Darden Restaurants buying the Chuy's chain.

4,695 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by lankylefty
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They have been the longtime owner of Olive Garden and Red Lobster as well. There is probably about to be a Chuy's in every mid sized city in the US and probably several in every major city.
SoonerFrogs
as if it didnt suck enough already. that blows.
Lund Vernquist
On the other hand they also own Capital Grille and Eddie V's, so perhaps all hope is not lost.
whitetrash
They unloaded Red Lobster a few years ago.

But Chuy's appears to be following the path of On the Border. Both started out as better than usual Mexican food that drove out mediocrities such as the Incredible Chi-Chi's, only to become the second coming of the Incredible Chi-Chi's.
BylrFan
enjoy chuy's while it's here
Bear Doc
Dang that sucks. I feel like everything Darden touches turns to caca.

Cheddar's is a prime example of this. Has been horrible since they got bought out.
PartyBear
whitetrash said:

They unloaded Red Lobster a few years ago.

But Chuy's appears to be following the path of On the Border. Both started out as better than usual Mexican food that drove out mediocrities such as the Incredible Chi-Chi's, only to become the second coming of the Incredible Chi-Chi's.
Yeah...Up until now (or when the deal closes) Chuy's still belonged to it's Austin founders even though they had expanded substantially around the country anyway over the last 10 years. I hope it doesnt lose something now but I suspect it will. Probably all the new ones build after this will be sleek looking designs and logos. The ones like the one in Waco will be viewed as the vintage Chuy's look before an eventual redesign of all of them, except perhaps the original on Barton Springs in Austin.

I kind of agree with Beardoc. Too many things Darden does goes out of business. That said when you own as many restaurants as they do or have they are bound to have some not survive statistically speaking.
BylrFan
Curious what this means for Hula Hut
PartyBear
Hula Hut has not been owned by the Chuy's folks for quite some time which is probably why they really havent turned into a chain. ( I asked someone there about that, thinking they did still have the same owners). Yes I know there is one up in the DFW area as well. But I dont think that makes them a chain like Chuy's had become.

BTW I had been hoping they would place on in Waco on the river.
sipembeers
PartyBear said:

Hula Hut has not been owned by the Chuy's folks for quite some time which is probably why they really havent turned into a chain. ( I asked someone there about that, thinking they did still have the same owners). Yes I know there is one up in the DFW area as well. But I dont think that makes them a chain like Chuy's had become.

BTW I had been hoping they would place on in Waco on the river.

I said they should have gone where slow rise in the Brazos is. To late now.
whitetrash
Darden's current brands:

Olive Garden
Longhorn Steakhouse
Cheddars
Yard House
Ruth's Chris Steakhouse
Capital Grille
Seasons 52
Bahama Breeze
Eddie V's
Chuy's

Sold Red Lobster in 2014 (smart move)

Failed concepts include:

China Coast (quite possibly the worst Chinese food I ever ate)
Smokey Bones (trying to sell oven-warmed BBQ in the South = bad idea)

Bear Doc
whitetrash said:

Darden's current brands:

Olive Garden
Longhorn Steakhouse
Cheddars
Yard House
Ruth's Chris Steakhouse
Capital Grille
Seasons 52
Bahama Breeze
Eddie V's
Chuy's

Failed concepts include:

Smokey Bones walked so Don Carlos could run!
PartyBear
whitetrash said:

Darden's current brands:

Olive Garden
Longhorn Steakhouse
Cheddars
Yard House
Ruth's Chris Steakhouse
Capital Grille
Seasons 52
Bahama Breeze
Eddie V's
Chuy's

Failed concepts include:

I was going to mention as examples of Darden's closures China Coast (which I doubt many people even remember--it was 30 years ago) and Smokey Bones which at least lasted a little longer than China Coast. Darden shut down all China Coasts about 6 months after the one in Waco opened, which occurred in December 94.

Bahama Breeze I'm surprised they have not shut that one down. Despite it actually sounding like a good concept, there have only been a about 50 nationwide with over half in Florida and its been that way for 20 years (almost the entire life of the concept) . I dont think they ever came into Texas btw.
Big12Bear
I went to a Bahama Breeze years ago off Preston Rd in Frisco. I went during happy hour. Drinks and atmosphere were good. The food? Not so much.

Actually headed to one of their other concepts, Yardhouse, in a bit.

Re: Chuy's. Probably my most hated salsa on the planet. Cannot stand the watered down garbage. Fun for happy hour. The food is terrible.
trey3216
BylrFan said:

I've rarely enjoyed Chuy's. The only thing I actually like from there is the Hatch Chili sauce on the Chicken enchiladas.

Everything else there is completely mediocre to meh. Their salsa is watery pico. I refuse to eat cilantro ranch 'sauce' with chips.

If you go to a 'mexican food' place to eat ranch sauce.....you probably go to Uncle Dan's because they have a mean white potato salad.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
trey3216
Big12Bear said:

I went to a Bahama Breeze years ago off Preston Rd in Frisco. I went during happy hour. Drinks and atmosphere were good. The food? Not so much.

Re: Chuy's. Probably my most hated salsa on the planet. Cannot stand the watered down garbage. Fun for happy hour. The food is terrible.
Yardhouse isn't awful. Been to one in Indy and one in Pittsburgh.
Redbrickbear
PartyBear said:

They have been the longtime owner of Olive Garden and Red Lobster as well. There is probably about to be a Chuy's in every mid sized city in the US and probably several in every major city.

A Chuy's in every mid-market...America is healing
Redbrickbear
trey3216 said:

BylrFan said:

I've rarely enjoyed Chuy's. The only thing I actually like from there is the Hatch Chili sauce on the Chicken enchiladas.

Move out of Texas and you will be begging for it
trey3216
Redbrickbear said:

trey3216 said:

BylrFan said:

Been there, done that.
Yogi
Darden jettisoned Red Lobster long ago, but they ran it well.

I just haven't frequented Chuy's as much since they shrank the menu and got rid of Elvis's Chicken.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
BaylorHistory
Redbrickbear said:

trey3216 said:

BylrFan said:

Only if you move to Vermont or the 1990s.
BearlyNose
If they do to Chuy's what they did to Cheddar's (which was to raise prices, reduce portions sizes and the number of sides per meal), then it will be time to find a replacement for Chuy's in your restaurant pecking order.
Redbrickbear
BaylorHistory said:

Redbrickbear said:

trey3216 said:

BylrFan said:

Only if you move to Vermont or the 1990s.

Yikes....that must have been rough...deviled eggs are spicy to those people.
Yogi
i just remember my cousin taking me to a Tex-Mex style restaurant in Richmond, VA in 1986. I don't know why when he knows that I live in Texas. It was okay, but nothing like they have here - and extremely bland.

I imagine most of the nation has caught up to Texas on Authentic Mexican food as more and more of the Mexican population have immigrated into the American heartland.
trey3216
BearlyNose said:

If they do to Chuy's what they did to Cheddar's (which was to raise prices, reduce portions sizes and the number of sides per meal), then it will be time to find a replacement for Chuy's in your restaurant pecking order.
Chuy's was never in my restaurant pecking order to begin with
Blackjack Bear
Went to a Mexican restaurant once in Jackson Hole Wyoming.. Many Many years ago. Locals raved about it, and it was the most bland Mexican food I have ever eaten. Those people didn't have a clue.
PartyBear
Redbrickbear said:

trey3216 said:

BylrFan said:

As I said. Soon there will be a Chuy's fairly close to you where ever you are unless you are in some very rural area of a fairly geographically large state.

BTW I think Chuy's in its current original form is great. I hope Darden doesnt change things too much. I know the Chuy's founders are making big $$$ by selling out to Darden. But I hope Darden doesnt just ruin what it originally has been when just in Austin for a long time and in early branch out places like Waco.
Eleven-League Grant
Quote:

BTW I think Chuy's in its current original form is great. I hope Darden doesnt change things too much.
I suspect Darden's first move will be to increase menu prices.

Chuy's has done a decent job of keeping their food prices in line despite all the recent major increase in costs. It seems that was Darden's strategy when they bought Cheddars, too.
Redbrickbear
PartyBear said:

Redbrickbear said:

trey3216 said:

BylrFan said:

As I said. Soon there will be a Chuy's fairly close to you where ever you are unless you are in some very rural area of a fairly geographically large state.

BTW I think Chuy's in its current original form is great. I hope Darden doesnt change things too much. I know the Chuy's founders are making big $$$ by selling out to Darden. But I hope Darden doesnt just ruin what it originally has been when just in Austin for a long time and in early branch out places like Waco.

What do you think they are getting in terms of a sales price?
Yogi
trey3216 said:

BearlyNose said:

I lived in Austin when they had only one or two restaurants and they were both located in the Austin area.

The quality has fallen substantially since then.

Also, if you love the jalapeno ranch sauce like I do, the recipe is quite easy, and I have learned to make a thicker version that is better than what you can get from the restaurant anyway.
trey3216
Yogi said:

trey3216 said:

BearlyNose said:

I lived in Austin when they had only one or two restaurants and they were both located in the Austin area.

The quality has fallen substantially since then.

Also, if you love the jalapeno ranch sauce like I do, the recipe is quite easy, and I have learned to make a thicker version that is better than what you can get from the restaurant anyway.
I'm not a huge fan of their jalapeno ranch sauce. It's not bad on a salad or sammich, but I'm not eating it with chips. That's just me.

Plus, I like George's Cilantro Sauce better, and know how to make that from scratch. Not difficult.
Edmond Bear
Yogi said:

Darden jettisoned Red Lobster long ago, but they ran it well.

I just haven't frequented Chuy's as much since they shrank the menu and got rid of Elvis's Chicken.

Elvis Fried Chicken with the Lay's potato chip crust and green sauce was my Chuy's favorite. Haven't been back since they dropped it.
Big12Bear
trey3216 said:

Big12Bear said:

Yardhouse isn't awful. Been to one in Indy and one in Pittsburgh.
Yep, solid spot.
T-REX
Redbrickbear said:

trey3216 said:

BylrFan said:

lived outside Texas for 6 years. Had Chuys once and was unimpressed. Haven't had it in 6 years since. Not good food and there's one not far from my house

One of the best Mexican spots I have ever been to is mi ranchito in overland Park, KS. My god that place is amazing
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
PartyBear
Redbrickbear said:

PartyBear said:

Redbrickbear said:

trey3216 said:

BylrFan said:

What do you think they are getting in terms of a sales price?

I read this morning $605 million.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.