BSR Surf Park

4,823 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BealBear
Joe Waco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just saw that the Rip Curl GromSearch Surfing Championship is being held in Waco on October 26th.

Not sure whether or not it will be open to the public to watch, but would be cool for those that may be interested in watching a surfing competition. I'm planning on checking out the qualifiers in Florida in August.

Rip Curl GromSearch Series Info
Pam Manhart
I saw on the news they recently installed a new state-of-the-art water filtration system. Some nasty water born bug discovered nearby. Probably a good thing. You wouldn't want the publicity of an illness associated with the surfing competition.
Old300Bear
I heard it either has been or is in the process of being sold. Have no verification on that.
Fred Barber
Joe Waco
Pam Manhart said:

I saw on the news they recently installed a new state-of-the-art water filtration system. Some nasty water born bug discovered nearby. Probably a good thing. You wouldn't want the publicity of an illness associated with the surfing competition.

Surfer died last year from amoeba shortly after surfing at bsr. They pretty much had to install a better water cleaning system after that if they still wanted people to come.
BaylorGuy314
That water-bourne amoeba they found there last year is extremely rare but is not completely unheard of. There have been 30+ cases (I think) in Texas over the last 50 years - one of the highest case counts in the nation - and almost every case in Texas was in a different body of water than the case before it.

It is horrible that someone likely got it at BSR and died but it really had nothing to do with the quality of the water or the park.

I have no reason to pump up BSR whatsoever - I just think that was a hack media job where they made it sound like it was BSR's fault. It was a horrible tragedy that could've happened almost anywhere in Texas.

I'm glad BSR did something about the water filtration though as it certainly doesn't hurt to be proactive instead of reactive.

Gold Tron
BaylorGuy314 said:

That water-bourne amoeba they found there last year is extremely rare but is not completely unheard of. There have been 30+ cases (I think) in Texas over the last 50 years - one of the highest case counts in the nation - and almost every case in Texas was in a different body of water than the case before it.

It is horrible that someone likely got it at BSR and died but it really had nothing to do with the quality of the water or the park.

I have no reason to pump up BSR whatsoever - I just think that was a hack media job where they made it sound like it was BSR's fault. It was a horrible tragedy that could've happened almost anywhere in Texas.

I'm glad BSR did something about the water filtration though as it certainly doesn't hurt to be proactive instead of reactive.

Naegleria Fowleri?
Volunteer
Gold Tron said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

Naegleria Fowleri?
There's no room on this forum for that kind of language.
BaylorGuy314
Gold Tron said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

Naegleria Fowleri?
Yes
trey3216
Old300Bear said:

I heard it either has been or is in the process of being sold. Have no verification on that.
It has been sold. I believe $27mm was the price.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
trey3216 said:

Old300Bear said:

Not a bad price if it keeps getting the pub from Red Bull.
trey3216
Brian Ethridge said:

trey3216 said:

Old300Bear said:

Yep. Good deal for both parties.
whitetrash
And his house burned down yesterday.

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/fire/fire-destroys-axtell-area-home-of-bsr-cable-park-owner/article_e1d5e8f4-db4b-52bd-8f0c-ffba8f61a5d5.html?fbclid=IwAR3L91-PfmdgAINN7geZAmC4-z0WD3QiGB5bGfe-OhMRKXYfe7kz9iPHuP0

Quote:

Fire destroys Axtell-area home of BSR Cable Park owner

State and local fire investigators are investigating the cause of a Monday afternoon fire that destroyed the home of local businessman Stuart Parsons.
Parsons, owner of BSR Cable Park and Parsons Roofing, declined comment Tuesday morning, saying only by text message that, "Man, I'm lost today."

McLennan County Sheriff's Chief Deputy David Kilcrease said no one was at the home at 597 Beaver Lake Road in the Axtell area when the fire started about 5 p.m. Monday.
Lt. Adrian Huff of the Lacy Lakeview Volunteer Fire Department reported the home was fully engulfed in flames when his department arrived and said the residence was destroyed.

"Being out in the country and being that there was nobody home, it got a pretty good head start on us," Huff said. "I think a sheriff's deputy spotted it and called it in and Leroy (Volunteer Fire Department) was the first to get paged to it, and when they were arriving, they started calling for additional resources as well."
Fire departments from West, Bellmead and Elk also responded, Huff said. No injuries were reported.
A Parsons employee told fire investigators that a security camera on a structure that was not affected by the fire might provide clues about where the fire started in the home, Huff said.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
whitetrash said:

And his house burned down yesterday.

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/fire/fire-destroys-axtell-area-home-of-bsr-cable-park-owner/article_e1d5e8f4-db4b-52bd-8f0c-ffba8f61a5d5.html?fbclid=IwAR3L91-PfmdgAINN7geZAmC4-z0WD3QiGB5bGfe-OhMRKXYfe7kz9iPHuP0

Quote:

Fire destroys Axtell-area home of BSR Cable Park owner

State and local fire investigators are investigating the cause of a Monday afternoon fire that destroyed the home of local businessman Stuart Parsons.
Parsons, owner of BSR Cable Park and Parsons Roofing, declined comment Tuesday morning, saying only by text message that, "Man, I'm lost today."

McLennan County Sheriff's Chief Deputy David Kilcrease said no one was at the home at 597 Beaver Lake Road in the Axtell area when the fire started about 5 p.m. Monday.
Lt. Adrian Huff of the Lacy Lakeview Volunteer Fire Department reported the home was fully engulfed in flames when his department arrived and said the residence was destroyed.

"Being out in the country and being that there was nobody home, it got a pretty good head start on us," Huff said. "I think a sheriff's deputy spotted it and called it in and Leroy (Volunteer Fire Department) was the first to get paged to it, and when they were arriving, they started calling for additional resources as well."
Fire departments from West, Bellmead and Elk also responded, Huff said. No injuries were reported.
A Parsons employee told fire investigators that a security camera on a structure that was not affected by the fire might provide clues about where the fire started in the home, Huff said.

That's awful
WacoKelly83
Seeing that reminded me of his grandpa and Texas Safari in Clifton. No stranger to fire..or controversy. I miss that place. When I was a teenager I must have ridden through that wildlife park a dozen times.

Ex-wildlife park owner guilty in insurance scam
WACO -- The owner of a now-defunct Central Texas wildlife park who was convicted of arson may also owe the federal government more than $1 million in insurance money he collected after setting the fires, an Austin jury has ruled.

That decision came a day after A.C. Parsons was convicted on two counts of arson, four counts of mail fraud and four counts of money laundering in connection with fires beginning in 1992 at Texas Safari in Clifton. The park closed in 1996.

Travis County jurors decided on Friday that the U.S. government could seek to recoup the $1.3 million in insurance funds that Parsons, 66, was paid after three fires burned a hotel and a meeting area between 1992 and 1995.

Parsons faces up to 20 years on each of the arson charges but remains free on bond, pending his sentencing.
boxster
trey3216 said:

Old300Bear said:

That sounds good. Cool attraction for Waco, no longer connected with what every indication is a bad dude.

What he wants people to know about Baylor football: I want people to see that Baylor is the class of college football. Record GPAs, 26 different majors, guys challenging themselves to be the best they can be. Guys working in the community and guys working to be the best they can be in football. Want people to know Baylor is a great place as a University. -Coach Matt Rhule
whitetrash
WacoKelly83 said:

Seeing that reminded me of his grandpa and Texas Safari in Clifton. No stranger to fire..or controversy. I miss that place. When I was a teenager I must have ridden through that wildlife park a dozen times.

WACO -- The owner of a now-defunct Central Texas wildlife park who was convicted of arson may also owe the federal government more than $1 million in insurance money he collected after setting the fires, an Austin jury has ruled.

That decision came a day after A.C. Parsons was convicted on two counts of arson, four counts of mail fraud and four counts of money laundering in connection with fires beginning in 1992 at Texas Safari in Clifton. The park closed in 1996.

Travis County jurors decided on Friday that the U.S. government could seek to recoup the $1.3 million in insurance funds that Parsons, 66, was paid after three fires burned a hotel and a meeting area between 1992 and 1995.

Parsons faces up to 20 years on each of the arson charges but remains free on bond, pending his sentencing.

I had forgotten that, and that it was the same family. Although when I saw the story this afternoon I went "hmmmm" after the bacteria case out there and the rumor of a sale.
sipembeers
https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Woman-accused-of-a-512204611.html
https://www.kxxv.com/hometown/mclennan-county/sheriffs-office-responds-to-possible-drowning-at-bsr-cable-park

Not a good Fourth of July for the ole cable park.
bularry
WacoKelly83 said:

insurance scams and roofing pretty much go hand in hand
bularry
BaylorGuy314 said:

I'm assuming BSR is a man made space, seeing as they have waves large enough for surfing competitions.

Were any of the other bodies of water in your example man made? Do you think that makes a difference in terms of how things were "blamed"?
whitetrash
sipembeers said:

https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Woman-accused-of-a-512204611.html
https://www.kxxv.com/hometown/mclennan-county/sheriffs-office-responds-to-possible-drowning-at-bsr-cable-park

Not a good Fourth of July for the ole cable park.

Update says guy survived but is on life support.
UBBY
They need lifeguards. I heard they have some now for the surf pool but they need others around the park.
It's an unnecessary risk they're taking.
LIB,MR BEARS
It could be a great family place but they want to appeal to young partiers
OsoCoreyell
Too much druggie, red-neck ho'in, partier ******bags to be any good.
Joe Waco
If it is being sold I hope it doesn't go the way of Kelly Slater's surf ranch and become a private wave pool. I know wsl bought nland surf park in Austin but I'm not sure of their plans for it.
FirmBear24
trey3216 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

trey3216 said:

Old300Bear said:

You sure Parsons sold it? All the recent articles say he is the owner.
trey3216
FirmBear24 said:

trey3216 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

trey3216 said:

Old300Bear said:

You sure Parsons sold it? All the recent articles say he is the owner.

I don't think it has closed yet, but yes he's selling it.
BealBear
We go to BSR several times a year and allways have a good time, glad it is being sold, was never a fan of Parsons.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.