Football
Sponsored by

QBs in the transfer portal

4,605 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by guadalupeoso
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Since Grimes made the comment about possibly being open to a transfer QB....just going to post QBs entering the portal as I see them come up.

TT QB Alan Bowman announced last week he was entering the portal.

Now CMC's bros

boognish_bear
guadalupeoso
I think Terry Wilson from Kentucky would be a transfer worth taking a look at.
Ewalker80
No chance we would bite on any of those two in my view. I took grimes comment to be more like "theoretically we would look to upgrade at any position." Almost axiomatic coach speak and I think people are likely reading too much into it. Obviously there is not an entrenched starter but if they looked at a transfer I would be shocked if it isn't someone who already has a lot of proven success at another school and significantly decreases the risk we can't find someone to perform at a high level out of those four. We have four qbs on campus that have a lot of talent on paper and so bringing in a fifth qb with mere potential accomplishes little and has potential downside. I also think scholarships are likely better used at other positions now like O line. I think the chance of a qb transfer happening are very small because you need a confluence of someone proven enough to reduce our risk but that wants to step into what was last year one of the worst offenses in the country. The next joe burrow or Justin fields is. It coming here right now-very unlikely.
boognish_bear
Can I interest you in a 26 year old sophomore?

MrGolfguy
I'd be for bringing Luke McCaffrey in and letting him compete for the starting QB job. I liked what i saw out of him in limited time for a mediocre Nebraska team.
boognish_bear

Dia del DougO
I think the kind of qb that would be most beneficial is someone who has some starting experience, or at least a good amount of playing experience in legit situations, who may have a year or two left that would offer more experience and some upside to compete for the starting job while continuing to develop the younger players, if neither wins that starting job.

I don't think it is as beneficial to bring in a younger prospect that has similar experience to Zeno and and Gerry, but if they really like the talent, go for it.

Losing Brewer opened up competition, but also left a big void of experience.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Guy Noir
I do not understand why Aranda did not get the backup QBs more experience last year. A series here, or a Qtr there would've been good for the future.
Bearprof
McCaffrey is a terrific athlete and a mediocre college QB. Hard pass. There isn't a QB out there that is better than what we have thus far.
boognish_bear
Guy Noir said:

I do not understand why Aranda did not get the backup QBs more experience last year. A series here, or a Qtr there would've been good for the future.

Before this year we used to get Bohanon out there for some plays. I agree....they still could have gotten those guys some touches without needing to bench Brewer.
boognish_bear
BUbackerinET
Agree with all of this, and hope it's true - we have a lot of talent in-house that's just waiting to be "coached up." And, this staff should be able to accomplish that.
DanaDane
PartyBear
I kind of think this era of perpetual national signing day is kind of weird. I'm not opposed to these kids transferring if that is best for them. It is is just strange seeing the big National Signing Day which is now essentially in December rather than February become fairly meaningless now since any or all of them can bail on where they sign at any given moment. Class national rankings are really lacking meaning now when Texas, for example, can sign a top 5 class and the high lights of the class are starting at Ohio State or Michigan or in some cases SMU their sophomore years and vice versa.
TxRainMkr
There is some quarterback talent in the transfer portal. The problem I'm having, is if we are saying we have so much talent sitting in our quarterback room, that we don't need to add a transfer quarterback, then why did none of those guys play last season when our offense had so many struggles.
DanaDane
TxRainMkr said:

There is some quarterback talent in the transfer portal. The problem I'm having, is if we are saying we have so much talent sitting in our quarterback room, that we don't need to add a transfer quarterback, then why did none of those guys play last season when our offensive had so many struggles.

Every school thinks they have Heisman Trophy talented QBs in the Spring. Most find out quite differently when they line up against a conference opponent (whichever P5 conference) in September.
DanaDane
Doc Holliday
boognish_bear said:

Can I interest you in a 26 year old sophomore?

Dude looks 45 lol
Media Bear
DanaDane said:

Man the Wolverine talent pool has sunk mightily under Harbaugh ...
boognish_bear
MrGolfguy said:

I'd be for bringing Luke McCaffrey in and letting him compete for the starting QB job. I liked what i saw out of him in limited time for a mediocre Nebraska team.

BayouCity
TxRainMkr said:

There is some quarterback talent in the transfer portal. The problem I'm having, is if we are saying we have so much talent sitting in our quarterback room, that we don't need to add a transfer quarterback, then why did none of those guys play last season when our offense had so many struggles.

That's probably part of the reason why Fedora isn't here anymore. He wasn't about to pull Charlie and take a chance with anyone else. Maybe it's because there weren't any better options - or maybe because he hadn't done any work to develop the guys behind him in the depth chart.

From watching our spring game, it looks like each of our QBs have anywhere from 35-65% of what it takes to be a starter ie fast but inexperienced or huge arm but inaccurate or accurate arm but no deep ball, etc.

They each have good qualities but none of them are able to show that they are "the guy" and that really sucks.
guadalupeoso
This is where I'm at. I think given the circumstances, you go with the guy who can do the most things and be the most variable (which to me is probably Gerry), but I really don't have much confidence in any of them at this point. And i'm not saying that is their fault, I think it's clear that we have multiple qb's on the roster with ability, but there just appears to have not been much development in the past for any of them up to this point.
Media Bear
BayouCity said:

From watching our spring game, it looks like each of our QBs have anywhere from 35-65% of what it takes to be a starter ie fast but inexperienced or huge arm but inaccurate or accurate arm but no deep ball, etc.

They each have good qualities but none of them are able to show that they are "the guy" and that really sucks.
I'm afraid our QB situation -- at least this season -- will be much like that old Flip Wilson saying:

"What you see, is what you get."
Ewalker80
Media Bear said:

BayouCity said:

I'm afraid our QB situation -- at least this season -- will be much like that old Flip Wilson saying:

I think many folks' expectations are too high. Gerry moved the ball pretty well against a top defense in the spring game. He doesn't need to do much to keep us in a lot of games I think he continues to be underestimated because his best attributes are only clear in games (he is tough to tackle chiefly) and people continually forget he was injured at the end of 2019 and looked very dangerous early in the year. We don't need him to be Vince young to be a very good team. He can just be something like one of the better Kansas state style quarterbacks (run quite a bit and keep defenses honest with arm) and we are in a whole bunch of games and have a pretty high ceiling, given how good our defense will likely be. I reason to be dismayed because he doesn't look like a future nfl qb throwing the ball. If people were dead set on Zeno being an all big 12 caliber web next season that was probably premature expectations. If he wins the job there will be a lot of growing pains in passing game most likely. Doesn't mean he wouldn't also be serviceable and likely an upgrade from last season. Our qb play last year was honestly atrocious in almost every game even controlling for bad ol play.
BayouCity
Good points about going up against a really tough defense. With Aranda's defense in its second year and some key starters returning, they should make some Big XII QBs look bad.

Couple that with inconsistent offensive schemes over the past several years and its no wonder nobody has risen to the top. We may only need a QB to be "fair - good" to make a bowl.
MrGolfguy
boognish_bear said:

Good pickup for Rice football.

Fun fact - Rice is undefeated all-time vs Alabama (3-0); that's right - Bama is Rice's b1tch.
HarryMehre
MrGolfguy said:

boognish_bear said:

Good pickup for Rice football.

Fun fact - Rice is undefeated all-time vs Alabama (3-0); that's right - Bama is Rice's b1tch.
Rice is also undefeated against Georgia (1-0) and Auburn (2-0). They hold the series lead against Florida (4-3-1) as well.

Not bad, holding the series lead against 4 of the SEC traditional Big 6 football powers.

Of course, there aren't many people still alive that remember these games.....................
chorne68
Go with what we have. The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.,
Greenbear
I think we have talent at QB, or enough, to be very competitive at this spot. What we haven't had is offensive continuity since Rhule left. With coaching changes comes scheme changes and different QBs and skills are needed. Different kinds of talent is recruited based on schemes so we are left with QBs that were recruited for another scheme asking them now to adapt and adjust. Most can, but I believe one reason why Rhule started so many freshman in year one was because he wanted his type of players. That may hold true here over the course of a year. I would not be surprised to see our offensive staff choose a younger QB they recruited for their system. In the meantime, all the talent we have is good enough for us to be more than competitive, imo.
guadalupeoso
Ewalker80 said:

Media Bear said:

BayouCity said:

I think many folks' expectations are too high. Gerry moved the ball pretty well against a top defense in the spring game. He doesn't need to do much to keep us in a lot of games I think he continues to be underestimated because his best attributes are only clear in games (he is tough to tackle chiefly) and people continually forget he was injured at the end of 2019 and looked very dangerous early in the year. We don't need him to be Vince young to be a very good team. He can just be something like one of the better Kansas state style quarterbacks (run quite a bit and keep defenses honest with arm) and we are in a whole bunch of games and have a pretty high ceiling, given how good our defense will likely be. I reason to be dismayed because he doesn't look like a future nfl qb throwing the ball. If people were dead set on Zeno being an all big 12 caliber web next season that was probably premature expectations. If he wins the job there will be a lot of growing pains in passing game most likely. Doesn't mean he wouldn't also be serviceable and likely an upgrade from last season. Our qb play last year was honestly atrocious in almost every game even controlling for bad ol play.
I would absolutely take it if Gerry can play like a Bill Snyder K-State qb. Run the ball, have command over the simple throws and early reads, and don't turn it over. That would be marvelous and if that's the case, I could see us getting 7-8 wins easily. Unfortunately, I'm not as optimistic as you, but I hope you are correct!
MrGolfguy
guadalupeoso said:

I would absolutely take it if Gerry can play like a Bill Snyder K-State qb. Run the ball, have command over the simple throws and early reads, and don't turn it over. That would be marvelous and if that's the case, I could see us getting 7-8 wins easily. Unfortunately, I'm not as optimistic as you, but I hope you are correct!
Very much agree
Ewalker80
guadalupeoso said:

Ewalker80 said:

Media Bear said:

BayouCity said:

Appreciate the cordial disagreement. Hope springs eternal
CHP Bear
Have enjoyed reading above posts. Lots of good comments. My take is right now we have 2 good backup QBs. If our O/line can't produce then it won't make any difference who takes the snap. Produce means pass protection and run blocking. Being able to have some progression time is a good thing.
DanaDane
He wouldn't be running behind Bill Snyder's offensive line, which was almost always one of the top 3 or 4 in the conference. He'd be running behind the 9th best offensive line in the conference (some would argue 10th) = 2 yards a carry.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.