Football
Sponsored by

BU WR Armani Winfield enters transfer portal

4,593 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by ImABearToo
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He is the only Baylor player I am aware of entering the portal so far in this cycle

Bearsalwayswin
people are gonna say crazy loss he was a 4 star. Yes it was a big recruiting win but he never developed. And this one wasn't the staff
boognish_bear
Daveisabovereproach
Bearsalwayswin said:

people are gonna say crazy loss he was a 4 star. Yes it was a big recruiting win but he never developed. And this one wasn't the staff

Who has Dave recruited and developed. Not a lot of skins on the wall. Remember, this is the guy who benched Richard Reese
bear2be2
Bearsalwayswin said:

Good luck to Winfield at his next stop, but I can't get too worked up about this loss. He wasn't going to be a impact player for us this season ... or likely ever.

I was hoping he'd get more opportunities in an offense that utilized more wideouts than our last one did, but he was still going to be behind Jackson and Presley on the outside.
chorne68
He saw the handwriting on the wall.
ALLBEAR
He was misused.... Such a waste of talent
Wacoraisedbear
Was looking forward to seeing him get more reps in the new offense I wonder if Texas try's to pick him back up
MrGolfguy
Hope he lands somewhere OOC and has much success.
boykin_spaniel
We brought in some portal guys at receiver or at least the Texas State guy. We didn't graduate any top pass catchers. Winfield was not likely to see the field much. Nabors from the same class was getting more reps, even if they were mostly sweeps.
Big12Fan2024
Close race for the biggest bust at receiver in the history of Baylor football between Winfield and the 247 5 star wideout from Fort Worth who couldn't stay away from the weed during the Briles era.
boykin_spaniel
Gordon or Rhodes?
Big12Fan2024
boykin_spaniel said:

Gordon or Rhodes?
Gordon was a waste, not a bust. He put up good numbers when he played.

Rhodes is the one who was a bust. I think he then went to Bowling Green or Ohio U or one of those schools in that region and got booted for same thing after only a couple of games.
boognish_bear
So far we have two guys coming in at WR from portal

boognish_bear

ALLBEAR
boognish_bear said:

A lot of the same rhetoric from staff when Ketron came over... yawn. We are ELITE during practice..
ImABearToo
Hawkins tore us up last year so hoping this offense fits him like TxSt's did.
burg0047
ImABearToo said:

Hawkins tore us up last year so hoping this offense fits him like TxSt's did.

That's such an embarrassing thing to have to admit.
Killing Floor
4 star big body shredder wideout takes 8 receptions in 2 seasons and transfers.

So naturally this board says it's because he didn't get better.

Make that same statement next season when he's a draft prospect.
Stefano DiMera
We HAVE to have a deep threat... not only does it help the intermediate passing game but it helps the running game ..

Pressley and Jackson ain't no deep threats so I hope he's on campus or a portal get.
bear2be2
Killing Floor said:

If this happens, I'll agree we fumbled him. More often than not, these guys are never heard from again.

Talent at least flashes. And Winfield has done literally nothing the last two years that make what you suggest here likely. The most likely scenario/outcome is that he was just a recruiting miss.
bear2be2
Stefano DiMera said:

We HAVE to have a deep threat... not only does it help the intermediate passing game but it helps the running game ..

Pressley and Jackson ain't no deep threats so I hope he's on campus or a portal get.
Our deep threats are in the slot with Baldwin and Hawkins.

But let's not act like Jackson can't be a chunk play guy as well. Among qualifying receivers, he led our team in yards per catch with 17.5 last year.
Killing Floor
You simply cannot rep a skill position 8 times in 2 seasons and dismiss as "he didn't do enough". Yeah, he didn't.
Receiver can't call his own number. Can't throw to himself. Can't say a 4 star receiver should play 1/5 as many snaps as Josh Cameron and expect him to do twice as much.

And I'm not even going to start into Aranda's historic use of talent.
bear2be2
Killing Floor said:

You simply cannot rep a skill position 8 times in 2 seasons and dismiss as "he didn't do enough". Yeah, he didn't.
Receiver can't call his own number. Can't throw to himself. Can't say a 4 star receiver should play 1/5 as many snaps as Josh Cameron and expect him to do twice as much.

People said similar things about Jaylen Ellis. He played seven games with zero catches last year at Colorado. Talent produces at the skill positions.

There aren't many good football players hiding beyond the two-deeps of bad teams.
Daveisabovereproach
And now Nabors and Gibson apparently hit the portal

"wide receivers are going to be kicking down the doors to play in Jake Spavital's offense"

-premium board staff and sycophants circa four months ago

Alternatively: "they didn't get developed by the coaching staff, so not a big loss"
bear2be2
No Quarterback said:

"wide receivers are going to be kicking down the doors to play in Jake Spavital's offense"

Alternatively: "they didn't get developed by the coaching staff, so not a big loss"

All these transfers will leave us light at the receiver position, but the great thing about the portal is you can reload quickly.

And I would take productive college players over the guys we're losing any day. We'll find out soon enough, though, if any of it matters.

If we don't win at least six or seven games this year, we'll be losing our entire roster to the portal with a staff change anyway. I don't see the point in getting worked up about it, personally.
Daveisabovereproach
bear2be2 said:

No Quarterback said:

All these transfers will leave us light at the receiver position, but the great thing about the portal is you can reload quickly.

And I would take productive college players over the guys we're losing any day. We'll find out soon enough, though, if any of it matters.

If we don't win at least six or seven games this year, we'll be losing our entire roster to the portal with a staff change anyway. I don't see the point in getting worked up about it, personally.

I remember when Nabors, Winfield, and Gibson were talked about on this site as the "reloads" that everyone placed their hope in. And does anybody remember when Ketron Jackson was talked about as the next Stefon Diggs?
bear2be2
No Quarterback said:

bear2be2 said:

No Quarterback said:

I remember when Nabors, Winfield, and Gibson were talked about on this site as the "reloads" that everyone placed their hope in. And does anybody remember when Ketron Jackson was talked about as the next Stefon Diggs?
No recruit should be talked about like that. True freshman who are ready to come in an dominate college football are few and far between.

And Jackson was a productive receiver even if he wasn't the elite playmaker he was billed as. I expect him to have a solid year for us this fall if he can stay healthy.
Daveisabovereproach
And Dave has not earned the right to fail at developing any of his own recruits and then just go "oh well, let's get some random dudes out of the portal". I'm just hoping that Mack has already begun the process of scouting out Dave's replacement. Frankly, that should have began last November or so
Daveisabovereproach
Killing Floor said:

What's funny about all this talk of reloading or re-tooling in the transfer portal is that it assumes that you already had some ammo in your gun or tools on your belt beforehand. At this point, we have no known contributors AND no depth behind them at the receiver position
bear2be2
No Quarterback said:

Killing Floor said:

What's funny about all this talk of reloading or re-tooling in the transfer portal is that it assumes that you already had some ammo in your gun or tools on your belt beforehand. At this point, we have no known contributors AND no depth behind them at the receiver position
To suggest that Monaray Baldwin and Ketron Jackson aren't at least league average receivers in the current Big 12 is to overstate your case. And Hawkins' track record suggest he'll at least be a serviceable slot guy.

I think everyone here has tempered expectations for next season, to put it kindly. That doesn't mean we have to pretend that every player on our team is terrible -- except those who choose to transfer with almost no track record to speak of, oddly.
Big12Fan2024
Killing Floor said:

Yeah we heard the same thing about Yusuf Terry and Seth Jones when they transferred out to USF. One is completely out of football and the other caught 10 passes before transferring to a NAIA school in the fall. Not to mention the Ellis kid, another 4 star, who transferred to Colorado and I was "guaranteed" he would turn into an all conference receiver because he was NFL caliber. He didn't see the field there either other than special teams.
If you can't get PT with our receiving corp as marginal as it has been for several years now you aren't gonna magically turn into an all american somewhere else. There was a reason you didn't make the field and with Winfield not only did he have butter fingers but he had no clue how to run a basic route.
ImABearToo
Hope we can pick up some dudes for the Fall. Plug and play "Corey Coleman" types.
Daveisabovereproach
Big12Fan2024 said:

Killing Floor said:

Yeah we heard the same thing about Yusuf Terry and Seth Jones when they transferred out to USF. One is completely out of football and the other caught 10 passes before transferring to a NAIA school in the fall. Not to mention the Ellis kid, another 4 star, who transferred to Colorado and I was "guaranteed" he would turn into an all conference receiver because he was NFL caliber. He didn't see the field there either other than special teams.
If you can't get PT with our receiving corp as marginal as it has been for several years now you aren't gonna magically turn into an all american somewhere else. There was a reason you didn't make the field and with Winfield not only did he have butter fingers but he had no clue how to run a basic route.

So what does that say about the way our staff develops and recruits? Seems like Dave sure has recruited a lot of busts. Or he's just not developing these guys. It's a poop sandwich, and a bite has to be taken out of it from somewhere
Daveisabovereproach
ImABearToo said:

Hope we can pick up some dudes for the Fall. Plug and play "Corey Coleman" types.

You've got to be Florida, UT, Georgia, Bama etc. to land that type of player out of the portal. We tend to get third team all Sunbelt type players and then expect them to be Corey Coleman
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.