TCU enters AP poll at #25

2,260 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ScottS
slimecap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://wtop.com/ncaa-basketball/2020/02/the-ap-top-25-womens-basketball-poll-6/
blueeyedbear
slimecap said:

https://wtop.com/ncaa-basketball/2020/02/the-ap-top-25-womens-basketball-poll-6/

TCU should be 21 maybe 20
Red Bear
TCU has positioned themselves to be the #2 in the B12 for WBB. RP has done a solid job of building a culture, recruiting kids and implementing them to match her system. We'll be interesting to watch them the next couple of years.
Steely Dan
About time. They're good.
GarlandBear84
Well, they have five seniors starting, so I expect a big drop off next season. The coach will likely parlay this into a new gig and perhaps in Austin.
3rdgenbear
I agree. Hopefully, they can still make their case.

I think they belong about two spots behind the Aggettes, who beat them by two. As far as who I would least want to face, I would put them well ahead of the 20-8 Oregon State team and UCLA as well.

I guess it's that Middle Tennessee loss when Ray had an awful night. Maybe it's having fewer games on their schedule thus far than some of the others.

JITASIA
GarlandBear84 said:

Well, they have five seniors starting, so I expect a big drop off next season. The coach will likely parlay this into a new gig and >xender discord omegle perhaps in Austin.
job of building a culture, recruiting kids and implementing them to match her system. We'll be interesting to watch them the next couple of years.
setshot
I liked what I saw of TCU in the Pebley era in the very first year. It is almost as though she took Kim Mulkey, who she obviously appreciates and admires, as a model. TCU plays a tough, physical brand of defense, likes to score inside, and will shoot the three when the opportunity to do so is there.

She is in a fine area for recruiting, and has used transfers to jump start her program. She has elevated the profile of the program by becoming a color analyst for the Dallas WNBA team. Smart moves in gaining favorable publicity and from what I have seen, excellent coaching, both in preparation and in game-time adjustments, have given me a favorable impression of her current and future prospects as a coach of women's basketball.

I am sure that every conference has its share of good coaches, but I doubt that any conference, from top to bottom, is stronger in that regard than the Big 12. That is an indication that this conference values the women's game and intends to become the premier force nationally for women's collegiate basketball. Kim Mulkey has set a very high bar of excellence and many of the conference schools are not backing away from that. It is good to see that being put in place, and though I don't know how many of our opponents would admit to it, the conference owes Coach Mulkey a huge debt of gratitude.
historian
Now the Lady Bears have 2 more wins over a ranked team!
DanaDane
So, now the Big 12 Women's tourney commercial that says "the defending national champions ALONG WiTH OTHER NATIONALLY RANKED teams is finally legit?
geewago
DanaDane said:

So, now the Big 12 Women's tourney commercial that says "the defending national champions ALONG WiTH OTHER NATIONALLY RANKED teams is finally legit?
Although to be correct it should say "along with one other nationally ranked team"

It's a crying shame that TX, WV, & ISU haven't played well enough to get a ranking.
Old300Bear
I predict that Pebley will be in Austin next year.
Fred Barber
BUbackerinET
I agree - too many positives for whorn to pass up.
Lone Star
Old300Bear said:

I predict that Pebley will be in Austin next year.
Sadly, I agree with you but, that may make it interesting in the B12.

Texas IS losing a lot of seniors however and, I do not know how their recruiting is going in light of coaches job in jeopardy. It may be a few more years before UT rises to the top of the B12.

bawitdaball
I will say it again, Peebles isn't leaving TCU. Originally you said she was headed to Duke, now she is bound for Texas? This will be her first NCAA tournament. She has been a mainstay with the WNIT. She hasn't earned the distinction of an up and coming coach. In five years, after putting together a consistent program that isn't relying heavily on its five seniors, then she will have some additional negotiating. She also LOVES TCU. She is highly respected at the university and within the community and has the ability to build a strong program that is hers. Aston has taken her team to the NCAA tournament every year. A single "down" year is allowed, and I'd be extremely surprised if she is fired after a third-place finish in the Big 12. In Mulkey's seventh year she finished third (11-5 record) in the conference and was knocked out in the second round of the NCAA tournament. We weren't expecting her tenure to be over. Hell, in her tenth year, Griner's freshman season, she finished sixth in the conference. So, I'll repeat what I said a month ago - pump the brakes a bit. A few of you are obsessed with Peebles and think she is one of the hottest coaches in the country. She is a great coach that is still building her foundation. But the Big 12 is a great conference, and she is building a resume, that needs to include at least one NCAA big, and ideally a win before she is viewed as a valid replacement for a coach who has gone to an Elite 8 and hasn't missed the tournament during her tenure. I might be wrong, but with three years left on her contract and her need to build some level of consistency, she'll be facing off against the Green & Gold next year from her spot in Ft. Worth, not Austin.
ScottS
I'm sure TCU will do what they can to hold onto her.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.