What has happened to our country ? - what is wrong with our teachers ??

4,887 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by cowboycwr
blueeyedbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
During the April 19 incident, a first grader at Plainview South Elementary reportedly performed a sexual act on another first grader while a teacher was in the room. The event was recorded on a school-owned iPad and later discovered by school personnel,

This is Texas now ????
BUDOS
First, before something like this is posted, IMO, it's best not to, because it's "reported". Has the investigation confirmed that there was such an incident, and that it was recorded on an iPad?
blueeyedbear
BUDOS said:

First, before something like this is posted, IMO, it's best not to, because it's "reported". Has the investigation confirmed that there was such an incident, and that it was recorded on an iPad?
The school is being sued by the parents. It happened.
blueeyedbear
Secondly there is a video.
For the record it was multiple boys abusing one girl.
UrsinusInfction
Mods probably need to move this to R&P, it has nothing to do with Waco
BUbearinARK
nvm
4th and Inches
Teacher should be fired.. immediately if not already.
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
blueeyedbear
UrsinusInfction said:

If transgender changes for children zealots are not here now they will be soon along with drag queen shows for elementary kids, the pro noun police and the it's not your child - its our child crowd.
Need to come together as a community and stop this or we will not have a community.
BUAL
Human beings always believe the times they live in feature the worst in human behavior. Almost never true. Check out the history of sexual abuse of kids in schools, churches and factories. Way worse 50 and 100 years ago. All of it is always bad and we need to fight it but now, with technology, we hear about it. Refuse to be divided by the media who has an agenda. Make kids aware they need to say no or say something to their parents. Awful folks are out there but they do not define us.
Moondoggie
What is wrong with our teacherS( plural) or, put in a way where it is more accurate, what is wrong with A teacher (singular)?

If this happened, it's a shame but let's not title a thread in a way that continues the current national narrative that it is ok to **** on teachers as a group….because it ain't.
trey3216
Moondoggie said:

What is wrong with our teacherS( plural) or, put in a way where it is more accurate, what is wrong with A teacher (singular)?

If this happened, it's a shame but let's not title a thread in a way that continues the current national narrative that it is ok to **** on teachers as a group….because it ain't.

No joke. I'd love for 1/2 the ingrates in this country have to be at home and deal with the emotional roller coaster my wife is on during the school year. Between ****head parents, ****heel kids, jackwagon lawmakers and ignorant administrators, our teachers are boxed into a hole of "Who Gives a **** about them!" It's sad as hell.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Redbrickbear
trey3216 said:

Moondoggie said:

No joke. I'd love for 1/2 the ingrates in this country have to be at home and deal with the emotional roller coaster my wife is on during the school year. Between ****head parents, ****heel kids, jackwagon lawmakers and ignorant administrators, our teachers are boxed into a hole of "Who Gives a **** about them!" It's sad as hell.

All good reasons my mom quit teaching. That my mother in law was happy to retire. And the reasons for why my wife no longer teaches in the class room.
BaylorHistory
trey3216 said:

Moondoggie said:

My wife has a 1/2 a day left until 2ish months off and she's still in a bad mood and looking to stab anyone that even looks at her the wrong way. That tells you everything about that profession. I'd be out in the lobby kissing everyone that came in the front door if I was about to get 2 months off.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
trey3216
BaylorHistory said:

trey3216 said:

Moondoggie said:

My wife has a 1/2 a day left until 2ish months off and she's still in a bad mood and looking to stab anyone that even looks at her the wrong way. That tells you everything about that profession. I'd be out in the lobby kissing everyone that came in the front door if I was about to get 2 months off.
The ones coming in the front door and leaving the classroom door are 90% of the reason why she wants to stab people. The other 10% sits in desks in a different building, many of whom have never been in her room (or any teaching room for that matter) with their several diplomas, and tell her how to do her job.
BUDOS
I agree, and my experience at teaching at both the high school and college levels was somewhat different. I don't disagree that such problems exist, and more at some places than others.
IMO, Changes are needed. However, change means that resistance is often lurking to sabotage efforts to enhance teaching and completion rates. Multiple problems imply the need for multiple approaches to find resolution.
When we are only having about 50-55% of us who start college actually obtain a degree, that should be a signal something isn't working. We are failing to optimize almost half of our human resources. We can do better. Change is required. To successfully implement the right changes, the appropriate leadership style in that specific situation is often essential, and where we often fail.
Robert Wilson
UrsinusInfction said:

Concur

Silly thread placement
stanfx
On the other hand, the question arises, what is wrong with children? It doesn't fit in my head how such things can come to the mind of first graders. Where is this world going... I would also point out that children are strongly influenced by their environment, including their families, peers, and the media. It's hard to figure out who is to blame, and I think it combines all of these. The problem is complex, and to study it in detail, I turned to educational resources, such as https://edubirdie.com/examples/argumentative-essays/ which contains papers that explore different points of view on topics related to the education and development of the child. By learning and participating in the discussions, we can work to find effective solutions to prevent these incidents and ensure a healthier future for our children.
BUDOS
What is wrong with some children may be a better question. And the world seems to be headed in a direction where parents continue to parent less.
Unfortunately some of those spend too much time on "priorities" other than their children and finding others to blame for stuff, but don't really care enough to change them.
However some do recognize that there are real issues with the education and work for improving the situations, and not just griping about it.
walkerwilson4
trey3216 said:

Moondoggie said:

No joke. I truly wish half the people in this country could experience the emotional roller coaster my wife goes through during the school year. Dealing with difficult parents, challenging students, unhelpful lawmakers, and clueless administrators, our teachers often feel neglected and unappreciated. It's genuinely disheartening.
bubear20
Same here. I teach in High Schools and get cussed at almost daily. Call home and get cussed for interrupting their day. Write a referral and have them back in class the next day and I get told to have better control

I've taught and coached in 7 schools and they are not what they portray in the news. There's no liberal agenda, they're not pushing LGBT, or CD or whatever else. Most Texas teachers are still conservative but dying for support.

We need help getting the STARR test canceled, we need support in asking admin and school boards to reinstate a standard, we need help returning to teaching kids things like math and English and not worried about career classes with 12-17 year olds who have very little clue what they want to do. Pay would be nice but that is so far down the list for teachers who care about our students and the current state of education.
BaylorHistory
bubear20 said:

we need help returning to teaching kids things like math and English and not worried about career classes with 12-17 year olds who have very little clue what they want to do.
That's pretty much all they teach at my wife's elementary and it still doesn't matter with everyone multiple grades below reading level if they aren't a level A (emergent reader) when they leave for middle school. She's in tears at least once a six weeks at this point and every single member of her team is planning to be out of the profession in the next 3 years tops.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
bubear20
100% the biggest difference is families don't read at home anymore. 20 minutes at night would make a world of difference. Also taking computers and tablets out of the classroom. A computer elective rotation is fine but having them at all times is too much, same thing at home! We also are having to teach to a test instead of teaching skills.
trey3216
BaylorHistory said:

bubear20 said:

we need help returning to teaching kids things like math and English and not worried about career classes with 12-17 year olds who have very little clue what they want to do.
That's pretty much all they teach at my wife's elementary and it still doesn't matter with everyone multiple grades below reading level if they aren't a level A (emergent reader) when they leave for middle school. She's in tears at least once a six weeks at this point and every single member of her team is planning to be out of the profession in the next 3 years tops.

Verbatim what my wife deals with on a daily basis.
cowboycwr
bubear20 said:

Same here. I teach in High Schools and get cussed at almost daily. Call home and get cussed for interrupting their day. Write a referral and have them back in class the next day and I get told to have better control

I've taught and coached in 7 schools and they are not what they portray in the news. There's no liberal agenda, they're not pushing LGBT, or CD or whatever else. Most Texas teachers are still conservative but dying for support.

We need help getting the STARR test canceled, we need support in asking admin and school boards to reinstate a standard, we need help returning to teaching kids things like math and English and not worried about career classes with 12-17 year olds who have very little clue what they want to do. Pay would be nice but that is so far down the list for teachers who care about our students and the current state of education.
It doesn't help that often times admin have their hands tied by state laws or district policies.

For example, districts that basically go to campuses and tell them they have to many minority students going to ISS, suspended or alternative school and want the number reduced so the state doesn't come in and say the same thing.

Or districts wanting to embrace all these restorative practices, restorative discipline, etc. type programs

or the laws like- students classified as homeless (which can mean living in a car, living in someone else's house like two families in one house but their parents aren't on the lease/owner, etc.) can only be suspended from school for serious offenses.

The STAAR needs to go. It is pointless. But so are half the classes taught. No need to be reading the "classics" (in high school or college- knowing what happened to macbeth has never helped me land a job or in life) and more focus on skill type classes (typing, computers, how to change a tire, etc.) or if it is a career class focus more on exploring all the different careers, what is needed to do them, trades, comparing pay of jobs, etc.
bubear20
Agree and when I said admin, it was more about district officials not campus.

Your last paragraph hits it on the head!

And tax payers should be pissed about STAAR, it cost the state $900 Mil/year.
cowboycwr
bubear20 said:

Agree and when I said admin, it was more about district officials not campus.

Your last paragraph hits it on the head!

And tax payers should be pissed about STAAR, it cost the state $900 Mil/year.

I figured you did.

And now that the test is all online it should cost maybe 1% of that. That money could be better spent elsewhere. But like all spending decisions it isn't really the teachers or parents getting to choose but rather the politicians, school board and district high ups.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.