RIP in peace Riverbend Shopping Center...

2,392 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bexar Pitts
Grimm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just noticed it was rubble on my way home today... I passed by there Thursday and Saturday and didn't notice anything. Maybe HEB is getting ready to fire things up?
PartyBear
It is HEB as per the paper. There have been discussions/rumors for 20 years that an HEB was going to be built on that site.
Grinnin bear
China Springers are gonna eat that place up.
WacoKelly83
It looks like they are just clearing the property right now. Construction, if any, may be a ways out.
Sampi82
I formally worked for a large full service sign company that manufactured and installed all H-E-B exterior signs and I was working there when H-E-B was reportedly getting serious about building at that site. I recall one of the holdups being that area is a floodplain and the amount of additional work that would be required by H-E-B being cost prohibitive to them at the time.

I also formally lived in China Spring and shopping at the nearby ghetto H-E-B wasn't the best. I usually grocery shopped elsewhere. That site should do well with continued China Spring growth and with all the residential areas along Lake Shore Drive.
“We have two lives, and the second begins when we realize we only have one.”
Ashley Hodge
Staff
is it in the NE quadrant here?
Sampi82
Ashley Hodge said:

is it in the NE quadrant here?

Yes.
BaylorHistory
RIP best Gattis.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Weston Rogers
HEB owns the strip center and about 10-20 acres around it; however they're not building anytime soon.
Bexar Pitts
Weston Rogers said:

HEB owns the strip center and about 10-20 acres around it; however they're not building anytime soon.
MCAD shows 25 acres ...in AG use...cropland I would think...They may be playing defense..kind of a "capture/kill" on the property...Market is China Spring area..it's growing rapidly..That area out 19th to Bosqueville has never really developed because of flood plain issues.. it sits directly below the Lake Waco Dam..Other side of Lake Shore must not be in flood plain, as it has seen fairly substantial investment property built over the years..Case of risk/reward...When you see HEB buy acreage in China Spring, you'll know the demos fit their building model..Perhaps they're watching for competitive investment before they move?
Weston Rogers
Bexar Pitts said:

Weston Rogers said:

MCAD shows 25 acres ...in AG use...cropland I would think...They may be playing defense..kind of a "capture/kill" on the property...Market is China Spring area..it's growing rapidly..That area out 19th to Bosqueville has never really developed because of flood plain issues.. it sits directly below the Lake Waco Dam..Other side of Lake Shore must not be in flood plain, as it has seen fairly substantial investment property built over the years..Case of risk/reward...When you see HEB buy acreage in China Spring, you'll know the demos fit their building model..Perhaps they're watching for competitive investment before they move?
This is HEB's game, they buy land and hold it with zero intentions to ever build on some of it. It forces competition to move along, in this case that means the likes of Brookshire's or Brookshire Brothers will never make the investment in CS area due to the threat of an HEB. No other large grocery chain will touch Waco or most area's where HEB is already the dominant brand.
Bexar Pitts
Weston Rogers said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Weston Rogers said:

This is HEB's game, they buy land and hold it with zero intentions to ever build on some of it. It forces competition to move along, in this case that means the likes of Brookshire's or Brookshire Brothers will never make the investment in CS area due to the threat of an HEB. No other large grocery chain will touch Waco or most area's where HEB is already the dominant brand.

Roger that. Kroger and HEB have been in somewhat of a "standoff" for years in Central/North Texas. I think HEB has ,however, made some investments in Metroplex in recent years.
Osobuzzed
Yes they own a whole mess of land across DFW. The Central Market team is HQd in Dallas and if there is a site in DFW proper, it will usually become a CM before HEB....They are creeping closer and closer though.
trey3216
Sampi82 said:

I formally worked for a large full service sign company that manufactured and installed all H-E-B exterior signs and I was working there when H-E-B was reportedly getting serious about building at that site. I recall one of the holdups being that area is a floodplain and the amount of additional work that would be required by H-E-B being cost prohibitive to them at the time.

I also formally lived in China Spring and shopping at the nearby ghetto H-E-B wasn't the best. I usually grocery shopped elsewhere. That site should do well with continued China Spring growth and with all the residential areas along Lake Shore Drive.
You were formerly so formal.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Sampi82
trey3216 said:

Sampi82 said:

You were formerly so formal.

Was formally then but not any more.
sipembeers
Grinnin bear said:

China Springers are gonna eat that place up.

If they build new... yes we will.
PartyBear
They must have already owned that property for 20 years or so. I had heard they owned it since around 2000 with intentions of the the store. Sounds like confirmation now that they do at least now currently own it (it could be coincidence that rumors existed over the years that they have owned that particular spot maybe they have owned it for a couple of decades now) but still no immediate plans for an HEB as per this board. That is going to drive the China Springers crazy if so. I admit I skimmed the story I had the impression they were finally going to build now.
Bexar Pitts
PartyBear said:

They must have already owned that property for 20 years or so. I had heard they owned it since around 2000 with intentions of the the store. Sounds like confirmation now that they do at least now currently own it (it could be coincidence that rumors existed over the years that they have owned that particular spot maybe they have owned it for a couple of decades now) but still no immediate plans for an HEB as per this board. That is going to drive the China Springers crazy if so. I admit I skimmed the story I had the impression they were finally going to build now.
Looked again at the MCAD website..HEB actually owns total of 28+ acres now in cropland that they purchased in 2006...they bought the actual strip center itself in 2013..All on MCAD website.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.