Top Prospects for Baylor Lady Bears to Sign NLI this November

48,922 Views | 211 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by slimecap
DFW Bill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My previous Post on this subject in Baylorfans.com is most likely lost for good. I will attempt to focus on the Top Players in the Class of 2018 still available and that have or Baylor has an interest in. The Rankings are those given by Prospects Nation. Hopefully skilledup, setshot, slimecap and others can add information when appropriate. Players that have given verbals are now (Oct.18, 2017) set out in caps.

The NLI Signing Date is November the 8th.

#2 Aquira DeCosta, 6'1" Forward from Stockton, California. Has it down to four schools including Baylor. Made the 2016 USA U17 Team (BAYLOR)

#3 Christyn Williams, 5'11" Point Guard from Central Arkansaw Christian in Little Rock, Arkansaw. Looking at four schools including Baylor. Dynamic player that is great at 1 or 2. Mad,he the 2016 USA U17 Team.

#4 NaLyssa Smith, 6'3" Forward from East Central High School in San Antonio, Texas. Explosive super athlete, outstanding rebounder, very strong finisher. Baylor and three others are under consideration. (BAYLOR)

#5 Honesty Scott-Grayson, 5"10" Point Guard from Fairfax, Virginia. Watched her as a Sophomore, really a
tremendous player with a great sense of court awareness. May still have an interest in Baylor thanks to Toyelle Wilson. (BAYLOR)

#8 Madison Williams, 6'1" Wing from Trinity Valley near Fort Worth. Very little information available. No known schools of interest. Yet she is very highly regarded. (Oklahoma)

#25 Queen Egbo, 6'3" Forward from Lake Travis, outside Austin. Looks like Texas or Baylor

#52 Brooklyn Mitchell, 5'9" Point Guard from Ursuline Academy in New Orleans, Louisiana (KANSAS)

#53. Taylor Chavez, 5'9" Guard from Valley Vista, suburb of Phoenix. Has an interest in Baylor.(OREGON)

#77 Catlin Bickle, 6'1" Wing from Cactus Shadows near Phoenix. Has an interest in Baylor (BAYLOR)

Two interesting players with height and length.

Uchenna Nwoke, 6'5" Post from South Grand Prarie High School near Dallas. (DUKE)

Stephanie Soares, 6'6" Post from Pflugerville, Texas near Austin

slimecap
Hi DFW Bill,
Awesome list & information !

I appreciate your phone call. Here are the add-ons you asked about.

1. August 17, 2017

- Raoul twitter account

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Madison Williams

a) June 9, 2017

"Texas WBB Advanced Camp is loaded with talent!"

- Prentice Beverly, BallN Prep Report

`

`

b) June 1, 2016

USA Basketball Notes for 2018 Madison Williams

• Named as a finalist for the 2016 USA U17 World Championship on May 30, 2016.

High School Notes
  • Has played two varsity seasons at Trinity Valley School (Fort Worth, Texas).
  • Lists a single-game high of 33 points (vs. St. Andrew's Episcopal in 2015-16).
  • Has started in every game she has played.
  • As a sophomore in 2015-16, averaged 20.0 ppg., 8.0 rpg., 4.0 apg., 4.0 spg. and 2.0 bpg. to help her team to the state tournament semifinals.
  • As a freshman in 2014-15, averaged 14 ppg., 10.0 rpg., 3.0 apg., 2.0 spg. and 2.0 bpg. to help her team to a 10th place finish in the state tournament.
  • Plays in the summer for Texas United in the NIke EYBL.
  • Also participates in track and field and has since the seventh grade; earned All-SPC and All-North Zone; jumped 18'2" in the long jump in 2015-16 and 37'10" in the triple-jump in 2014-15, threw 36'10" in the shot put in 2014-15 and ran 12.89 in the 100-meter in 2015-16.

Personal Notes
  • Prefers to go by Madi.
  • Born in her hometown of Forth Worth, Texas.
  • Daughter of Sharla Williams and DeMarcus Williams.
  • Has one brother, Evan Williams (15) and one sister, Macy Williams (11).
  • Cousin Adrian Williams-Strong played in the WNBA.

c) July 31, 2016

VIDEO interview

`
slimecap
1. Alfred Hitchcock moment
Searching in the crowd
I spy with my little eye ... ;-)
Can you find the person?

July 28, 2017

2. August 2, 2017

`
Pale Rider
Thanks a bunch guys. Great info. I sure do think we need at least one of those post players.
Dcheetah
Can Smith be a 5? If so, do Acosta and Smith have compatible games where they could play on the court at the same time?

skillledup
I think Coach Mulkey would have to change her style of play if you move smith to a 5. I think Cox goes to the 5 and Smith to the 4. This is of course after Brown graduates.
slimecap
`

Brooklyn Mitchell
5-8 G

"With last year's Class 4A Player of the Year, Kourtney Weber, out for the season, Mitchell picked up much of the slack. She averaged nearly 16 points, more than six rebounds and more than four assists per game.

There might not be a more focused player on the basketball court on the local scene than Mitchell. In other words, get out of her way."

- Jim Derry, New Orleans Times-Picayune, 28 March 2017

"While a lot of players have a skill set that looks good in station work, many often see their game get lost in translation when the action goes live. Not so with Mitchell. All the ball handling and passing found its way into transition drills as well as full court five on five. The left hand is there and she uses it more than most but she'll need to catch it up to her strong hand to keep defenders honest.

Playing with lots of quickness and speed, the 5-8 point guard navigates traffic and creates opportunities for both herself and her teammates. Mitchell looks to push it from makes, misses and turnovers forcing her teammates to get out ahead of the ball and run the lanes. For the most part her decision making is sharp and the ability is there to deliver the ball to the block even with strong on ball pressure. Her form is sound but she appears to be more comfortable looking for options off the drive rather than spotting up. Defensively she got in a stance and was a strong on ball defender utilizing quick feet to turn opposing ball handlers live and in breakdown drills."

- Mark Lewis, Blue Star Media
Dcheetah
Thx Skilledup.
GarlandBear84
Mary, I see Bill Brock sitting in front of the door under the court 5 sign.
slimecap
GarlandBear84 said:

I see Bill Brock sitting in front of the door under the court 5 sign.
And we have the first correct answer posted on Sic'Em365
for the photo posted above in this thread !!

GarlandBear84 .. the next time I see you at a Baylor game .. I will buy you a Dr. Pepper.

P. S. More Alfred Hitchcock moments to be posted in the next 7 days in other threads.

Pale Rider
I like Dr Pepper.
slimecap
Pale Rider said:

I like Dr Pepper.
Hi Brother Pale Rider,
I posted 2 "Alfred Hitchcock moment" photos in the Non-Conference Schedule thread.
If you can identify the mystery person(s), you could also get a free Dr. Pepper from me.

Here is a Baylor memory for you

Baylor Bear Mascot Drinking Dr Pepper, 1971

- The Texas Collection, Baylor University
Pale Rider
Wow I was in school walking on campus going to class at that very time. I can't remember that brother's name. I must have been in the old Carroll Library studying my Greek.
slimecap
UPDATE
Official visit

"Scheduled to be on Notre Dame campus Sept. 30 is 5-11 Arkansas guard Christyn Williams, ranked the No. 1 prospect by Hoopgurlz and No. 3 on Prospects Nation. Head coach Muffet McGraw said there is room to add at least 3 more recruits if there is mutual interest."

Read the entire Notre Dame 2017-18 preview article
https://notredame.rivals.com/news/brianna-turner-notre-dame-women-s-basketball-on-the-mend
drahthaar
slimecap said:

Pale Rider said:

I like Dr Pepper.
Hi Brother Pale Rider,
I posted 2 "Alfred Hitchcock moment" photos in the Non-Conference Schedule thread.
If you can identify the mystery person(s), you could also get a free Dr. Pepper from me.

Here is a Baylor memory for you

Baylor Bear Mascot Drinking Dr Pepper, 1971

- The Texas Collection, Baylor University

Ahhhh! Harrell "Scoop" Shelton supplying the DP!!
sevenmilebeachbob
"#25 Queen Egbo, 6'3" Forward from Lake Travis, outside Austin. Looks like Texas or Baylor"

Minor point, but Egbo is from Ft. Bend Travis outside Houston. Gives Baylor a much better chance than if she were playing at Lake Travis, which is where I live.
skillledup
Nalyssa Smith will be on campus this weekend coming up. Her final official visit.
74Bear
Thanks for the info. Sure would like to get two of Smith DeCosta and Egbo for inside game signees.
Dcheetah
How many scholies will we have available and do we think we will use them all? Mulkey seems to commonly hold a few back.
Hairy Bear
Mulkey does like to have at least one scholarship available should a top transfer that fits well is looking. But our roster has a lot of space currently, so that there will be space even if recruiting goes well, in fact if somehow we used every spot, such a large incoming class would be very difficult to assimilate.
Hairy Bear
Hairy Bear said:

Mulkey does like to have at least one scholarship available should a top transfer that fits well is looking. But our roster has a lot of space currently, so that there will be space even if recruiting goes well, in fact if somehow we used every spot, such a large incoming class would be very difficult to assimilate.

The current roster has 10 players, two of which are seniors.
74Bear
Just posted on twitter by Raoul who is pretty in the know

NaLyssa Smith is expected to announce her college choice Sept. 1; she's rumored to be taking her final official visit to Baylor this weekend

Maybe slinecap or someone who knows how can add the actual twitter image
slimecap
74Bear said:

Just posted on twitter by Raoul who is pretty in the know

NaLyssa Smith is expected to announce her college choice Sept. 1; she's rumored to be taking her final official visit to Baylor this weekend

Maybe slimecap or someone who knows how can add the actual twitter image

74Bear
I think we have been out of the C. Williams sweepstakes for a couple months or so.
Pale Rider
Appreciate this thread.
bowdedg
We have several recruits with scheduled upcoming visits with Baylor:

NaLyssa Smith - this coming weekend
Taylor Chavez - 9/8
Aquira DeCosta - 10/6

To date, I have not heard anything regarding visits from the below recruits:

Queen Egbo
Honesly Scott-Grayson
Caitlin Bickle
74Bear
I think Egbo has been here unofficially with the official visit scheduled in Sept or Oct. UT is really pressing hard. Seems they might not be as confident Joyner Holmes will make it three more years as they let on.

Bickle has been here, not sure if official or unofficial Between BU and Cal. Don't know if her torn ACL keeps her closer to home or not or if it makes anyone backoff.
slimecap

Caitlin Bickle (left) attended June 2015 Baylor Camp

Caitlin Bickle & 2019 Baylor verbal commit Jordyn Oliver
setshot
Bickle has a very nice all around game and a lot of court savvy. I am not sure that at this point she has one strength that is suited for what she will be dealing with at the Big 12 level, game to game, but she is a nice prospect. I just don't know how her game translates at the defensive end to the high level athleticism that BU faces once they hit the Sweet Sixteen, and right now that level and higher should be the determining factor in our recruitment process.

I find her injury history to be problematic. Mulkey has not had great success with players with high school injuries coming in, although Odyssey Sims certainly managed to surmount hers by her second year. She struggled late in her first year, and I ascribed that to being worn down, both physically and mentally, by the toll taken on her.

Shanay Washington's loss due to a recurrence of her high school injury may well have cost the Lady Bears another national championship. She was a terrific prospect and one that I thought likely to be an All Conference player by her second, or surely by her third, year.

At her best, Bickle is a good take. If she has an injury which necessitates knee braces and rehab, I would pass.
skillledup
Honesty will be there on the weekend of the 6th as well. I didn't think Baylor had a serious chance with her but I've heard it's between Ohio state and Baylor. Smith and Honesty have become pretty good friends through the AAU circuit so it could be good for you Bear fans.

DeCosta and Honesty will both be there for their last stops., and I've heard that both have serious interest in Baylor. Decosta and Williams both have Tennesse on their list and they are rumored to want to play together. Another thing to look out for is Decosta is from South Carolina area so she could just choose to go back home.

My thinking is Baylor wants to pull off a haul of Bickle, Smith, Homesty, Decosta, and Queen. I would think in that order as far as who is rumored to be a closer lock when it comes to them committing.

On another note I'm hearing that there is a last minute schedule change for the lady bears. Hearing Stanford is being added.
74Bear
I would take that 5 and call it a day in a hurry. THANKS Skilledup.
Pale Rider
No kidding.
slimecap
Drive-By Dunk Challenge
NaLyssa Smith

`

BuinmyBlood
Very impressive even if those rims are not set at the correct height.

Would love to hear how her visit went over the weekend. From what I could gather of the Waco weather it appears it might have been raining off and on all weekend? Hopefully she liked what she saw and we'll get some good news on September 1st. We really really need this girl...
skillledup
I saw the team in salt grass on Saturday night. They seem to be having a good time

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.