Yelp Top 100 Places to Eat in Texas

3,970 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by canoso
GeorgesBigO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.yelp.com/collection/vDbu1mpLEKomVmXmXNWG0Q/Top-100-Places-to-Eat-in-Texas-2023

Waco's Papa Jack's BBQ comes in at number 2. What's the word here, I've never heard of it?

I have no idea on the methodology but it's interesting nonetheless. Waco claims a couple of spots.
falconbear
These yelp lists are always screwy. Have seen some quite mediocre restaurants ranked on them.

Never heard of Papa Jack's either, which probably tells you something.
4th and Inches
falconbear said:

These yelp lists are always screwy. Have seen some quite mediocre restaurants ranked on them.

its on waco drive on the bellmead side of the river. Gray building.. all i can remember. Never been there
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
loanbear
GeorgesBigO said:

https://www.yelp.com/collection/vDbu1mpLEKomVmXmXNWG0Q/Top-100-Places-to-Eat-in-Texas-2023

Waco's Papa Jack's BBQ comes in at number 2. What's the word here, I've never heard of it?

I have no idea on the methodology but it's interesting nonetheless. Waco claims a couple of spots.
Man, reading those reviews makes me want to try it. May have to venture over there on a Friday.
TechDawgMc
falconbear said:

Took a quick glance through the list. Only have tried two, sort of. Cajun Skillet in Cedar Park is deserving of the high ranking. Authentic cajun is not easy to find in Central Texas. They are good, and really nice people to boot. They've also now opened a place in Temple.

I haven't actually eaten at the Arepitas in RR, but I have eaten at the one in Harker Heights a few times. Also good food. Probably never be my favorite style of food, but the food is a really nice mix of flavors.
ABC BEAR
I wandered in there last May and thought the food/sauce was worthy of its rating. The Family Dollar across Preston St. looked like it had been sprayed by gunfire at some point. Tough neighborhood.....Good Q.
BellCountyBear
ABC BEAR said:

I wandered in there last May and thought the food/sauce was worthy of its rating. The Family Dollar across Preston St. looked like it had been sprayed by gunfire at some point. Tough neighborhood.....Good Q.
So does Yelp recommend body armor before dining there?
loanbear
TechDawgMc said:

falconbear said:

Took a quick glance through the list. Only have tried two, sort of. Cajun Skillet in Cedar Park is deserving of the high ranking. Authentic cajun is not easy to find in Central Texas. They are good, and really nice people to boot. They've also now opened a place in Temple.

I haven't actually eaten at the Arepitas in RR, but I have eaten at the one in Harker Heights a few times. Also good food. Probably never be my favorite style of food, but the food is a really nice mix of flavors.
I love Arepitas. Eat at the one at Harker every time I am in the area for one of the kids games.
BCL79
I see that Papa Jacks is only open Thurs, Fri, and Saturday. I have never heard of them either.
hodedofome
The pics on google look pretty good, and there's 500 4.9* reviews on Google. I may have to check this out and report back.
BU99
Papa Jacks is a suoer nice couple. The husband cooks and they eventually opened up this location. It's almost like you are eating in their home as their guests.
hodedofome
I just got back from Papa Jacks and can confirm it deserves its ranking. I took 3 guys from the office and we're all in agreement. It is legit, and the best ribs I've ever had. I tried picking them up by the bone, but failed. All the meat fell off.

Brisket was solid, Mac and cheese and sweet potato casserole are what you get on Thanksgiving Day, and they gave us free dessert since it was our first time.

Papa Jack cooks the meat, Mrs Jack does the sides and dessert. She talked to us like we were the only ones in the place, yet it was packed. I have no idea how she is so personable yet does all the cooking at the same time.

They have a special menu the first Sunday of every month. She says the line starts at 10am, she opens at 12pm, and is sold out by 1:45pm.

She told us to come back on another Friday and get the nachos, apparently they are a big hit and humongous.

The place is pretty small and there's plenty of people wanting to eat, we were seated in the room with the refrigerators, the desserts and a couple of plastic tables. I've never eaten in a room like that, but I would go back and eat in there again in a heartbeat.

5* in my book.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UQzNZWsvASuBCM9v7
Biscuits_and_Gravy
Solid review, I'll have to try it!
60R
I got takeout a week ago Thursday. My wife likes very lean brisket on her sandwich. When I got home with order the sandwich was on light bread instead of a bun and meat was no different than my regular order on a one meat plate. We shared the sides that come with the plate ( potato salad and sweet potato casserole). Neither of the sides were exceptional. My meat had a lot of fat and had the texture and taste of plain roast. Maybe the ribs are better but not impressed with sides and brisket.
Redbrickbear
canoso
Redbrickbear said:

I remember the one that was on West Berry near the TCU campus, but only for its unique look...never ate there. My family were Hamburg Haven-ers (McCart near the old A.L. Davis grocery). Will stop before I start crying.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.