Waco needs a "High End" Seafood Restaurant

5,131 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by WILLIS
The Old BEAR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We are getting overrun with cheap, low quality restaurants & there is a Mexican Food joint on every corner.
Time for Waco to get a quality seafood restaurant. Bring some quality seafood to Waco.
PartyBear
I dont know that McLennan County residents will support it enough for it to be worth it for the restaurant owner or parent company if you are talking chain. Sustained tourism might make it work. However the future of that at current levels is not as stable as it was just a few months ago (see Fixer Upper thread).

I do recall a nice locally owned seafood place called "Franklins" down in the warehouse district when it was fairly new. (Late 90s). It came in to the spot that "Burgers and Blues" was located at after it failed. I think the space has now been divided up and several things are in it now. It was on the other end from Ninfas.

I thought it was really good actually but did not last long maybe a year.
bularry
PartyBear said:

I dont know that McLennan County residents will support it enough for it to be worth it for the restaurant owner or parent company if you are talking chain. Sustained tourism might make it work. However the future of that at current levels is not as stable as it was just a few months ago (see Fixer Upper thread).

I do recall a nice locally owned seafood place called "Franklins" down in the warehouse district when it was fairly new. (Late 90s). It came in to the spot that "Burgers and Blues" was located at after it failed. I think the space has now been divided up and several things are in it now. It was on the other end from Ninfas.

I thought it was really good actually but did not last long maybe a year.

This is correct. Not enough savvy diners to support good seafood which is a difficult concept to pull off
Stranger
Pappadeaux was discussed a few years ago and actually looked into by the Pappas family group. It was determined that a city must have a population of at least 300,000 to make it a feasible location. Unfortunately Waco didn't measure up so its citizens must continue to patronize Long John Silver.
I'm a Bearbacker
bularry
Stranger said:

Pappadeaux was discussed a few years ago and actually looked into by the Pappas family group. It was determined that a city must have a population of at least 300,000 to make it a feasible location. Unfortunately Waco didn't measure up so its citizens must continue to patronize Long John Silver.
even Pappadeaux doesn't have a tremendous amount of fresh seafood. most is just mass, farm raised salmon, white fish, talapia, etc. I actually think that as a concept could do okay in Waco.

A restaurant really trying to serve fresh fish would have a tough time. hell, Houston can barely support such a concept.
Nguyen One Soon
Pappas came to town several years ago, and did an extensive look-see at Waco restaurant menus. When they saw all the cheap places, they said no thanks.

IMHO, Friday's has the best seafood in Waco. All fresh and tasty, with a Louisiana kick to it.
Stranger
Nguyen One Soon said:

Pappas came to town several years ago, and did an extensive look-see at Waco restaurant menus. When they saw all the cheap places, they said no thanks.

IMHO, Friday's has the best seafood in Waco. All fresh and tasty, with a Louisiana kick to it.

Where is Friday's? I thought they closed a few years ago
I'm a Bearbacker
The Old BEAR
Stranger said:

Amazing. Beaumont is a total population town of 100,000. Despite that fact, Pappadeaux's is one of it's most positive restaurants. Waiting lists run an hour. That disputes the rationale.
william
memories of 'surf and sirloin'.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=48891&forum=2

- KKM

BID.

Fetterman2024
PartyBear
First of all Jefferson county, the county in which Beaumont is located, is about the same size as McLennan (254K). Also the Papa Brothers or their company took a look at Waco for one of their concepts, it was not necessarily a Pappadeux's. It could have been one of their other concepts. Anyway they decided McLennan County would not support their prices during the lunch hour. It wasnt population size but demographics. This was about 10 years ago. Alot has changed since then and I believe they are being shown plans for the new mall to be built on 35 across from Central Texas Marketplace (which I still call the new mall) and other locations again. Not necessarily for a Pappadeux's mind you but for one of their concepts again I'm also not sure if enough has changed that they think it would be profitable at lunch as well now or not.
Nguyen One Soon
Stranger said:

Nguyen One Soon said:

Where is Friday's? I thought they closed a few years ago
This is just Friday's, not TG I Friday's. Has been open a few years. Is on Old Dallas Hwy. Couple from Lafayette relocated here and opened it. Just about eight tables, so get there early. Closed Sunday thru Tuesday. My favorites are the shrimp and oyster plate, or the boil pot when they have it.
BaylorGuy314
Coincidentally, I happen to know that a relatively high level Pappa's employee is moving to Waco soon.

Could be coincidence, as their spouse has received a job in the medical field here and the Pappa's job requires travel to DFW/Austin/SA, thereby making Waco potentially more convenient.

But I find it interesting nonetheless.
baylrballa
a decent sushi or bahn mi place would make a killing at lunch.

135 or 1424 does pretty well when I want nice seafood. but something more seafood focused would be nice.
PartyBear
There are at least a few sushi places in Waco that do well, believe it or not. There is one in the warehouse area down town, there is Wakko Roll, and Fuji serves sushi as well. I'm not a big sushi eater. My wife and kids like it though and not counting them I hear that these places I mentioned are really good (I'm not claiming people tell me it is the best sushi they have ever eaten however) and the fact they have been in business over a sustained period of time seems to indicate that.
baylrballa
PartyBear said:

There are at least a few sushi places in Waco that do well, believe it or not. There is one in the warehouse area down town, there is Wakko Roll, and Fuji serves sushi as well. I'm not a big sushi eater. My wife and kids like it though and not counting them I hear that these places I mentioned are really good (I'm not claiming people tell me it is the best sushi they have ever eaten however) and the fact they have been in business over a sustained period of time seems to indicate that.
Wacko smothered everything in mayo. It was very "waco" sushi. Certain things were ok.
Fuji is too dirty on the inside to let me consider ordering sushi.
Did hear decent things about teriyaki park downtown, but haven't ever been, too out of the way for lunch.
BCL79
Doug said:

Stranger said:

Amazing. Beaumont is a total population town of 100,000. Despite that fact, Pappadeaux's is one of it's most positive restaurants. Waiting lists run an hour. That disputes the rationale.
Also interesting about the beloved Pappas family. About half their spawn are aggies the others are whorns. Locals here in Collie Station have been crying for a Pappas offering for years too. Pappas has bought some prime land on University just off Hwy 6. That was about 3 years ago now. Still promising and still no dirt moving.

The Pappas folks are very savvy marketers and if they have doubts about Brazos county ... no way McLennan county can make it. Demos in Brazos County are very high, when you subtract the 65k kids. Lots of money here in the land of the collie.

My folks live in Waco and I'm up there a lot besides for BU games. Love the stuff going on in Waco area.
PartyBear
Why would you say that? 35 runs right through McLennan County. I would think McLennan would be a little better spot that Brazos County. Edit here, actually a much better location considering it is bigger and the growth occurring on the corridor.
The Old BEAR
PartyBear said:

Why would you say that? 35 runs right through McLennan County. I would think McLennan would be a little better spot that Brazos County. Edit here, actually a much better location considering it is bigger and the growth occurring on the corridor.
Fully agree.
Cisgendered Bear
What you're looking for is a Goode Co Seafood...not Pappablows.

The Goode Co profile is expanding with restaurants and territory. Maybe Waco could be the test market. Put it near 35 and let it ride!

***Disclaimer*** Easy to say when I have no skin in the game.
BCL79
Doug said:

PartyBear said:

Fully agree.
I say that simply because there is a TON of money in Brazos county. Oil, old cattle money, old cotton/farming money and, lots of baby boomer Ags who are retiring back because they "believe" College Station is heaven. Many of those guys are engineers and have made plenty of cash over the years. There are many new houses on local golf courses that sit empty most of the time 'cept football weekends. Just waiting or the actual retirement to kick in. I'm talkin' 3000 to 5000 sq ft custom homes. It is crazy here. I'm in real estate and miss out on all the old army buddy BS.
WILLIS
Cisgendered Bear said:

What you're looking for is a Goode Co Seafood...not Pappablows.

The Goode Co profile is expanding with restaurants and territory. Maybe Waco could be the test market. Put it near 35 and let it ride!

***Disclaimer*** Easy to say when I have no skin in the game.

Absolutely this. I freakin love Goode Co. Seafood. Getting something like Goode Co Seafood would make a huge statement vs Pappadeaux or Pappas seafood house. Goode Co would definitely be about as pricy as you could get for a full blown seafood joint. I mentioned this on the Waco development thread but Dead Fish Grill does well in Belton and it has a large sampling of grilled/blackened fishes (not just catfish and tilapia) along with all the fried stuff necessary for many of the locals. That would do well in Waco.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.