Waco 100 DJ Let Go

2,293 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Whiskey Pete
cowboycwr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any country music fans that went to Baylor in the last 30+ years or Waco people in general know of Zack Owen from the Zack and Jim show mornings on Waco 100.

Jim passed away 7 months ago and it was just Zack but he was let go Friday after his show.

I have seen a few people on Facebook upset about this claiming they will now boycott the station, won't listen anymore, won't advertise with them, etc. but I doubt that will change anything or get his job back.

https://www.kxxv.com/news/local-news/in-your-neighborhood/mclennan-county/waco/long-time-radio-dj-zack-owen-let-go-from-waco-100
SteamedHams
cowboycwr said:

Any country music fans that went to Baylor in the last 30+ years or Waco people in general know of Zack Owen from the Zack and Jim show mornings on Waco 100.

Jim passed away 7 months ago and it was just Zack but he was let go Friday after his show.

I have seen a few people on Facebook upset about this claiming they will now boycott the station, won't listen anymore, won't advertise with them, etc. but I doubt that will change anything or get his job back.

https://www.kxxv.com/news/local-news/in-your-neighborhood/mclennan-county/waco/long-time-radio-dj-zack-owen-let-go-from-waco-100
Who are these people still listening to terrestrial radio, particularly of the morning jock+commercials variety? There must be dozens of them. Dozens!
Mike E
Will we finally get Bobby Bones back
Coke Bear
Shared an office with 3 other guys for nearly 9 years and had to endure Zack and Jim during that time. Jim's commentary wasn't bad. Zack's takes on everything were nearly moronic. They happiest point on my day was when their show ended and I didn't have to listen to him again until the next morning.

Like everyone else in life, he has his own issues. Because of his persona, his have been on local social media. Seeing those issues didn't surprise me.

I hate to see anyone lose a job. I don't really listen to terrestrial radio. I'd say good riddance, but it's no impact on my life.
Eleven-League Grant
Quote:

Who are these people still listening to terrestrial radio, particularly of the morning jock+commercials variety? There must be dozens of them. Dozens!
I guess you can number me among those 'dozens'.

While I don't listen to music programming on terrestrial radio, and haven't in many, many, many years, I certainly listen for talk radio, in both political and Christian programming formats.

Apparently, so do many others, as advertisers wouldn't continue to buy expensive time on outlets such as WBAP / KTRH / KLBJ if they didn't get results.

Of course, some people listen to terrestrial radio via streaming, so ads on those stations reach those folks as well.

Yes, I'm old(ish). Guilty as charged.
4th and Inches
Zack and Jim were legends in local radio but I havent listened in years

I went to pandora then Apple music.. no commercials or DJs
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
cowboycwr
SteamedHams said:

cowboycwr said:

I didn't put that in my OP but I agree.

I don't listen to radio anymore. It is nothing but streaming services now or satellite radio. I want music. Not commercials and really don't even want djs anymore. Just music.

As to this show... I thought they were some of the worst- they would talk for the longest about random stuff, were never funny when they tried to be and just seemed like they were full of themselves.

I went to their weekly happy hour thing they used to do a couple of times and they seemed very pompous, acted like they were big time celebrities that deserved all sorts of free stuff and just came across as jerks.
trey3216
cowboycwr said:

SteamedHams said:

cowboycwr said:

I don't listen to radio anymore. It is nothing but streaming services now or satellite radio. I want music. Not commercials and really don't even want djs anymore. Just music.

As to this show... I thought they were some of the worst- they would talk for the longest about random stuff, were never funny when they tried to be and just seemed like they were full of themselves.

I went to their weekly happy hour thing they used to do a couple of times and they seemed very pompous, acted like they were big time celebrities that deserved all sorts of free stuff and just came across as jerks.
...and now go read the stories of them directly helping in raising hundreds of thousands if not several million dollars for local and national charities, spending countless hours working with folks in the community on projects, helping tons of other charities with free promotion and advertising on their airwaves, and a bunch of the other things they've done for people and maybe you'll get a little bit more of the total picture.

....and no, I never listened to their show in the mornings either.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
sipembeers
trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

SteamedHams said:

cowboycwr said:

...and now go read the stories of them directly helping in raising hundreds of thousands if not several million dollars for local and national charities, spending countless hours working with folks in the community on projects, helping tons of other charities with free promotion and advertising on their airwaves, and a bunch of the other things they've done for people and maybe you'll get a little bit more of the total picture.

This. The philanthropic work they did without looking for reward or praise is absolutely incredible.

The number of trips they took overseas with the troops, local work done and the American valor foundation, just to name a few.
cowboycwr
trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

SteamedHams said:

cowboycwr said:

OK. So what?

None of that changes anything I said about their show or they way they acted.

We could get into a back and forth posting about all sorts of celebrities, athletes, etc. that have helped raise money, directly given money, etc. to charities and then at the same time post stories about people who have worked directly for them, met them, etc. calling them some of the biggest jerks, rude, demanding, etc.

Think Ellen for one example.
trey3216
cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

SteamedHams said:

cowboycwr said:

OK. So what?

We could get into a back and forth posting about all sorts of celebrities, athletes, etc. that have helped raise money, directly given money, etc. to charities and then at the same time post stories about people who have worked directly for them, met them, etc. calling them some of the biggest jerks, rude, demanding, etc.

that's fair, I was merely pointing out that they may have acted like jerks that time or another, but they're both good dudes at heart. I used to could not stand Jim, then he apologized out of the blue one time for treating me bad at a party I bartended for them. (He was hammered that night). I accepted the apology and he always was good to me right up until he passed.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
cowboycwr
trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

SteamedHams said:

cowboycwr said:

OK. So what?

that's fair, I was merely pointing out that they may have acted like jerks that time or another, but they're both good dudes at heart. I used to could not stand Jim, then he apologized out of the blue one time for treating me bad at a party I bartended for them. (He was hammered that night). I accepted the apology and he always was good to me right up until he passed.
I feel I see a common theme between our posts.... They were drinking. Perhaps that is a common theme for the behavior I witnessed but thought since it was their behavior at the start of the event it was not connected ot their drinking.

I will admit they did lots of charity work and having been here such a long time were connected/concerned about the community but as far as their work (as djs) I never thought it was that good.

Then again I have always been one of those that don't want to listen to people talk when I listen the radio. I want music. Which is probably why I switched a long time ago to things like Pandora, Spotify, Satellite, etc. and have never gone back.
Mike E
Mike E said:

Will we finally get Bobby Bones back

Just heard on the radio that we will in fact be getting The Bobby Bones Show, starting Monday!
Whiskey Pete
Bobby Bones is show is replacing a lot of local country morning shows across the country at stations that iHeart (formerly Clear Channel, formerly AM/FM, formerly Capstar) owns
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.