Good Article on Twin Rivers, I mean Bear Ridge

5,296 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 1outawayBear
boxster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Redbrickbear
I hope it is successful.
MrGolfguy
This is good news but i'm cautiously optimistic; the previous owners gave up and the course is as bad as anyone could imagine.
BBear77
MrGolfguy said:

This is good news but i'm cautiously optimistic; the previous owners gave up and the course is as bad as anyone could imagine.

And then some.

Tommy has a great passion for the game and the course. If anyone can bring it back, it is him
boxster
That's going to take some serious coin to get the course back in shape. Hope his pockets are deep enough.
CTbruin
boxster said:

That's going to take some serious coin to get the course back in shape. Hope his pockets are deep enough.

Good question

It will take much capital. I hope he has partners with deep pockets
Volunteer
Tommy will do it right. The only question is if he can come up with the necessary money to get the job done. And has been mentioned, it will take lots and lots of money. I don't think it's a complete rebuild, but it ain't far off of that. One thing for sure, Tommy cares, and I'm not convinced the previous owner gave a damn.
Lund Vernquist
How many different owners does this make in the course history? Seven, eight or more?
MrGolfguy
i think 4
toughbear
a walk up golf course will never work, unless subsidized by the City of Waco - you got to have at least 400 monthly paying members in a privately owned course
WILLIS
With other local courses closing in last decade and a heckuva population increase, probably enough to make it viable? There is almost 0 competition besides cottonwood/ridgewood for a tweener type course like Bear Ridge. I like the model Grey Rock in Austin has. It's a great course. Semi-private club and city relationship. Seems like it would do well there to partner with City of Waco.
ImwithBU
They are have starting redoing the sidewalks on the course. Saw a lot worker smoothing out the concrete this morning. I dont play golf but man you can see the weeds on that course from 84. Going to take a lot of work to fix...
CTbruin
Cart paths. Not sidewalks
ButterflyFX
New Bear Ridge owner unveils plans, adds new members

By ART STRICKLIN Special to the Tribune-Herald Dec 19, 2019

Just over a month after purchasing the former Twin Rivers Golf Course and changing it to its original name of Bear Ridge, Waco businessman Tommy Tompkins unveiled his ambitious plan to provide improvements to the course.

Tompkins said he was heartened and astounded by the response on a Monday night meeting at the course clubhouse. He estimated that more than 350 people attended.

"I never thought I would buy this golf course and I sure never thought there would be this many people to hear about it," Tompkins said. "I want to make this the best course between Dallas and Austin. Better than anybody can drive to in the area, and good enough to join or play while they're here. I have played them all and I know what can happen here."

Those who saw the course at the beginning when it opened in late 2001 know the potential of the par-72 layout designed by PGA Tour pro Peter Jacobson and Houston's Jim Hardy. It's routed along the ridges atop the Middle and South Bosque rivers on hilly terrain more often found in the Hill Country than in Central Texas. Several stone-filled streams cut between century-old oak trees and skirt the edges of some of the back holes, several of which feature elevation changes of up to 50 feet.

But Tompkins, 73, is now the fourth owner at Bear Ridge, and members said that the course conditions had slumped dramatically over the last several years. A City of Waco survey, when it was considering buying the course, estimated a multi-million dollar cost to restore it to its original condition.

"The course is open now, but we will continue to work on it through the spring and summer to get it right," Tompkins said. "We will try to keep at least nine holes open at all times, but continue to work on the facility. I'm committed to replacing every green if that is what it takes out here."

Tompkins has also reached out to Waco architect Chet Williams, who built the Baylor golf practice facility and was the architect of the No. 1-ranked course in Texas, Whispering Pines in Trinity. Tompkins has also contacted former United States Golf Association greens section superintendent Jim Moore about ways to revive the course conditions.

"I don't need any help with business and sales and marketing, I've been in business since I was 14 years old, but Chet and Jim are the best in the (golf) industry and they can help me get the course going again." Tompkins said.

Williams spent more than an hour touring Bear Ridge last week with Tompkins pointing out ways the course could be healed and brought back to its original conditions, along with helping him estimate possible costs.

"I showed him some things I think he could do to make it better," Williams said. "I want it to be good again, because that just helps golf in the area."

To fund his renovation plan, Tompkins plans to sell a combination of memberships and offer public play, along with a full-service restaurant which will be open to anyone in the area.

He unveiled a glossy two-page handout at the recent meeting with annual memberships ranging from $2,800 for families to $480 for the driving range only. The course plans daily rates of approximately $45 for golf and a cart.

Tompkins set a goal of adding 150 members by the end of the year and 300 by March 1, and said he was rapidly closing on his goal. He said that 65 new members registered at the Monday meeting alone.

"That shows you there is a real hunger for more good golf in area and that's what I am committed to provide," he said. "I think we had one member when I bought this place, maybe two, and that may have been optimistic. We have to continue to build this course back."

He has also met with the marketing arm of Waco's hugely successful Magnolia empire about the possibility of future partnerships between the two groups.

Tompkins said his desire and enthusiasm for making Bear Ridge a success stems from a challenge he was issued more than two decades ago when he was opening his Tee's Golf Shop in Waco.

"In 1995, I asked every golf pro in town if Waco could support another golf course and every one of them said it could not," Tompkins said. "Every one of them gave me exactly the same reason, that Waco was not big enough. We are now over 100,000 in population and we have more people coming here every day. We have enough people for another good course and that's what we're going to do here."

Bear Ridge sits on 250 prime McLennan County acres surrounded by hundreds of middle to upper-income houses in the growing Villages of Twin River housing development. Its planned rebirth has perked up the interest of many a Waco-area golfer, including one who has been the loudest on a need for a revived course.

"I feel like I've gone from Chief Angry Resident to Chief Cheerleader," said Baylor vice provost Wes Null, a longtime Twin Rivers resident who wants a revived course for his junior golf-playing son and others locally to play and practice on. "We certainly aren't there yet, but this is a step in the right direction."
#45 Bryson Jackson, LB, 6'2" 211 lbs
2020 Graduate, Mansfield, TX
GP -:13, Tackles - 7 (3 solo)
boxster
Wow, great article. Impressed by who Tompkins is turning to help him renovate the course correctly. And I was also impressed by the following:

He has also met with the marketing arm of Waco's hugely successful Magnolia empire about the possibility of future partnerships between the two groups.

With 20,000 tourists/week (or whatever the number is), there has to be enough golfers mixed in, or being drug along with their spouses, to produce a hundred green fees per week, right?
Chipoople
Waco can absolutely support Bear Ridge. In the past, Waco supported a bunch of golf courses -- Twin Rivers/Bear Ridge, Cottonwood, Ridgewood, Connally, Battle Lake, Lake Waco CC, Western/Rolling Oaks, Bogey's Par 3.

It would be a perfect alternative for folks who can't quite afford Ridgewood but can shell out $2800 a year for golf. And the plot of land Bear Ridge is on is really great. It could use a little rerouting, but the layout is solid. That way uphill par 3 right along the road is pretty dumb.
MrGolfguy
Chipoople said:

Waco can absolutely support Bear Ridge. In the past, Waco supported a bunch of golf courses -- Twin Rivers/Bear Ridge, Cottonwood, Ridgewood, Connally, Battle Lake, Lake Waco CC, Western/Rolling Oaks, Bogey's Par 3.
Actually, sadly, it really couldn't. That's why Connally, Western Oaks, Bogey's, and Greenbriar in Moody all closed up. And why Lake Waco and Bear Ridge were in terrible shape because the owners quit maintaining them. Only Ridgewood (private) and Cottonwood (public) really flouished the past 15-20 years.
BaylorHistory
I miss Bogey's. What was the name of that Par 3 course out in Speegleville? It wasn't even in good enough shape to be considered in terrible shape, but it was where I first played.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
WILLIS
How's bear ridge looking this summer? Hopefully getting some good business during covid
MrGolfguy
BaylorHistory said:

What was the name of that Par 3 course out in Speegleville? It wasn't even in good enough shape to be considered in terrible shape, but it was where I first played.
Seago's
MrGolfguy
WILLIS said:

How's bear ridge looking this summer? Hopefully getting some good business during covid
Have been meaning to drive out there to check it out but haven't. Good news is that the Waco area has gotten a lot of rain this year (wettest 1st 4 months on record i believe) which really helps with growing in the grass which is what it desperately needed. Also, just got 2 & 1/2 inches of rain the past couple days which helps because it was starting to get dry around the area. I think Bear Ridge should be looking pretty green and on its way back to being a really nice course.
CTbruin
I drive by a couple of times a day as I live close by.

IMO, Tommy is doing a very good job putting the golf course back on the map. He re planted the greens and they are close to being ready to play. The general condition of the course looks very good. It's green, mowed, edged, etc. Looks like a golf course again instead of a goat pasture.

I look forward to playing again when the new greens are open.
baylrballa
from 84 it is looking great, shocking how quick the fairways have started looking like fairways again. And the greens are coming in nice as stated.
WILLIS
baylrballa said:

from 84 it is looking great, shocking how quick the fairways have started looking like fairways again. And the greens are coming in nice as stated.

Amazing what water can do.
1outawayBear
I just moved into TR so I got the updates in the stupid neighborhood magazine they send out

said that they are expecting it to be back to full go with repaired greens etc in September.
1outawayBear
CTbruin said:

I drive by a couple of times a day as I live close by.

IMO, Tommy is doing a very good job putting the golf course back on the map. He re planted the greens and they are close to being ready to play. The general condition of the course looks very good. It's green, mowed, edged, etc. Looks like a golf course again instead of a goat pasture.

I look forward to playing again when the new greens are open.
Yea its looking good right now for sure.

He has his son managing the grill and food is pretty good. my wife loves alot of their meals as they deliver to anyone who lives here so she gets it alot as stay at home mom
BaylorHistory
From the Trib this morning

Bear Ridge update
New Bear Ridge owner Tommy Tompkins continues to make impressive progress in his goal to fully reopen the renovated semi-public layout later this summer. All the sand in the bunkers has been replaced and new greens for all 18 holes should be ready to play in the next several weeks.

The large practice range is fully lighted for nighttime action to beat the heat and a new head pro will be at the par-72 course soon. The grill is fully open and operational and Tompkins is looking to open a modern two-bedroom cottage upstairs over the clubhouse in the next month for stay and play packages.

"We are not finished yet by a long shot, but we're getting closer every day to where we want to be," Tompkins said.

The groundskeeping staff, led by Andrew Moore, also picked up a new honor lately. Jimmy Squire, a recent hire, won the second annual Texas amputee golf tournament.

"It was a nice honor. I'm glad to be out here and helping out," Squire said
WILLIS
BaylorHistory said:

Bear Ridge update
New Bear Ridge owner Tommy Tompkins continues to make impressive progress in his goal to fully reopen the renovated semi-public layout later this summer. All the sand in the bunkers has been replaced and new greens for all 18 holes should be ready to play in the next several weeks.

The large practice range is fully lighted for nighttime action to beat the heat and a new head pro will be at the par-72 course soon. The grill is fully open and operational and Tompkins is looking to open a modern two-bedroom cottage upstairs over the clubhouse in the next month for stay and play packages.

"We are not finished yet by a long shot, but we're getting closer every day to where we want to be," Tompkins said.

The groundskeeping staff, led by Andrew Moore, also picked up a new honor lately. Jimmy Squire, a recent hire, won the second annual Texas amputee golf tournament.

Someone from the trib is on here reading!
BaylorHistory
WILLIS said:

BaylorHistory said:

Bear Ridge update

Someone from the trib is on here reading!
Yeah, I was like "hey thanks!"
TechDawgMc
I'm really happy to hear all this and look forward to playing the course again. It's one of my favorite course designs in the area, but the condition just got too bad to want to play it. Not really close enough to be a member, but would love to be able to play it regularly again.
1outawayBear
1outawayBear
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.