Terry Black's BBQ Coming to Waco

5,520 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by baylor1984
WacoKelly83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://wacotrib.com/business/local/mike-copeland-terry-blacks-barbecue-in-waco-main-event-opening-date-sports-possibilities/article_4492c312-9eee-11ec-8291-c7e1e5dcfd38.html#tracking-source=home-top-story
Dia del DougO
Cool.

Finally tried Guess a couple of weeks ago. It was decent, didn't blow me over. Prices were silly high.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Boernebear
That's a great addition for downtown, and I think they will do it right. Anything that Gensler and RO are involved in is usually extremely well done from a design/development perspective as well. Real money being spent on redeveloping this building.

Terry Black's also purchased an incredible site near the Pearl in San Antonio where they are planning a mixed use development that will possibly include a hotel and apartments along with their restaurant and other concepts.
Big12Bear
That's a fairly big deal. They'll be a welcome addition to Big W.

I've been to their Deep Ellum location a few times and it's a good setup, including a 2nd story outdoor patio. BBQ was great on 2 of the 3 visits. Had a bit of sticker shock, but you can say that about most BBQ places right now.

OsoCoreyell
Here's my breakdown of their offering:
Brisket B
Pork Ribs B
Beef Rib A
Chicken B+
Sausage B+
Bexar Pitts
OsoCoreyell said:

Here's my breakdown of their offering:
Brisket B
Pork Ribs B
Beef Rib A
Chicken B+
Sausage B+
Just checked the prices online...Feel free to correct me if this is in error...$260 for large family pack ( feeds 10-12) $130 for small (feeds 5-6)...I guess I'm just spoiled to "old" Waco food costs, and I know it's sky high now here too..But, dayum!.. I can understand why I smell pits being fired up when I walk the neighborhood during early evening..Tempted to knock on some doors and ask if they've got room for another "willing to pay" eater! :-)
PartyBear
I hate the Trib Pay Wall that exists now. What does it say?
blueskymesa
PartyBear said:

I hate the Trib Pay Wall that exists now. What does it say?
Waco real estate agent Clay Fuller has landed a big slab of brisket. He brokered a deal that will bring Terry Black's Barbecue to Waco, in the vacant Morrison Heating & Plumbing Supply building at Eighth Street and Mary Avenue.
Fuller said Terry Black's could not resist what downtown has to offer. It will do business in the vicinity of the Union Hall food hall, Pivovar, Magnolia Market at the Silos and The Findery. Across Eighth Street is the federal courthouse. About a block away, at Ninth Street and Franklin Avenue, the old Tribune-Herald building will become Chip and Joanna Gaines' corporate headquarters following a major renovation.

The Texas Meter & Device Co. building, 300 S. Eighth St., sits across Mary Avenue from the Morrison building. The same Czech investment group behind the Pivovar restaurant brewery, bakery and hotel has said it would love to place a high-rise where Texas Meter now operates, one offering professional office space and more.

Anyway, local barbecue aficionados probably know the Terry Black's name. The company is related, through familial but not corporate ties, to the Black's Barbecue launched in 1932 in Lockhart and in its fourth generation of founder Edgar Black's family. Twins Michael and Mark Black, members of that fourth generation, split off with their own operation in Austin approaching a decade ago. After some legal wrangling, they landed on the name Terry Black's Barbecue, using their father's name while their uncle continued at Black's Barbecue.

Both operations have landed on Texas Monthly's top-50 list of Texas barbecue joints. The Terry Black's in Waco will join locations in Austin, Dallas and Lockhart.

Fuller said the 10,000-square-foot Morrison building will feature the barbecue restaurant and another operation to be determined. He said the Gensler architectural firm will design the Terry Black's location in Waco, and Rogers-O'Brien Construction will serve as general contractor.
"Over the last six months, we have been looking for the right opportunity," Fuller said. "They bring generations of BBQ knowledge and operation experience. I cannot wait to see what Gensler and the family design for this site. It will be special for everyone to enjoy."
Dia del DougO
In case it was missed, that's Clay Fuller of Baylor football a while back, now Waco real estate mogul making things happen.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
KOKQB70
And son in law of what lady that dumped on Baylor?
KOKQB70
And son in law of what lady that dumped on Baylor?
STxBear81
How does Blacks prices compare to Helbergs? last i saw Helbergs Brisket was 30$/lb
Robert Wilson
This will be a nice add. Eaten at the one in Austin several times. Good combo of quality and non-stupid wait times compared to the other Austin options. It is well run. Always nice to add quality and critical mass to downtown. I expect the silo acolytes will overrun it when they're in town.
Bear Doc
If this place distracts the tourists from finding Helberg and making their lines longer, I am all for it!
GoBearsGo
BornAgain said:

How does Blacks prices compare to Helbergs? last i saw Helbergs Brisket was 30$/lb

Prime brisket is almost $6/lb for a restaurant. After trimming and loss from cooking it's closer to $12/lb and the usual is 3x's so $30 is probably about right.
Stranger
Is this the Terry Black that played basketball at Baylor and beat the crap out of Kansas? Still my favorite Baylor baller.
I'm a Bearbacker
1outawayBear
Best part of Terry Blacks is their sides IMO. Brisket is good too, but their sides will by far be the best in Waco.
Eleven-League Grant
Quote:

I guess I'm just spoiled to "old" Waco food costs, and I know it's sky high now here too
I understand your sentiments.

Back in the early '80s, I took some out-of-town guests to Georges (still owned by George Betros at that time) for dinner and refreshments.

At first they weren't too impressed by the atmosphere, which was pretty spartan back then, but when they opened the menus and saw the prices, they asked me "is this place for real"?

At the time, George was selling his double chicken fried steak 'dinner' in the $4-5 range, IIRC. Of course, those CFS at the time were just prefabricated patties, but then hot gravy hides a multitude of sins.

{For the record, Citrano has done a good job keeping the lid on his menu prices too, which has to be quite a challenge in the current environment}.
Dia del DougO
I only went to Terry Black's in Austin the first year they opened. At the time I thought their brisket and ribs were just above average, not great, and I had been hitting a lot of places in those days to have recent comparisons. But they started getting rave reviews and I haven't been back, so maybe they got it figured out. But location to location you never know, the name doesn't make it great.
4th and Inches
GoBearsGo said:

BornAgain said:

Prime brisket is almost $6/lb for a restaurant. After trimming and loss from cooking it's closer to $12/lb and the usual is 3x's so $30 is probably about right.
thats for large commercial packer brisket, upper level wagyu brisket selling for retail for .75 to 1.00 an ounce..
Bexar Pitts
Eleven-League Grant said:

Quote:

I guess I'm just spoiled to "old" Waco food costs, and I know it's sky high now here too
I understand your sentiments.

Back in the early '80s, I took some out-of-town guests to Georges (still owned by George Betros at that time) for dinner and refreshments.

At first they weren't too impressed by the atmosphere, which was pretty spartan back then, but when they opened the menus and saw the prices, they asked me "is this place for real"?

At the time, George was selling his double chicken fried steak 'dinner' in the $4-5 range, IIRC. Of course, those CFS at the time were just prefabricated patties, but then hot gravy hides a multitude of sins.

{For the record, Citrano has done a good job keeping the lid on his menu prices too, which has to be quite a challenge in the current environment}.
I retired about 7 years ago, and I'm extremely blessed to not feel the inflation pinch as much as some folks..I don't see how people living on solely a SS income will be able to afford many things ( like a $260 dollar family pack of old animal flesh, taters, red beans,white bread and onions) if prices keep surging on practically everything we pay for in our daily existence..It bothers me when I read that now about half of American families can't afford an emergency $400 bill for a new appliance...Our debt, both personal and public, is staggering...and it's got to be paid..or else the pain will spread to debt holders, too..Maybe we're there now...Anyway, sorry to ramble..this is a huge topic unto itself..Back to your statement, ..Yes, Sammy has done a great job in making his menu as affordable as possible to as many as possible..And his business shows it..Well done! (no pun intended!)
Yogi
Hey, but the Waco location needs something special the others don't:

A large mural of Terry Black dunking Kansas.

Helps with the new arena being built nearby.
Robert Wilson
Yogi said:

Hey, but the Waco location needs something special the others don't:

A large mural of Terry Black dunking Kansas.

Helps with the new arena being built nearby.

This needs to happen
br53
Stranger said:

Is this the Terry Black that played basketball at Baylor and beat the crap out of Kansas? Still my favorite Baylor baller.
No, but real close relation and resemblance.
The battle is not yours, but God's.
2 Chronicles 20:15
Dia del DougO
Terry probably made a few bucks in Europe. Maybe he can chip in and be a partner and spokesman. .Seems like a slam dunk.
baylor1984
Eat at Terry Black's in Deep Ellum at least once a month. Excellent BBQ and definitely one of my favorite BBQ places in the Metroplex.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.