Supplement talk

1,382 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 4th and Inches
ScottS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm not sure where else to post this. Its kind of scientific and boring for the chit chat board but wanted to drop this in here as it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else. I've never really looked into supplements, other than maybe a multi vitamin. So, my question is what supplements do you take and are there supplements that should be taken at different age ranges? Anyway, any info would be appreciated.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
ScottS said:

So, my question is what supplements do you take and are there supplements that should be taken at different age ranges? Anyway, any info would be appreciated.
Vodka. Not recommended for those under 21.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
saabing bear
Melatonin. Sometimes gets me through the night, sometimes doesn't.
BellCountyBear
Based on the copious radio commercials, "Balance of Nature" is all you need! (Never tried it myself)
william
BnC.

- KKM
>>Carve away the stone (Sisyhpus)
Carve away the stone
Make a graven image
With some features of your own<<
bularry
I take some supplements of dried grass fed beef organs, which add various vitamins and minerals... I also usually take vitamins C & D and some other one I can't remember that my wife buys for us, supports brain health

I don't take stuff everyday, but I take them pretty regularly.
FLBear5630
ScottS said:

I'm not sure where else to post this. Its kind of scientific and boring for the chit chat board but wanted to drop this in here as it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else. I've never really looked into supplements, other than maybe a multi vitamin. So, my question is what supplements do you take and are there supplements that should be taken at different age ranges? Anyway, any info would be appreciated.
Believer in Supplements especially if you are working out. Pushing 60, so added based on need and age (see P-Well and Maritime Pine Bark). If a specific brand, I noted.

Brands - Big BioTest and Ryse fan.

Morning - BioTest P-Well, B12, D3, Selenium

Evening in Shake - Ryse Loaded Protein, BioTest ZMA (zinc, magnesium, B6), Maritime Pine Bark. Vitamin C and Collagen

Whether they work? Who knows. But, being proactive beats doing nothing.

There is a good bodybuilding website T-Nation that gives good analysis (cited by credible sources), but it is sponsored by BioTest so keep that in mind. I always believed the new information will come from the fringe, so if you get beyond the Bodybuilding aspect it has good information.

If you are anti-supplement, not going to matter what anything says.
Mr Tulip
There's decent evidence that the B-series vitamins statistically move the needle in terms of neurological issues like dementia. I take a B supplement that's probably overkill. It turns your pee bright yellow.
I take the "coenzyme" with the alphabet soup name. CoQ10 or something. It's supposed to support cellular function such as energy conversion, repair and growth. May help heart health and suppress LDL.
I've found a level of magnesium that my body likes. Mg also supports cellular energy production, nerve growth, and regeneration. Too high of a dose can kick the lower GI tract into overdrive leading to abdominal cramping.
Finally, I throw in Vitamin E. Likely should be fish oil, but is probably the least useful of the regimen anyhow. More of a mental thing than anything.

My daughter moving back in with the family is helping me with my diet. I attack red meat like no one's business. Since I do the cooking and the shopping, I go for what I like. She doesn't like that much red meat, so I'm branching into more fish and chicken. She eats more rice and starch than I do, so I gotta keep up the proteins. Eggs get a bad rap, so they're my go-to for breakfast. Alternate mornings with oatmeal. I work in a banana every day.

Still working on the "moderate" part of "moderate drinking".

Mostly exercise. I'm 52 and aren't looking for the pumped up gym physique. I'm blessed with a heavy mountain bike that's impractical for road riding, so I ride it to work and back during the week. It's an hour of intense cardio every day that I don't have to plan for. The Good Lord didn't favor me with much upper body mass, so I'm attempting to maximize it with lots of pushups. Most of this is intended for spine and joint support and flexibility.

I'm reaching the "use it or lose it" stage. Working to keep "using it",
Keyser Soze
A few and more impotantly the reason

D - Dr rx, many people are cronically low

CoQ10 - take a statin for chol. You need this if you take a statin

Magnesium - good for sleep

Most vit you don't need with a normal diet
bularry
I'm 54 and got out of the habit of usual exercise about 5 years ago.... not sure why, but definitely feeling the "lose it" impact

trying to re-establish some routines now

Didn't mention before but take Ultimate Omega 3 vitamins and a supplement called Tong-Kat something...supports testosterone I believe
FLBear5630
bularry said:

I'm 54 and got out of the habit of usual exercise about 5 years ago.... not sure why, but definitely feeling the "lose it" impact

trying to re-establish some routines now

Didn't mention before but take Ultimate Omega 3 vitamins and a supplement called Tong-Kat something...supports testosterone I believe
Best article on weight lifting I have read. Been doing for 4 years, highly recommend. Try to get past the bodybuilding aesthetic stuff and look at concepts.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/the-best-damn-workout-plan-for-natural-lifters/
ScottS
What about ginger? This makes it sound like it can help with weight loss and lowering blood pressure...

Ginger for Weight Loss and Benefits - HealthifyMe
Edmond Bear
Mr Tulip said:

There's decent evidence that the B-series vitamins statistically move the needle in terms of neurological issues like dementia. I take a B supplement that's probably overkill. It turns your pee bright yellow.
I take the "coenzyme" with the alphabet soup name. CoQ10 or something. It's supposed to support cellular function such as energy conversion, repair and growth. May help heart health and suppress LDL.
I've found a level of magnesium that my body likes. Mg also supports cellular energy production, nerve growth, and regeneration. Too high of a dose can kick the lower GI tract into overdrive leading to abdominal cramping.
Finally, I throw in Vitamin E. Likely should be fish oil, but is probably the least useful of the regimen anyhow. More of a mental thing than anything.

My daughter moving back in with the family is helping me with my diet. I attack red meat like no one's business. Since I do the cooking and the shopping, I go for what I like. She doesn't like that much red meat, so I'm branching into more fish and chicken. She eats more rice and starch than I do, so I gotta keep up the proteins. Eggs get a bad rap, so they're my go-to for breakfast. Alternate mornings with oatmeal. I work in a banana every day.

Still working on the "moderate" part of "moderate drinking".

Mostly exercise. I'm 52 and aren't looking for the pumped up gym physique. I'm blessed with a heavy mountain bike that's impractical for road riding, so I ride it to work and back during the week. It's an hour of intense cardio every day that I don't have to plan for. The Good Lord didn't favor me with much upper body mass, so I'm attempting to maximize it with lots of pushups. Most of this is intended for spine and joint support and flexibility.

I'm reaching the "use it or lose it" stage. Working to keep "using it",

If you are peeing yellow, it is unprocessed vitamins leaving your body. Like you said, 'overkill' or more nutrients than your body can process.

I'm interested in the B-series vitamins. Had to help take care of my father-in-law during some very uncomfortable moments while he had advanced alzheimers. I never want a child of mine to have to wipe my backside. Don't want that for myself or my wife. It's really, really, really horrible for alot of reasons.

But, do pill form vitamins actually work? My doctor's advice on taking a multi-vitamin? "Well....it can't hurt." Are there credible studies (Johns Hopkins, Harvard Medical, etc) that show a legit benefit?

william
RMF5630 said:

ScottS said:

I'm not sure where else to post this. Its kind of scientific and boring for the chit chat board but wanted to drop this in he ........... be taken at different age ranges? Anyway, any info would be appreciated.
...... Selenium .........

the info wars brand?

PA.

- UL

>>Carve away the stone (Sisyhpus)
Carve away the stone
Make a graven image
With some features of your own<<
FLBear5630
william said:

RMF5630 said:

ScottS said:

I'm not sure where else to post this. Its kind of scientific and boring for the chit chat board but wanted to drop this in he ........... be taken at different age ranges? Anyway, any info would be appreciated.
...... Selenium .........

the info wars brand?

PA.

- UL

Thorne.
4th and Inches
Keyser Soze said:

A few and more impotantly the reason

D - Dr rx, many people are cronically low

CoQ10 - take a statin for chol. You need this if you take a statin

Magnesium - good for sleep

Most vit you don't need with a normal diet

if you take a statin, make sure your doctor is monitoring you for the first few months. There are some side effects that can get pretty nasty for a small percent of people but arent common.
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.