Lula Jane's on Elm closing

4,665 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by kkusu5591
Edmond Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://wacotrib.com/news/local/lula-janes-lighthouse-of-changing-elm-avenue-will-close-next-month/article_97de5b36-35e8-11ec-ba2b-d3d5491e9a12.html?

Staffing shortages are driving the owner to exhaustion. Will close after Thanksgiving.

CorsicanaBear
Her staffing shortages appear to be at least partially driven by the fact that $8-$12/hour is under the market. The Chick-fil-a in the bubble was advertising $12 for part time and $14 for full time starting staff.
Stranger
CorsicanaBear said:

Her staffing shortages appear to be at least partially driven by the fact that $8-$12/hour is under the market. The Chick-fil-a in the bubble was advertising $12 for part time and $14 for full time starting staff.

so will the death of Elm Street follow?
I'm a Bearbacker
CorsicanaBear
I hope not and am truly sorry to see her go out of business. Job market conditions right now are difficult for all employers, especially those in service businesses.
Bexar Pitts
She was one of the first, if not THE first, to put a "toe in the water" in the revitalization effort of that immediate business district. It's sad to see her go..IMO,Waco owes her a debt of gratitutde.
OsoCoreyell
Bexar Pitts said:

She was one of the first, if not THE first, to put a "toe in the water" in the revitalization effort of that immediate business district. It's sad to see her go..IMO,Waco owes her a debt of gratitutde.
I agree. Hard to manage employees right now. It's too bad. But I'll bet that someone will open up there.
Robert Wilson
OsoCoreyell said:

Bexar Pitts said:

I agree. Hard to manage employees right now. It's too bad. But I'll bet that someone will open up there.

Agree

Someone will use that location
Bear Doc
CorsicanaBear said:

She states in the article why she was unwilling to raise her wages as it would mean increasing her prices, further gentrifying the Elm Street corridor (although that ship has probably already sailed given Eastside and Brotherwell's close proximity).
Robert Wilson
Bear Doc said:

CorsicanaBear said:

She states in the article why she was unwilling to raise her wages as it would mean increasing her prices, further gentrifying the Elm Street corridor (although that ship has probably already sailed given Eastside and Brotherwell's close proximity).
What does she think is gonna happen when she sells that building?

You can't fight basic economics. Nor can you fight demographics.
CorsicanaBear
Gentrification is a good thing. Always and everywhere.
Bear Doc
Robert Wilson said:

Bear Doc said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Not defending the position, just explaining what the article said.
Robert Wilson
Bear Doc said:

Robert Wilson said:

Bear Doc said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Not defending the position, just explaining what the article said.
yeah, sorry, I wasn't arguing with you - just making the point
Robert Wilson
CorsicanaBear said:

Gentrification is a good thing. Always and everywhere.
yep, you can't complain about blighted areas and complain about their improvement
Liteitup
My understanding is that the property isn't for sale or lease at this time.

If you count Rapaport Academy (and even if you don't), Nancy's done more for that area than the next dozen people combined.
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

Nancy's done more for that area than the next dozen people combined.
Likely true. I just find it puzzling that a person who has, by word and deed, been instrumental in changing the outlook for an area, would have a concern about gentrification.

On the other hand, she need not explain it to me or anyone else. Her business is her business.
BylrFan
Change is necessary. if you don't change, you'll be left behind.

I honestly wouldn't mind paying 50 cents to a dollar extra for folks to live decently and eat good food.
Robert Wilson
Liteitup said:

If you count Rapaport Academy (and even if you don't), Nancy's done more for that area than the next dozen people combined.
Agree she's done a lot for that area.

Leaving a building right there unused doesn't do much for it, certainly isn't better than bumping prices $1 per item to keep it open, or leasing or selling to someone else who'd have a business in it. If she's just tired of running a business, there's certainly no shame in that.
davesburgerbarn
My food truck employees average $20/hr and I constantly struggle to find people to work. The struggle is real…
Nguyen One Soon
Her husband, the other Dr. Grayson, probably got tired of washing dishes after nearly 8 years.
hill02
Really cool that she did that restaurant. Very strange to shut it down instead of raising prices.
loanbear
Does not matter what you pay in Waco right now, you cant get people in the service industry. Weirdest job market I have ever seen.
lrwells50
loanbear said:

Does not matter what you pay in Waco right now, you cant get people in the service industry. Weirdest job market I have ever seen.
Not just Waco.
Bexar Pitts
Robert Wilson said:

Liteitup said:

Agree she's done a lot for that area.

Leaving a building right there unused doesn't do much for it, certainly isn't better than bumping prices $1 per item to keep it open, or leasing or selling to someone else who'd have a business in it. If she's just tired of running a business, there's certainly no shame in that.
I'm not in a position to know, but if I were to speculate, I'd think that since she is building a retirement home so close to the store..there may be things "in the works" for the building...
Grimm
Bear Doc said:

CorsicanaB said:

further gentrifying the Elm Street corridor

I mean, I only ever saw honkies in there buying expensive pie...
Robert Wilson
Grimm said:

Bear Doc said:

CorsicanaB said:

Yeah, every time anybody asked me to meet there, it was some upper middle class or upper class white lady. And when I arrived, they were accompanied by more of the same, and Baylor girls. There aren't a whole lot of East Waco brothers rolling in for ladyfingers and a cappuccino.
Grinnin bear
Robert Wilson said:

Grimm said:

Bear Doc said:

CorsicanaB said:

Yeah, every time anybody asked me to meet there, it was some upper middle class or upper class white lady. And when I arrived, they were accompanied by more of the same, and Baylor girls. There aren't a whole lot of East Waco brothers rolling in for ladyfingers and a cappuccino.
#accurate
4th and Inches
lrwells50 said:

loanbear said:

Not just Waco.
it is like this all over the state from what i have seen
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Coke Bear
Liteitup said:

This!

She's done a ton for the community for decades. The Grayson's are long-time friends and neighbors of my in-laws. My wife babysat all their girls and house sat for them for years.

Nancy is a (quiet) gem for this town.
BU99
Nancy is a hero of mine. I served on the Rapoport board for 6 years and her tireless efforts and dream gave hope to a generation of kids that many did not have. She understood them, believed in them, provided opportunity and pushed them when they needed it. As a result countless kids are now college graduates and successful adults. She is a fighter and it at times rubbed some people in Waco the wrong way, but that was their problem, not hers.

And this is solely from me, Tom Stanton one upped his Baylor AD travesty with his failure to fulfill what Bernard wanted (who to the misunderstanding of many, did not fund or found the school, but was simply named after him to honor her friend who had done many things for underprivileged himself, and I'm on the other side of the aisle, but share the same passion).
FrankFallonCalling
BU99 said:

Nancy is a hero of mine. I served on the Rapoport board for 6 years and her tireless efforts and dream gave hope to a generation of kids that many did not have. She understood them, believed in them, provided opportunity and pushed them when they needed it. As a result countless kids are now college graduates and successful adults. She is a fighter and it at times rubbed some people in Waco the wrong way, but that was their problem, not hers.

And this is solely from me, Tom Stanton one upped his Baylor AD travesty with his failure to fulfill what Bernard wanted (who to the misunderstanding of many, did not fund or found the school, but was simply named after him to honor her friend who had done many things for underprivileged himself, and I'm on the other side of the aisle, but share the same passion).

And what was it that Stanton failed to achieve for Rapoport?
ABC BEAR
FrankFallonCalling said:

BU99 said:

And what was it that Stanton failed to achieve for Rapoport?
Not hiring Kim Mulkey as basketball coach?
T-REX
seems strange that a white woman who came into a poor area and built a white owned business is concerned that raising prices would gentrify the area.....she already did that by opening a business there lol
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
Yogi
CorsicanaBear said:

Mom and Pop's can't compete.

If you can't make money on your business, then there is no good reason for having it open.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
kkusu5591
Gentrification is a good thing. vidmate
mobdro
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.