Shady Grove now joins Threadgills and Magnolia Cafe I'm not returning.

4,130 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by muddybrazos
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Terrible.
SMack
I'm not returning either then.
fubar
I'll be there first thing tomorrow.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
PartyBear said:

Terrible.
Please forgive me, but I have absolutely no idea what this post means. Is this a Waco thing?
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
whitetrash
They'll turn it into another sushi place. Or a high rise condo.
Nguyen One Soon
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

PartyBear said:

Terrible.
Please forgive me, but I have absolutely no idea what this post means. Is this a Waco thing?
Three long time Austin eateries not reopening. Shady Grove was a neat restaurant/watering hole on Barton Springs.
fubar
Nguyen One Soon said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

PartyBear said:

Terrible.
Three long time Austin eateries not reopening. Shady Grove was a neat restaurant/watering hole on Barton Springs.
Guess I can sleep in.
william
snobs -

Mr Tulip
Shady Grove is a biergarten located on Barton Springs in Austin just down the road from the entrance to Zilker Park. It shared its tree covered green space with an RV park of the same name. It was an arm's length away from the first Chuy's I ever visited.

It really personified "old school" Austin where you could rent roller skates or ride a bike into the park, goof around, grab a beer and a greasy spoon meal, and kill the day.

If they're folding tents, I'm afraid the resulting property may be too expensive for anything other than a McEnterprise.
fadskier
I'm one of the few people that don't like Austin.
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
Mr Tulip
I don't want to sound like one of those "it ain't what it used to be", because there's a lot of Austinites who remember it from the 70's when it was a 50,000 person college town.

I was there through the early 90's through 2008. Even in that time, I saw plenty of change. It also happened to correspond to the time in my life when I was in my 20's through 30's. Being a double professional income - no kids couple in Austin during that time was a blast!

The fact that Austin isn't what it used to be is inescapable. Well, I'm not what I used to be either. Not worse, just different. I don't go clubbing every weekend, run up a $300 bar tab, and sleep til 2pm any more. My friends don't either. Yes, it still happens once in awhile, but those are planned.

Austin is still 90 minutes away when I want it. All other times, I enjoy being able to get where I'm going in 15 minutes.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Nguyen One Soon said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

PartyBear said:

Terrible.
Thank you Nguyen One Soon. Hope all is well with you Sir.

-- Barack Obama
PartyBear
Sorry about the typo in the title. I was on a phone. Plus I cant edit titles. Should have said "in not coming back or returning" whatever I said, not "I'm....." Although I did get a good laugh at myself when I saw it. Sorry I also assumed Waco being as close as it is in Austin that Waco folks would know some of the historic Austin restaurants as well.

I'm not sure if this is true. One time when I went to Shady Grove around 2010, an employee there told me that they and Chuy's had the same owner. This was about the time Chuy's was becoming a regional chain (it has since become almost a national chain now). I thought it would be cool if they duplicated that concept in other locations as well at the time. I'm really not sure if it is true or once was true decades ago or was true at the time I was told this. It seemed logical at the time, similar type of atmospheres and the original Chuy's is practically next door. If anyone knows please share. I hate to see it go. I had not been back since 2010 until this past February just before the shutdown. Glad I got that last visit in.
BellCountyBear
fadskier said:

I'm one of the few people that don't like Austin.
I'm one of those few.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
I live about 50 miles from Austin. In my 56 years of life, I have tried to avoid it whenever possible. I am able to give you directions to Darrell Royal Stadium but that is about it.

-- Barack Obama
SMack
PartyBear said:

Sorry about the typo in the title. I was on a phone. Plus I cant edit titles. Should have said "in not coming back or returning" whatever I said, not "I'm....." Although I did get a good laugh at myself when I saw it. Sorry I also assumed Waco being as close as it is in Austin that Waco folks would know some of the historic Austin restaurants as well.

I'm not sure if this is true. One time when I went to Shady Grove around 2010, an employee there told me that they and Chuy's had the same owner. This was about the time Chuy's was becoming a regional chain (it has since become almost a national chain now). I thought it would be cool if they duplicated that concept in other locations as well at the time. I'm really not sure if it is true or once was true decades ago or was true at the time I was told this. It seemed logical at the time, similar type of atmospheres and the original Chuy's is practically next door. If anyone knows please share. I hate to see it go. I had not been back since 2010 until this past February just before the shutdown. Glad I got that last visit in.
Sorry to hear you're not coming again.

Maybe it will get better.
ABC BEAR
william said:

snobs -

Nice pattern of social distancing
Stranger
I'm familiar with Threadgill's and Shady Grove closing. Magnolia Cafe? Is that in Austin or are you referring to Magnolia in Waco aka Chip and Joanna?
I'm a Bearbacker
drahthaar
Stranger said:

I'm familiar with Threadgill's and Shady Grove closing. Magnolia Cafe? Is that in Austin or are you referring to Magnolia in Waco aka Chip and Joanna?

In Austin. Good morning.
transmit5by9
I was born and raised in Austin, then left to attend Baylor in 1970. I moved back in 2000, then returned to Waco in 2009 when Twin Liquors opened their store at Bosque and Wooded Acres. As a manager, I had had quite enough of the daily commute up and down MoPac and kicking pangandlers out of the parking lot.

Austin is the prime example of "a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there".

If hitting up the bar scene regularly and attending over priced, crowded music festivals featuring acts you MIGHT have heard of is your thing, I say knock yourself out.

Since retirment has kicked in, I'm at the age that let's me get more than my fill of what it has to offer on a weekend trip maybe twice a year. I can at least drive there and, unlike Dallas or Houston, not get turned around.
The constant road construction sometimes makes the nice lady on Waze/Google Maps more of a hinderance than help. Uber/Lyft drivers are a roll of the dice.
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country.
Mr Tulip
transmit5by9 said:

I was born and raised in Austin, then left to attend Baylor in 1970. I moved back in 2000, then returned to Waco in 2009 when Twin Liquors opened their store at Bosque and Wooded Acres. As a manager, I had had quite enough of the daily commute up and down MoPac and kicking pangandlers out of the parking lot.

Austin is the prime example of "a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there".

If hitting up the bar scene regularly and attending over priced, crowded music festivals featuring acts you MIGHT have heard of is your thing, I say knock yourself out.

Since retirment has kicked in, I'm at the age that let's me get more than my fill of what it has to offer on a weekend trip maybe twice a year. I can at least drive there and, unlike Dallas or Houston, not get turned around.
The constant road construction sometimes makes the nice lady on Waze/Google Maps more of a hinderance than help. Uber/Lyft drivers are a roll of the dice.
You must have been in charge of "Reuben's" before things switched over! They were the guys who explained some differences in spirits and made some very helpful suggestions to a much younger me in the early days. I've been a customer ever since.

Because I still have a passion for the industrial and punk bands, I'll go hit up some of the ever changing venues in Austin when they tour. I may wear ear filters now (because being functionally deaf for two days isn't funny any more) and button down shirts (because nothing's more pathetic than the oldster in a concert tee), but I can still give as good as I get in the pit. Years of experience.

My daughter is finishing her freshman year at Texas, although she's been on my couch here in Waco since mid-March. Like everyone else, we'll see what September holds. I still have friends there, but it's more daylight activities and "remember when" now than it was.

I'm sad to see some of these places close up shop. Still Austin wasn't "what it once was" when I was there. It isn't what is was then now. Time makes you bolder, even children get older, and I'm getting older, too.
transmit5by9
Mr Tulip said:

transmit5by9 said:

You must have been in charge of "Reuben's" before things switched over! They were the guys who explained some differences in spirits and made some very helpful suggestions to a much younger me in the early days. I've been a customer ever since.

Because I still have a passion for the industrial and punk bands, I'll go hit up some of the ever changing venues in Austin when they tour. I may wear ear filters now (because being functionally deaf for two days isn't funny any more) and button down shirts (because nothing's more pathetic than the oldster in a concert tee), but I can still give as good as I get in the pit. Years of experience.

My daughter is finishing her freshman year at Texas, although she's been on my couch here in Waco since mid-March. Like everyone else, we'll see what September holds. I still have friends there, but it's more daylight activities and "remember when" now than it was.

I'm sad to see some of these places close up shop. Still Austin wasn't "what it once was" when I was there. It isn't what is was then now. Time makes you bolder, even children get older, and I'm getting older, too.
As a matter of fact, I was working at the Reuben's at South Congress and St. Elmo when Twins bought the chain. I think I even managed to hang on to a couple of my old shirts before they were replaced with the Twins branding. That was the last liquor store in Austin with a drive thru window still in operation (a whole set of nightmares that I won't go into.) I had to fight tooth and nail to convince the powers that be to bring in some decent wine and quit depending on sales of Boone's Farm and 40oz malt liquor.

I always enjoyed hand selling to young and inexperienced buyers. One advantage of a small store like that one is folks weren't overwhelmed when walking through the door. Waco's store being ten times the size with inventory to match could be overwhelming to folks used to Decorte's. It took time, but my crew and I found a way to make that work too.
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country.
BaylorHistory
We like to make the 90 minute drive every month or so from Waco. There are just too many cultural events, shopping, and restaurant types that you can't get in Waco.

I know a lot of people that are starting to resent the change you see in Waco now too.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Flaming Moderate
I went to Threadgill's once a few years ago - it was absolutely awful.

Magnolia and Shady Grove are huge losses, Austin institutions.
bularry
Flaming Moderate said:

I went to Threadgill's once a few years ago - it was absolutely awful.

Magnolia and Shady Grove are huge losses, Austin institutions.
Treadgill's has been dying for years.

Magnolia was doing the same.

I still kinda liked Shady Grove.
muddybrazos
Ive tripped on acid while in the yard at shady grove. I will miss that place.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.