Football
Sponsored by

* * Old Baylor Football or Football Related Photos

29,037 Views | 355 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by Assassin
Assassin
How long do you want to ignore this user?

BU vs TCU, Baylor won 6-3, this was the first Baylor Homecoming in 1909 at Carroll Field, courtesy Baylor. edu. Add, they started playing in 1899, so it was a decade before they started that first homecoming.
On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Assassin

1929 Texas vs Baylor football program, courtesy EBay
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Russell Gym
Assassin said:

BU vs TCU, Baylor won 6-3, this was the first Baylor Homecoming in 1909 at Carroll Field, courtesy Baylor. edu

Where did TCU play their home games during their Waco years?
Assassin
Russell Gym said:

Assassin said:

BU vs TCU, Baylor won 6-3, this was the first Baylor Homecoming in 1909 at Carroll Field, courtesy Baylor. edu

Where did TCU play their home games during their Waco years?
First, TCU and Baylor played each other two or three times a year for the first few years. Second, not sure that I have ever run across that information. Since that would be late 1800s to early 1900's, it could very well be on their campus, on a patch of dirt, similar to what we had with early Carroll Field. If anyone knows for sure, please chime in. Also, where was the TCU campus located?
joseywales
Assassin said:

1899 Baylor team - courtesy UNT Portal to History
Very cool..
Assassin
Not BU, but a tip of the hat to Coach Jim Pittman of TCU. Many of us remember this coach and event at a Baylor game in Waco.

In 1971, TCU coach Jim Pittman collapsed and died on the sideline in Waco during the rivalry game, the only time in collegiate history that a coach died during a game.
drahthaar
Stranger said:

Assassin said:

The Noze knows! 1969 courtesy Baylor Flickr

In the words of our greatest president, Abner McCall . . . "ever since the war, nothing but queers and perverts in the NoZe". We were in his office when he muttered that. Then we all laughed out loud. Highlight of my NoZe career.

We should all be so lucky to have that bunch of guys
(including Abner) at Baylor these days.

Veritas. Not the Harvard kind.
McCavebear
Assassin said:

This game ended in a scoreless tie. No joy in Austin for whorns homecoming.

This game was played a few days after the stock market crash. I wonder how many folks at the game had any inkling about the economic misery that was on the horizon?
McCavebear Lives!
drahthaar
Assassin said:

BUBear1994DFW said:

Assassin said:

Botchey Koch was an all-state end for Temple in 1926, and four years later as a Baylor guard became the first consensus all-American in Southwest Conference history. Photo courtesy Baylor Hall of Fame.
I once read where Knute Rockne said Botchey was the best lineman he had ever seen. Anyone else heard this too?
Wiki: Knute Rockne also wrote of Koch's outstanding play in a letter to Baylor University shortly before Rockne's death in a plane crash. Koch was chosen the outstanding defensive player in the East-West Shrine Game at San Francisco's Kezar Stadium. It was a game in which the West defeated the East, 3-0. The San Francisco Chronicle reported, "there were a lot of great linemen in that game . . . but Koch was easily the best. A steamroller could not get over him." In 1940, Harry Stuhldreher, quarterback of Notre Dame's Four Horsemen, and Rice named Koch to their All-Time All-American team for publication. "He was the best guard I ever saw," Stuhldreher said. "Rockne also told me he was far and away the best guard Knute ever saw. Koch was big, fast, smart and aggressive - a powerful lineman with a keen football brain. I haven't seen as good a guard since - either in college or pro."

Rockne's quote is accurate per two of Botchey's teammates: Ralph Winton and "Puny" Witcher.
MrGolfguy
Assassin said:

Also, where was the TCU campus located?
There's an historical marker/plaque there; close to 18th & Mitchell if I remember correctly.
Assassin
McCavebear said:

Assassin said:

This game ended in a scoreless tie. No joy in Austin for whorns homecoming.

This game was played a few days after the stock market crash. I wonder how many folks at the game had any inkling about the economic misery that was on the horizon?
My Grandpa lost a lot of money there. Then he lost his sawmill in Waco.
Assassin

Baylor and the Dallas Cowboys LG Dupree. Long Gone Dupree
Assassin

Bubba Hicks, courtesy Pinterest
Assassin

Courtesy Ebay
Assassin

UT Game Brochure, 1959
Assassin

Courtesy Dirk West
Assassin

Baylor University vs. University of Wyoming, November 12, 1949, courtesy Baylor. edu
Assassin

courtesy Kyle Rovinsky
Pecos 45
Assassin said:

Not BU, but a tip of the hat to Coach Jim Pittman of TCU. Many of us remember this coach and event at a Baylor game in Waco.

In 1971, TCU coach Jim Pittman collapsed and died on the sideline in Waco during the rivalry game, the only time in collegiate history that a coach died during a game.
I remember that game vividly.
We were in the student section, behind the TCU bench, and saw him go down and get carried off.
The PA announcer (George Stokes) did not tell the crowd that coach Pittman had died until the game was over
Then everyone bowed their heads in prayer.
My parents were visiting me that weekend.
Helluva a welcome to Waco.
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
Assassin
Pecos 45 said:

Assassin said:

We were in the student section, behind the TCU bench, and saw him go down and get carried off.
The PA announcer (George Stokes) did not tell the crowd that coach Pittman had died until the game was over
Ouch...
Assassin

Mom in front of the Baylor bell. Sometime in the 1930s I think. She turns 101 on Dec 21st
Forest Bueller_bf
Assassin said:

1975 ticket BU vs Michigan, courtesy EBay
Only $40 in todays $$

Good deal.
Assassin

Got three 10' 2x4's of these. Get them before they disappear!
Assassin

courtesy Joe Adamik, Baylor Volunteer Band members holding up a Baylor pennant (probably green and gold), next to their 1920s tour bus, image found in the 1929 Baylor Roundup. The names of band members are posted at the bottom. Photographer and exact location unknown.
Assassin

Courtesy Kip Cole
Assassin

Dirk West drawing
Assassin

Courtesy Ebay
chriscbear
I was at the 1971 TCU Baylor game and sat on the student side. I saw coach Pittman hit the ground. Shocking experience. Will never forget that.
Russell Gym
Assassin said:

Mom in front of the Baylor bell. Sometime in the 1930s I think. She turns 101 on Dec 21st

Are the bells still on campus?
Assassin

Circa 1949, courtesy EBay
Assassin
Assassin
Johnny Bear
Pecos 45 said:

Assassin said:

I recall it as well - Homecoming game of my Freshman year & my parents were likewise visiting from out of town.
Assassin

1963 Baylor massacre. courtesy Pinterest
Assassin
Russell Gym said:

Assassin said:

Are the bells still on campus?
Not sure. Can some of you folks that have been on campus recently help out?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.