Waco Restaurants - Best Hole in the Wall Tex-Mex

6,039 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BUwolverine2012
Edmond Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What's your favorite and what's their best dish?

BaylorGuy314
taqueria #9 is my fav hole in the wall probably. i really like their beef fajita meat and queso (white or yellow).
Brian Ethridge
Staff
The paradilla at El Charro on 18th and Waco Drive is pretty, pretty good.
Stranger
Brian Ethridge said:

Likewise
I'm a Bearbacker
trey3216
Brian Ethridge said:

Bingo. Their salsa is mighty tasty as well.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
BUwolverine2012
Taqueria El Crucero is the only answer. The owner (Jesus) and his family are wonderful people.
Be present in all things and thankful for all things.
trey3216
BUwolverine2012 said:

Taqueria El Crucero is the only answer. The owner (Jesus) and his family are wonderful people.

Also a correct answer
forza orsi
Rufi's Cocina at 25th & Lasker. Michoacan style. It's a tiny family run place with lots of stuff not on the menu other places. Don't go there expecting El Con. I probably like the aporreado de res best, but don't wear your white dress shirt to eat it. The homemade corn tortillas are amazing!
Ursus
forza orsi said:

Rufi's Cocina at 25th & Lasker. Michoacan style. It's a tiny family run place with lots of stuff not on the menu other places. Don't go there expecting El Con. I probably like the aporreado de res best, but don't wear your white dress shirt to eat it. The homemade corn tortillas are amazing!

I like Rufi's too. My favorite is the guisado de puerco (with the green sauce). Agree on their homemade corn tortillas.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Ursus said:

forza orsi said:

I like Rufi's too. My favorite is the guisado de puerco (with the green sauce). Agree on their homemade corn tortillas.
I have a place up here in Irving, Dona Lencha, with a great guisada de puerco en verde or rojo. I usually end up buying both.

Their 30+ different tacos are also great.

forza orsi
Ursus said:

forza orsi said:

The guisada de puerco (yes, green sauce) is a close second for me. You can't go wrong with either.
Weston Rogers
Underrated spot in Waco is El Ranchito... Wife loves Nopales so we go there once a month or so for her to get her fix.
Edmond Bear

We usually sneak off to El Ranchito #5 on Waco drive during Homecoming when all of the "main" restaurants are crammed. I'll have to add some of these others to the list.
Lawbear
Edmond Bear said:

We usually sneak off to El Ranchito #5 on Waco drive during Homecoming when all of the "main" restaurants are crammed. I'll have to add some of these others to the list.

We have hit this place up a BUNCH since COVID when down in Waco. Didn't know it existed before. Looking forward to trying a couple of more in this list.
BaylorHistory
Valles on Valley Mills Dr, barbacoa mini tacos with green sauce they keep in the back that you have to ask for.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Bearicade
BaylorHistory said:

Valles on Valley Mills Dr, barbacoa mini tacos with green sauce they keep in the back that you have to ask for.
I was just coming here to ask if anyone had opinions on Valles. Always seems busy when I drive past on VM drive.
I know you believe you understand what I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
forza orsi
Bearicade said:

BaylorHistory said:

I was just coming here to ask if anyone had opinions on Valles. Always seems busy when I drive past on VM drive.
It's always crowded for lunch, but not at all crowded for dinner.
Bearicade
forza orsi said:

Bearicade said:

BaylorHistory said:

well, that doesn't help me, lol. How is it?
forza orsi
Bearicade said:

forza orsi said:

Bearicade said:

BaylorHistory said:

well, that doesn't help me, lol. How is it?
It's decent Tex-Mex. I think most of its appeal is the price. Their lunch specials are really cheap. A lot of their dishes are almost the same as Taqueria #9, but mostly cheaper. The lunch time wait staff is always the same and knows everyone. The evening wait staff seems to be different every time and to not know much.
Old300Bear
Likes and dislikes when it comes to Mexican food are very individual. That said, we really like Mi Casita on Hewitt Drive.
Fred Barber
william
el ****ing chico.

</thread>

- Bill Phennett
>>Carve away the stone (Sisyhpus)
Carve away the stone
Make a graven image
With some features of your own<<
Brian Ethridge
Staff
william said:

el ****ing chico.

- Bill Phennett
La ****ing Fiesta

- Brill Badley
CTbruin
I ate at La Fiesta thanks to this thread. It wasn't that good. Not a do over.
CorsicanaBear
This is a hole-in-the-wall thread so this is off topic but, why can't we have an El Tiempo or Mi Cocina type restaurant in Waco? I thought/hoped Hecho En Waco would be that place, but the only part we got was the $14 margaritas. We've finally got some quality Italian food here with Morososo and Di Campli's, maybe there is hope.
Illigitimus non carborundum
trey3216
CorsicanaBear said:

This is a hole-in-the-wall thread so this is off topic but, why can't we have an El Tiempo or Mi Cocina type restaurant in Waco? I thought/hoped Hecho En Waco would be that place, but the only part we got was the $14 margaritas. We've finally got some quality Italian food here with Morososo and Di Campli's, maybe there is hope.

Because Waco is finicky and cheap on the whole, and scoff at paying $$ for better Mexican food. That, and there is a bit of a dearth in quality service workers rt now.

I do know about one project in the works that I will elaborate on a little further down the road that will for the bill to some extent. It's just too early in the process to put it out there.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
CorsicanaBear said:

I really don't see El Tiempo and Mi Cocina in the same ballpark. El Tiempo provides food for the dollars Mi Cocina just charges more. Gloria's, which I think is part of the same family as Mi Cocina, is similar, but also better than Mi Cocina. I have friends that love the place, but I'm not a fan and we lived by one for 10 years and I think I had lunch or dinner there less than 5 times after thinking I'd give it a try again.

Mi Dia and El Tiempo are two I'd say are comparable for quantity, specialty, and taste.

Waco has their favorites and still has a ways to go to meet up with the bigger cities 100-120 miles away. It has some good/great local places, but competition drives improvement and the market, and Waco has less of it.

CorsicanaBear
Quote:

That, and there is a bit of a dearth in quality service workers rt now.
In my experience it has been ever thus. Even at places like Diamond Backs and 135 Prime service can be spotty.
CorsicanaBear
The restaurant names I used were merely meant as exemplars of a type. Your mileage may vary.

A Pappacitos would also be acceptable.
CTbruin
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

In my experience it has been ever thus. Even at places like Diamond Backs and 135 Prime service can be spotty.

Disagree re 135. Service had been outstanding for me and mine.
forza orsi
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

Diamondbacks yes. I've never had a bad service experience at 135.
CorsicanaBear
135 Prime is usually very good (we usually prefer it to Diamondbacks although we go to both and go more to Diamondbacks now that we live closer to downtown), but occasionally....
Bearicade
Any opinions on Los Cucos?
trey3216
Bearicade said:

Any opinions on Los Cucos?

I like it
Ludwig von Missi
trey3216 said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Because Waco is finicky and cheap on the whole, and scoff at paying $$ for better Mexican food. That, and there is a bit of a dearth in quality service workers rt now.

I do know about one project in the works that I will elaborate on a little further down the road that will for the bill to some extent. It's just too early in the process to put it out there.
Edmond Bear
Crash Davis said:

trey3216 said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.