Despite all its problems, the world is filled with much beauty and goodness.
I rarely watch SNL these days, but I suspect it is now as it always was: About 1/3 funny, 1/3 some decent chuckles, and 1/3 "meh, I shoulda gone to bed sooner."*
* Unless Steve Martin hosted. Then the funny number went waaaaaaaaay up.
I wouldn't say I watch it every week, but I'm still fairly regular. More often than not i tap out mid show saying, I think I'm old. I just don't get it anymore.
When this skit was done, the world was so peaceful
Only had the following happening that month
Syrian Civil War: The U.S. and France claimed evidence of sarin gas use by the Syrian government, prompting U.S.-Israel missile tests in the Mediterranean Wikipedia.
North-West Pakistan: A roadside bomb killed nine Pakistani soldiers near the Afghan border Wikipedia.
Sinai Peninsula: Egyptian forces killed 15 militants in a helicopter strike On This Day.
Nigeria: Islamist militants killed 20 people in northeastern villages On This Day; Boko Haram killed 18 in Borno State On This Day; a Boko Haram massacre killed over 42 at Gujba College EventsHistory.
Central African Republic: 60 people killed in clashes between rebels and loyalists On This Day.
Afghanistan: Taliban insurgents attacked the U.S. consulate in Herat, killing two Afghan police and injuring about 20 civilians EventsHistory.
Pakistan Earthquake: A magnitude 7.7 quake struck southern Pakistan, killing over 327 people EventsHistory.
Nairobi Westgate Attack: Al-Shabaab militants killed at least 67 people in a mall siege EventsHistory.
Peshawar Church Bombing: Suicide bombing at All Saints Church killed at least 75 people EventsHistory.
Guatemala Bus Crash: A bus plunged into a ravine, killing 44 and injuring 45 On This Day.
Guatemala City Gunfire: 11 killed and 18 injured in a shooting On This Day.
Jakarta Minibus Collision: Killed six, injured nine On This Day.
Iasi Train Collision: Killed 11 in Romania On This Day.
I haven't watched a full episode in over a decade but every once in a while a clip pops up somewhere on social media that I find to be funny. But that is about it. Most of the rest of it is trash the few times I have tried to watch it or see a clip pop up.
For example, one set of skits I find funny from the last few years was Nate Bargatze as George Washington. I can't post it here but it is pretty good.
There was another one of the weekend update guy that is married to Scarlett Johansson making fun of her role in a movie as a voice actress because without being able to look at that smokin body what is the point?
But usually, I see a clip and don't know the people in it, don't get the references they are making or just don't find it hilarious.
The celebrity Jeopardy skits were always gold. When they used to attack both political parties it was good, like the Palin v Clinton skits, etc.