CAVA Mediterranean Grill opening near Baylor

4,882 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BaylorHistory
southtexasbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mediterranean-inspired cuisine as CAVA Mediterranean Grill is set to replace McAlister's Deli at 812 S 6th St. Due to open September 15, 2023.

Just went a few weeks ago w my family and they just said they wished we had one in Waco.

OsoCoreyell
Cava is pretty good, and McAlisters has declined so precipitously as to be yucky. Not as bad as Collin Street (which is just horrible).
PartyBear
I had no idea McAlister's closed. I used to go fairly regularly until Magnolia traffic made it more challenging to get to to. That said it didnt seem like I was there that long ago and it seemed to be doing fine. It has been there since when about 2000/01 maybe 99?
Redbrickbear
PartyBear said:

I had no idea McAlister's closed. I used to go fairly regularly until Magnolia traffic made it more challenging to get to to. That said it didnt seem like I was there that long ago and it seemed to be doing fine. It has been there since when about 2000/01 maybe 99?
Every time I see a McAlister's its doing great.

Hard to imagine that one located by Baylor could be run into the ground.
whitetrash
McAlister's app is still showing the Baylor location open.
SteamedHams
We hit up the Hewitt McAlister's on the regular on Sundays after church, kid's entrees are $.99, so, its popular with the parents-of-younger-kids crowd.
Scratchy Bear
southtexasbear said:

Mediterranean-inspired cuisine as CAVA Mediterranean Grill is set to replace McAlister's Deli at 812 S 6th St. Due to open September 15, 2023.

Just went a few weeks ago w my family and they just said they wished we had one in Waco.

It's all been downhill in that building ever since Archie's closed down.
southtexasbear
Scratchy Bear said:

southtexasbear said:

Yeah went to that McAllisters near Baylor about a year ago. It was seriously run down. Nothing at all like the one in Hewitt. I go to hewitt about twice a month.

Students don't really go to McAllisters near campus anymore…it's trash.
loanbear
southtexasbear said:

Cava is awesome. Eat there every time we are in Austin.
Edmond Bear
Scratchy Bear said:

southtexasbear said:

Archie's was awesome. 99 cent everything and loaded with salt. Perfect college food.
trey3216
southtexasbear said:

Scratchy Bear said:

southtexasbear said:

Yeah went to that McAllisters near Baylor about a year ago. It was seriously run down. Nothing at all like the one in Hewitt. I go to hewitt about twice a month.

Hewitt did a remodel right before COVID hit. Before the remodel, the place was a disgusting mess. I sat in one of their booths one time and the damn thing almost collapsed on me, and I'm not winning an Oscar for morbid obesity.

Oily floors, unclean tables, trash everywhere, very little capital investment into preventing everything from looking unkempt....no surprise.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
BaylorHistory
trey3216 said:

southtexasbear said:

Scratchy Bear said:

southtexasbear said:

and I'm not winning an Oscar for morbid obesity.

trey3216
BaylorHistory said:

trey3216 said:

southtexasbear said:

Scratchy Bear said:

southtexasbear said:

Almost 25 years since graduating high school and I wear the same size pants I did then, and weigh 15 fewer lbs than when I came to baylor (albeit I'm not in football playing shape or strength) but I don't believe I'm gonna get to 250 anytime in my life, let alone double that.
BaylorHistory
trey3216 said:

BaylorHistory said:

trey3216 said:

southtexasbear said:

Scratchy Bear said:

southtexasbear said:

Almost 25 years since graduating high school and I wear the same size pants I did then, and weigh 15 fewer lbs than when I came to baylor (albeit I'm not in football playing shape or strength) but I don't believe I'm gonna get to 250 anytime in my life, let alone double that.
Especially not with that attitude. If you put in a little effort and became dedicated to it, then I absolutely believe you could win an obesity Oscar.
FirmBear24
trey3216 said:

BaylorHistory said:

trey3216 said:

southtexasbear said:

Scratchy Bear said:

southtexasbear said:

And I saw you eating Billy Bob's with a brew for lunch about two weeks back. I walked outta there 5 pounds heavier.
trey3216
FirmBear24 said:

trey3216 said:

BaylorHistory said:

trey3216 said:

southtexasbear said:

Scratchy Bear said:

southtexasbear said:

And I saw you eating Billy Bob's with a brew for lunch about two weeks back. I walked outta there 5 pounds heavier.
Facts. Nothing wrong with a lunch beer.
FirmBear24
trey3216 said:

FirmBear24 said:

trey3216 said:

BaylorHistory said:

trey3216 said:

southtexasbear said:

Scratchy Bear said:

southtexasbear said:

Facts. Nothing wrong with a lunch beer.

Agreed.
BearlyNose
D's Mediterranean Grill is a local Mediterranean favorite, but may not be well known to the Baylor crowd. It's near 15th and Colcord, has a small dining area, yet excellent food and reasonable prices.
If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
BaylorHistory
BearlyNose said:

D's Mediterranean Grill is a local Mediterranean favorite, but may not be well known to the Baylor crowd. It's near 15th and Colcord, has a small dining area, yet excellent food and reasonable prices.

D's is really good but the chicken souvlaki platter at Alpha Omega is the GOAT Mediterranean dish in Waco

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.