How Waco Got The Best Surf In The World

2,217 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Moondoggie
BobHugginsBreathalyzer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.texasmonthly.com/travel/waco-surf-waves-drawing-californians/

Cool read about the spot that used to be the mid-2010's home for Dia
PartyBear
Why did the story say McLennan County is dry?
parch
PartyBear said:

Yeah that was weird, there are only 5 dry counties left in the state and none anywhere near CenTex. Sounds like they confused alcohol permits with dry regulations somehow. Also this writer has a, uh, flair for the dramatic...

The machine had gone silent, and there was no lapping of waves on the beacha sound that, in moments of pure bliss near the ocean, matches your breath and pairs you, like a Bluetooth speaker, with the universe.
PartyBear
Does this have a new owner? It looks much nicer than it used to. Looks more like a resort now with a hotel?
beardoc
PartyBear said:

It's Texas Monthly. Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.
PartyBear
beardoc said:

PartyBear said:

I thought the story made Waco look like a cool place. But I'm not aware of McLennan County ever being dry since the end of prohibition. While they were wrong about that. The story was generally very positive.
Harrison Bergeron
PartyBear said:

beardoc said:

PartyBear said:

I thought the story made Waco look like a cool place. But I'm not aware of McLennan County ever being dry since the end of prohibition. While they were wrong about that. The story was generally very positive.
Texas Monthly is basically a disinformation tool ... if it reported the Earth was round I would question it.
T-REX
PartyBear said:

Does this have a new owner? It looks much nicer than it used to. Looks more like a resort now with a hotel?
it was bought a year or 2 ago I believe
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
forza orsi
PartyBear said:

It's not exactly wrong. It's a local county/city option and part of McLennan County is completely dry. In McLennan County the local precincts and towns decide. Within the county, Justice Precinct 6 and the City of Moody are still completely dry. A number of other towns have beer and wine sales only for off-premises consumption (McGregor, Crawford, Gholson, and more) and some others allow beer, wine and distilled spirits for off-premises consumption (Leroy). Looking at the list, there are 29 separate places in the county with their own rules for alcohol sales. In places in McLennan where you can't sell it for on-premises consumption, your option is the private club. The park sits in an area where it's not legal to sell for on-premises consumption.

In answer to another question asked, the new owners, who are really good at what they do, bought it in April of 2021.
TenBears
I surfed there last week and had to buy a membership and get a wrist band to buy a beer. The kid that sold it to me said and I quote "Dude, the county line is literally right there", pointing. Super cool place.
Grinnin bear
I hope this place gets plenty of promotion. This article is really well done.

Waco/McLennan County continues to add cool new features that are fairly unique/unusual and attract people to Waco and Central Texas.

Baylor University
Magnola Market at the Silos
Balcones Distilling
Waco Suspension Bridge and Riverwalk
Cameron Park
Cameron Park Zoo
Waco Mammoth National Monument
Texas Sports Hall of Fame
Dr Pepper Museum
Texas Ranger Hall of Fame
Waco Surf
Hawaiian Falls Waco Waterpark
MCC
TSTC
william
surf n sirloin.

on franklin.

huaco's premier dining establishment.

since 1956.

- KKM

{ sipping covfefe }

{ eating donut }

pro ecclesia, pro javelina
Eleven-League Grant
Quote:

surf n sirloin.

on franklin.

huaco's premier dining establishment.
It took me a minute to figure it out. I suppose my brain is working slowly today.

Then it hit me. Waco's original Surf. {Now Guess Family BBQ, of course}.

That interior shot brought back a few good memories. Thanks.
Old300Bear
Yum. Good food!
Moondoggie
I do BARELY remember dining there when tiny, although I had forgotten that since forever. Became Michna's, as well. Best chopped in Waco. Miss that joint.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.