

I do have problems with Harry Potter because, unlike Tolkien & Lewis, it's from a secular perspective & seems more demonic. Granted, I've read more about Harry Potter than I have read any of the books. And I know lots of people, including Christians, who like the books.

I'm mostly in the realm of live & let live.

The professor, however, parroted the standard propaganda tropes about the trans cult and that is very disturbing, especially coming from a university professor at Baylor.
Jack Bauer
Same people...

Redbrickbear
historian said:

The professor, however, parroted the standard propaganda tropes about the trans cult and that is very disturbing, especially coming from a university professor at Baylor.

Yea the fact that this is increasingly the type of person that Baylor is hiring these days is the issue.

And the fact that Baylor has not come out and rebuffed such anti-free speech talk from the good professor.

That is what's troubling.

Not some Harry Potter class being offered
Porteroso
Jack Bauer said:

Same people...

Except they are not the same people. Such a ridiculous assumption, even a 2024 zealot should be seeing red flags.
historian
Probably not the exact same people but one could fairly ask if each group might agree with the other on a different day. If asked in a separate context it would not be surprising how much in alignment the two groups would be. There have already been numerous public statements by trans activists in support of Hamas.

It's quite common for Leftists to have knee-jerk reactions to the radical Leftist talking point de jour.
Osodecentx
Ghostrider said:

Embarrassing for Baylor

From National Review:
Harvard University's gender and sexuality department will offer a wide range of classes next semester: Gender as Technology; Gender and Sexuality in Korean Pop Culture; Feminism in the Age of Empire; Gender, Race and Poverty in the United States; Decolonization; Love's Labors Found: Uncovering Histories of Emotional Labor; and more.
LIB,MR BEARS
Osodecentx said:

Ghostrider said:

Embarrassing for Baylor

From National Review:
Harvard University's gender and sexuality department will offer a wide range of classes next semester: Gender as Technology; Gender and Sexuality in Korean Pop Culture; Feminism in the Age of Empire; Gender, Race and Poverty in the United States; Decolonization; Love's Labors Found: Uncovering Histories of Emotional Labor; and more.
in addition, classes on juggling and red nose application are offered.
GrowlTowel
Porteroso said:

Jack Bauer said:

Same people...

Except they are not the same people. Such a ridiculous assumption, even a 2024 zealot should be seeing red flags.

"Every time a Republican wins, another black church burns." - 1996

Certainly you've heard that a vote for Trump is a vote for white supremacy.

Why can't it work both ways?
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Redbrickbear
Osodecentx said:

Ghostrider said:

Embarrassing for Baylor

From National Review:

Because Harvard does it is that supposed to make it less embarrassing?
Osodecentx
Redbrickbear said:

Osodecentx said:

Ghostrider said:

Embarrassing for Baylor

From National Review:

1. I don't think the 1 hour Rowling elective is embarrassing
2. It doesn't damage Baylor's reputation
Redbrickbear
Osodecentx said:

Redbrickbear said:

Osodecentx said:

Ghostrider said:

Embarrassing for Baylor

From National Review:

Reputation with whom?

Current academia that tend to views these kinds of ludicrous classes as normative?

Or with average people who see these classes as a waste of time if not possible contributing factor in the out of control costs of college education now days?
Osodecentx
Redbrickbear said:

Osodecentx said:

Redbrickbear said:

Osodecentx said:

Ghostrider said:

Embarrassing for Baylor

From National Review:

Reputation with whom?

Current academia that tend to views these kinds of ludicrous classes as normative?

Or with average people who see these classes as a waste of time if not possible contributing factor in the out of control costs of college education now days?
Last time I checked, Baylor charged a flat rate per semester. Offering a 1 hour elective doesn't contribute to "out of control costs". Students pay a flat rate whether they take the elective or not.
Average people may see a lot of courses as a "waste of time". Some average people think algebra and religion are a waste of time. Some average people think college is a waste of time.

Baylor's reputation isn't damaged by a 1 hour elective.
Redbrickbear
Osodecentx said:

Redbrickbear said:

Osodecentx said:

Redbrickbear said:

Osodecentx said:

Ghostrider said:

Embarrassing for Baylor

From National Review:

Reputation with whom?

Last time I checked, Baylor charged a flat rate per semester. Offering a 1 hour elective doesn't contribute to "out of control costs"…

Which is why I specifically mentioned the perception/reputation among average people (future paying customers)

While it can't be cheap to keep someone like Professor Garrett around…if it costs extra money or not is not really the point.

How does having classes like this at Baylor increase and protect the Baylor academic reputation?

Osodecentx
Redbrickbear said:

Osodecentx said:

Redbrickbear said:

Osodecentx said:

Redbrickbear said:

Osodecentx said:

Ghostrider said:

Embarrassing for Baylor

From National Review:

Reputation with whom?

Last time I checked, Baylor charged a flat rate per semester. Offering a 1 hour elective doesn't contribute to "out of control costs"…

Which is why I specifically mentioned the perception/reputation among average people (future paying customers)

While it can't be cheap to keep someone like Professor Garrett around…if it costs extra money or not is not really the point.

How does having classes like this at Baylor increase and protect the Baylor academic reputation?

With the right professor it can make a student more informed , well rounded & interesting. What is your vision of a liberal arts education?
Redbrickbear
Osodecentx said:

Redbrickbear said:

Osodecentx said:

Redbrickbear said:

Osodecentx said:

Redbrickbear said:

Osodecentx said:

Ghostrider said:

Embarrassing for Baylor

From National Review:

Reputation with whom?

With the right professor it can make a student more informed , well rounded & interesting. What is your vision of a liberal arts education?

Does Professor Garrett going on social media to share his hectoring struggle session over JK Rowling's personal views seem like an informed well rounded discussion?

(That's even if we concede that a Harry Potter class is even needed at all at Baylor)
Porteroso
GrowlTowel said:

Porteroso said:

Jack Bauer said:

Same people...

"Every time a Republican wins, another black church burns." - 1996

Certainly you've heard that a vote for Trump is a vote for white supremacy.

Why can't it work both ways?

I get that way of thinking, it just isn't fair though, to either side.
Osodecentx
Redbrickbear said:

Osodecentx said:

Redbrickbear said:

Osodecentx said:

Redbrickbear said:

Osodecentx said:

Redbrickbear said:

Osodecentx said:

Ghostrider said:

Embarrassing for Baylor

From National Review:

Reputation with whom?

Does Professor Garrett going on social media to share his hectoring struggle session over JK Rowling's personal views seem like an informed well rounded discussion?

(That's even if we concede that a Harry Potter class is even needed at all at Baylor)

No, professor is an embarrassment

What is your vision of a liberal arts education?
Malbec
Osodecentx said:

Redbrickbear said:

Osodecentx said:

Redbrickbear said:

Osodecentx said:

Redbrickbear said:

Osodecentx said:

Redbrickbear said:

Osodecentx said:

Ghostrider said:

Embarrassing for Baylor

From National Review:

Reputation with whom?

No, professor is an embarrassment

What is your vision of a liberal arts education?
One where the students don't already know more about the subject matter than the professor?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.