My prostate lies prostrate...

2,580 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by drahthaar
saabing bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Found out I have prostate cancer. Dr thinks it hasn't spread. Gave me a choice of surgery (remove the whole thing) or 8 weeks of radiation 5 days a week. Any advice or experience?
drahthaar
saabing bear said:

Found out I have prostate cancer. Dr thinks it hasn't spread. Gave me a choice of surgery (remove the whole thing) or 8 weeks of radiation 5 days a week. Any advice or experience?

I had "successful" DaVinci surgery with a recurrence at 18 months. Then did radiation and regret that decision. Have had recurrent bleeding in the bladder that has required multiple inpatient stays with surgical cauterizations. That led to 73 dives in a hyperbaric chamber and a medication that took my 20/20 vision to 20/60 and early macular degeneration. That drug was Elmironnever take this medicine. I regret the radiation. Be careful where you have that done if you go that route. BTW, my cancer had not spread, either: nodes were clear, no local invasion. Radiation has pretty much wrecked my daily life.
Here's hoping your experience goes well and without complications!
RegentCoverup
Saabing,

We are improving early detection with each day, it's largely the reason you have an option and can avoid radiation.

I would find a good surgeon, get a second opinion and go under the knife.

And I say that because radiation s simply very difficult.
drahthaar
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Saabing,

We are improving early detection with each day, it's largely the reason you have an option and can avoid radiation.

I would find a good surgeon, get a second opinion and go under the knife.

And I say that because radiation s simply very difficult.

Good guidance. I'd get a second opinion unless you know your surgeon well, which I did. I regret not getting second and third opinions re: radiation. 38 years in the business should have taught me that….hindsight is perfect and clear!

I should add this was a decade back. Much has improved since then.
RegentCoverup
Mortality rates for colon and breast cancers are improving every day.

Early detection saves lives.

It's that simple.

Cutting is more invasive but it's also most effective IF it is an option.
Wangchung
Nutrition is vital. Research and closely adhere to what you learn. It's hard for me to discuss this so I'm sorry I can't get specific. Praying for your swift recovery.
Our vibrations were getting nasty. But why? I was puzzled, frustrated... Had we deteriorated to the level of dumb beasts?
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
A healthy sex life vs. life and death is a brutal dilemma. My Dad was faced with this at 72. With all his other health issues, he had his prostate removed. He figured something else was going to kill him. He was right.

Am praying and pulling for you, Saabing .
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Fat Daddy
Biopsy on 3/2/20 yielded a Gleeson score of 9.

Prostatectomy at Baylor / Dallas with Dr Matt Shuford (wife had to drop me at the curb due to COVID. Was glad she came back the next day to get me).

Radiation (38 treatments) at McClinton Cancer Center / Baylor S&W / Waco.

Referred to MD Anderson in August, 2021. Still going.

Several things in-between all that… scans, surgery to remove some lymph nodes, injections, cryoablation…. Seems the list is getting longer.

Great book for info / reference is Dr Patrick Walsh's "Guide to Surviving Prostate Cancer". Can get it on Amazon.

A few things:
1) every one that has experienced or experiencing prostate cancer has a story… their story is theirs… yours will probably be different.

2) thru the process you will lose all pride.

3) don't be afraid to talk about it with your wife, close friends, others that share your journey…. and God.

That's enough for now.

If anyone wants to talk… I am here and available.

Mike Holman
aka Fat Daddy

drahthaar
Fat Daddy said:

Biopsy on 3/2/20 yielded a Gleeson score of 9.

Prostatectomy at Baylor / Dallas with Dr Matt Shuford (wife had to drop me at the curb due to COVID. Was glad she came back the next day to get me).

Radiation (38 treatments) at McClinton Cancer Center / Baylor S&W / Waco.

Referred to MD Anderson in August, 2021. Still going.

Several things in-between all that… scans, surgery to remove some lymph nodes, injections, cryoablation…. Seems the list is getting longer.

Great book for info / reference is Dr Patrick Walsh's "Guide to Surviving Prostate Cancer". Can get it on Amazon.

A few things:
1) every one that has experienced or experiencing prostate cancer has a story… their story is theirs… yours will probably be different.

2) thru the process you will lose all pride.

3) don't be afraid to talk about it with your wife, close friends, others that share your journey…. and God.

That's enough for now.

If anyone wants to talk… I am here and available.

Mike Holman
aka Fat Daddy

The first casualty of being a cancer patient is dignity; the second is the idea of some future hope. The challenge for those of us blessed with providing care is to insure the preservation of dignity in as much as we are able thru our interaction with other caregivers. We must openly guide patients in the duality of disease: the physical, of course, but also the spiritual, which may be more resistance to treatment than the disease itself. Blessings on you all. The Lord is near in it all.
perrynative
Maybe I am just very lucky. Seven years ago had gleason of 7. At age 63 opted for radiation. 42 sessions. Problem I had was ahole on fire. I wasn't told to eat a bland diet until half way thru. Just got this years PSA back last night. Been running less than 1.0 this year .22 . Everything still operational. Blessed.
Ghostrider
Damn sabbing, that is sad to hear. I hope you find a great doctor and I'll keep you in my prayers.

What's the best way to test? PSA blood work or the finger? What age is a guy supposed to start the finger exam if there is no history of that cancer in his family?
saabing bear
Ghostrider said:

Damn sabbing, that is sad to hear. I hope you find a great doctor and I'll keep you in my prayers.

What's the best way to test? PSA blood work or the finger? What age is a guy supposed to start the finger exam if there is no history of that cancer in his family?
I'm 67 and I don't know at what age the tests are supposed to start. A couple of months ago I had a blood test with a high PSA so they sent me to a urologist. He gave the finger and said I had an enlarged prostate and needed a biopsy. (I used to think digital rectal exam sounded like something you do on a computer).

The biopsy showed 2 spots of cancer which somehow became 6 spots the next time I saw the Dr. He thought it hadn't spread and told me I would live to be an old man. (I thought WTH, I'm 67 so I could die tomorrow?) He wouldn't recommend "watchful waiting" or "active surveillance" and said I needed either radiation or surgery to remove the whole thing.

Anyway I haven't decided yet which way I'll go. I really do appreciate the concern and prayers from everyone!
drahthaar
saabing bear said:

Ghostrider said:

I'm 67 and I don't know at what age the tests are supposed to start. A couple of months ago I had a blood test with a high PSA so they sent me to a urologist. He gave the finger and said I had an enlarged prostate and needed a biopsy. (I used to think digital rectal exam sounded like something you do on a computer).

The biopsy showed 2 spots of cancer which somehow became 6 spots the next time I saw the Dr. He thought it hadn't spread and told me I would live to be an old man. (I thought WTH, I'm 67 so I could die tomorrow?) He wouldn't recommend "watchful waiting" or "active surveillance" and said I needed either radiation or surgery to remove the whole thing.

Anyway I haven't decided yet which way I'll go. I really do appreciate the concern and prayers from everyone!
Prayer up, sabbing. Look forward to meeting you one of these days.
saabing bear
drahthaar said:

Thanks! I sorta hope it's on this earth but who knows.
drahthaar
saabing bear said:

drahthaar said:

Thanks! I sorta hope it's on this earth but who knows.

I'd say it will be here!
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
We have met here on earth and hope we meet here again.

Praying for you and your family.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
4th and Inches
Praying for you!
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Keyser Soze
Prayers !
quash
saabing bear said:

He gave the finger and said I had an enlarged prostate and needed a biopsy. (I used to think digital rectal exam sounded like something you do on a computer).

My first digital rectal exam came from a 6'4" doc with meat hooks. I have chosen my primary care physicians by handshake since then...

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Ghostrider
quash said:

saabing bear said:

He gave the finger and said I had an enlarged prostate and needed a biopsy. (I used to think digital rectal exam sounded like something you do on a computer).

My first digital rectal exam came from a 6'4" doc with meat hooks. I have chosen my primary care physicians by handshake since then...

We can send people to the moon, but we can't find a better way to test for this than a finger in the ass?
Keyser Soze
Ghostrider said:

quash said:

saabing bear said:

We can send people to the moon, but we can't find a better way to test for this than a finger in the ass?

The PSA level in a blood test works well and has been around for a while. Both is better.
4th and Inches
Keyser Soze said:

Ghostrider said:

quash said:

saabing bear said:

The PSA level in a blood test works well and has been around for a while. Both is better.
PSA level is an ok test but isnt as reliable as we would like.. manual confirmation isnt a bad thing even if uncomfortable.. maybe we will have better/cheaper imaging systems in the future so we can take a peak inside without actually touching
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Keyser Soze
4th and Inches said:

Keyser Soze said:

Ghostrider said:

quash said:

saabing bear said:

PSA level is an ok test but isnt as reliable as we would like.. manual confirmation isnt a bad thing even if uncomfortable.. maybe we will have better/cheaper imaging systems in the future so we can take a peak inside without actually touching

The last DRE was by a Urologist. Quick and easy. I think my General Practioner lost his car keys - not pleasant.

Fat Daddy
In my experiences, PSA is an indicator, not a determination. It may indicate a need to get a biopsy or MRI…. Something that would be a closer look. It does not determine if you have cancer.

The DRE is checking to see see if the prostate is enlarged … which would also say "Do a little more… something might be wrong".
Ghostrider
Keyser Soze said:

4th and Inches said:

Keyser Soze said:

Ghostrider said:

quash said:

saabing bear said:

The last DRE was by a Urologist. Quick and easy. I think my General Practioner lost his car keys - not pleasant.

What is a DRE? The official term for finger test?
Keyser Soze
Ghostrider said:

Keyser Soze said:

4th and Inches said:

Keyser Soze said:

Ghostrider said:

quash said:

saabing bear said:

The official term is Digital Rectal Exam - DRE
quash
Keyser Soze said:

Ghostrider said:

Keyser Soze said:

4th and Inches said:

Keyser Soze said:

Ghostrider said:

quash said:

saabing bear said:

The official term is Digital Rectal Exam - DRE

I still see Drug Recognition Expert for drugged while driving cases.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
drahthaar
Fat Daddy said:

In my experiences, PSA is an indicator, not a determination. It may indicate a need to get a biopsy or MRI…. Something that would be a closer look. It does not determine if you have cancer.

The DRE is checking to see see if the prostate is enlarged … which would also say "Do a little more… something might be wrong".

These studies aren't either-or; both have their "contributions". Digital exams give info on nodules/lumps/abnormal anatomy of prostate. The PSA's are now far more sensitive than the original studies. So far as malignancies, tissue biopsies are required to determine this and the aggressive nature of the neoplasm. Do both and cover all bases.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.