Marvin Bagley and Duke with NIKE paying for players?

6,059 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Osodecentx
xiledinok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Article in Oregon paper.

Marvin Bagley and family have a household income of $44k in 2008
In 2011, family home is foreclosed. Marvin starts public school in Phoenix.
Marvin then transfers to a NIKE school in Phoenix.
In 2016, Marvin and family move to neighborhood in Southern California where houses range from $750k-$1.5 million. The rent is $2,500-$7,500 in the neighborhood. Marvin attends a private school that costs $36k a year. The school also makes Marvin's dad an assistant coach.
Nike sponsors his summer league team.

Bagley was also a teammate with DeAndre Ayton at NIKE school.

perrynative
Coach K look the other way.
EvilTroyAndAbed
And yet nothing major will happen because there are too many schools involved, and it would decimate the NCAA's cash cow.

So they'll adopt the going pro measure for high school kids and hope it all goes away.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
Also some info about how Josh Jackson's parents were paid. I'll link article later.
xiledinok
They might. The FBI isn't interested in college basketball 's future.
The pros are more ethical and run a cleaner show. The NBA will just take the talent and encourage the G-League, which has a tv sponsor.
xiledinok
Ashley Hodge said:

Also some info about how Josh Jackson's parents were paid. I'll link article later.
Appears he was underpaid.
John Galt
none of this is news

and by all means....they should have remained in poverty until Bagley gets drafted, while Duke, coach k, NCAA, school admins, aau teams, etc get the shoe $$$

when the player's dad is the aau coach they can conceivably receive $$$ to coach, while the shoe company can give to support youth basketball

if the player's parent is not running the team....then they remain in poverty....while all the other parties are being paid

athletes should be free to take shoe money just like a teenage music talent can get a record deal

this is all insanity, and most of all because it so easy to fix (Olympic model). and people might go to jail for this! (if questionable legal theories can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt).

we will see what Condi Rice has in store for the future of CBB. I am hopefully pessimistic that correct and equitable changes will be implemented to fix this mess...
NoBSU
Norman Dale said:

none of this is news

and by all means....they should have remained in poverty until Bagley gets drafted, while Duke, coach k, NCAA, school admins, aau teams, etc get the shoe $$$

when the player's dad is the aau coach they can conceivably receive $$$ to coach, while the shoe company can give to support youth basketball

if the player's parent is not running the team....then they remain in poverty....while all the other parties are being paid

athletes should be free to take shoe money just like a teenage music talent can get a record deal

this is all insanity, and most of all because it so easy to fix (Olympic model). and people might go to jail for this! (if questionable legal theories can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt).

we will see what Condi Rice has in store for the future of CBB. I am hopefully pessimistic that correct and equitable changes will be implemented to fix this mess...
If the athlete takes shoe money, they are a pro and should not be able to compete at the college level. I am fine with your pay for play as long as they then can't compete in basketball in college and pay their own tuition if the want an education down the road.
Osodecentx
Let HS players go straight to the NBA.

Adopt college baseball rule that allows players to go pro, but if they don't go pro out of HS, then they have to stay until their junior year.
xiledinok
The only ones complaining are the guys who want money and influence in the college game.
These guys need to lace up in a pro league and quit beating up on amateurs.
The NBA should not have to change their collective bargaining agreement because corruption in the lower ranks.
However, they will change the rule and college basketball won't have near the talent.
joseywales
What has happen to the idea of having integrity and following rules. I understand the sentiment the players should get part of the pie, however to use that as an excuse for people who knowingly broke the rules and gained a competitive advantage over those who don't cheat is ludicrous. You might not like that weed is illegal in our state but if you break the law and sell or use can you imagine going to court and saying well this law is wrong and not fair to Texans so please just let me off Scott free cause the law or rule is not fair and does not make sense...people who break the rules should be held accountable..most of us are held accountable and no one feels sorry for you if you break a law etc...quit coddling players and schools and coaches who cheat and get them out of college atheletics...I for one am hoping the fbi throws them all in jail.
NoBSU
xiledinok said:

The only ones complaining are the guys who want money and influence in the college game.
The NBA should not have to change their collective bargaining agreement because corruption in the lower ranks.
However, they will change the rule and college basketball won't have near the talent.
I am fine with all that.

By the way, wasn't one of the reasons that they made the NBA rule to begin with was to save NBA teams from themselves. They were like Hollywood. Rosanne is a retro hit so all the networks will look at greenlighting restart-ups of old series.

You had a few successful kids out of high school so all of a sudden most of the teams are drafting high school teams that bombed. Now they have a better minor league setup. So maybe the GMs won't crap the bed every draft.
Chanceux
I'm just tired of schools like UK, KU and Duke not getting busted. Even when they do they skate. Everybody knows dang well they cheat to get players and some school like Mercer gets their punishment. The NCAA is duplicitous and in bed with big businesses like Nike and Adidas and the tv networks. Something's gotta change or eventually an even worse college basketball scandal is gonna happen. This FBI wiretap stuff doesn't even scrape the surface.
Osodecentx
Chanceux said:

I'm just tired of schools like UK, KU and Duke not getting busted. Even when they do they skate. Everybody knows dang well they cheat to get players and some school like Mercer gets their punishment.
Don't forget N. Carolina's academic fraud
GoldenBear007
And yet the NCAA rules players ineligible for merely playing in a church basketball league. NCAA is so corrupt and they don't care as long as they're making money.
John Galt
joseywales said:

What has happen to the idea of having integrity and following rules. I understand the sentiment the players should get part of the pie, however to use that as an excuse for people who knowingly broke the rules and gained a competitive advantage over those who don't cheat is ludicrous. You might not like that weed is illegal in our state but if you break the law and sell or use can you imagine going to court and saying well this law is wrong and not fair to Texans so please just let me off Scott free cause the law or rule is not fair and does not make sense...people who break the rules should be held accountable..most of us are held accountable and no one feels sorry for you if you break a law etc...quit coddling players and schools and coaches who cheat and get them out of college atheletics...I for one am hoping the fbi throws them all in jail.
what happened was Oklahoma Board of Regents vs the NCAA and the commercialization of collegiate sports.

the genie cannot be put back in the bottle, so the answer is to reform the rules.
John Galt
xiledinok said:

false. many who complain care about property rights, freedom, and equitable rules.
Grumpy
Meanwhile, if a Baylor player's mom received a loan from a friend which she paid back in a short period all while the aforementioned Baylor player was in 8th grade, NCAA will suspend him just before the tournament and blackball Baylor from both the NCAA and the NIT tourneys. Makes perfect sense to me!
John Galt
Grumpy said:

Meanwhile, if a Baylor player's mom received a loan from a friend which she paid back in a short period all while the aforementioned Baylor player was in 8th grade, NCAA will suspend him just before the tournament and blackball Baylor from both the NCAA and the NIT tourneys. Makes perfect sense to me!
right. and Bagley's family and others can get some money now because they actually coach the team. while other players cannot.

the answer is the Olympic Model and FREEDOM. it is so easy to fix this - that is one of the saddest parts of this broken system.

just treat student athletes like everyone else - particularly the other students and the coaches (can make money however they want, can transfer freely, etc).

one and done protects NBA gm's. NCAA rules protect colleges and college coaches. it's flat out wrong.
John Galt
joseywales said:

actually, sometimes the law needs to be protested and the authorities challenged. sometimes things need to be changed.

have you ever heard of the Boston Tea Party? the Emancipation Proclamation? The Civil Rights movement?

your line of thinking is dangerous and enabling. how about they fix this and make it right?
NoBSU
The easier fix is let them go pro as young as they like. Let the parents take shoe money at age 14 if they want. Shift the money players to basketball academies. It isn't like we are far from that with all the prep schools and other academies that play on the national circuit. Keep them out of the public high school and college competition. See that no universities profit from them.
xiledinok
Norman Dale said:

xiledinok said:

false. many who complain care about property rights, freedom, and equitable rules.
I want those paid parents and players to pay federal taxes on the money and the IRS pop the parents for filing a false tax return. There is your property rights, freedom and equitable rules. You cannot have it both ways.
There's money at AAU and college levels that needs to have taxes paid on it. A switch to the European model would kill the handlers.

The NBA did put the rule in place to protect themselves and not look bad flushing kids who read their recruiting rating inside the Top 100 in a class and think the rating automatically makes them one of the top 550 players in the world.
John Galt
NoBSU said:

The easier fix is let them go pro as young as they like. Let the parents take shoe money at age 14 if they want. Shift the money players to basketball academies. It isn't like we are far from that with all the prep schools and other academies that play on the national circuit. Keep them out of the public high school and college competition. See that no universities profit from them.
why? let people do what they want. it's all ok. this is all reality already. just fix it.
John Galt
xiledinok said:

Norman Dale said:

xiledinok said:

I want those paid parents and players to pay federal taxes on the money and the IRS pop the parents for filing a false tax return. There is your property rights, freedom and equitable rules. You cannot have it both ways.
There's money at AAU and college levels that needs to have taxes paid on it. A switch to the European model would kill the handlers.

The NBA did put the rule in place to protect themselves and not look bad flushing kids who read their recruiting rating inside the Top 100 in a class and think the rating automatically makes them one of the top 550 players in the world.
yes - I agree. people have to file tax returns. those laws already exist, so I am not sure what you are asking for here? I would assume AAU coaches taking a salary pay them (I have never been paid to coach).

but I could not agree more - change the rules and put it all in the light.
xiledinok
Norman Dale said:

xiledinok said:

Norman Dale said:

xiledinok said:

yes - I agree. people have to file tax returns. those laws already exist, so I am not sure what you are asking for here? I would assume AAU coaches taking a salary pay them (I have never been paid to coach).

but I could not agree more - change the rules and put it all in the light.
I believe the G League should allow 17 year olds. It would allow a transition to professional basketball for the super prospects.
NoBSU
Norman Dale said:

NoBSU said:

why? let people do what they want. it's all ok. this is all reality already. just fix it.
They want the money. They want the fame.

Why is the easy. The why is that let them have the money they want. Let them seek the fame, just not in an amateur league. The why is that it chops the legs out from under the argument that colleges are making millions off them (I don't buy that argument but I am tired of reading/hearing it). Let players that want a degree play in college. Let pros earn their money and fame in the real world.
Osodecentx
No more one & done. Let them go straight into the NBA or wherever.

If they don't go pro out of high school and if they enter college, they aren't eligible for the draft until their junior year. This is working well for baseball. Let's give it a try
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.