All time Baylor WBB roster

2,395 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by greggor25
Brusinbear2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you could create your own all time womens basketball roster who would you have on it?
12 player rosters
ALL TIME
this will be interesting
Brusinbear2001
Starting 5
PG: Oddessey Suns
SG: Alexis Jones
SF: Sophia Young
PF Nalyssa Smith
C: Britney Griner
Reserves
Lauren Cox
Kalani Brown
Kristy Wallace
Niya Johnson
Dekeiya Cohen
Nina Davis
Destiny Williams

This was so hard willing to hear opinions
geewago
Brittney Griner
Maggie Davis
Suzie Snider
Sophia Young
Odyssey Sims
Sheila Lambert
Nalyssa Smith
Alexis Jones
Kalani Brown
Nina Davis
Daniel Crockrum
Bernice Mosby

SORRY: Lauren Cox, Melissa Jones, Chloe Jackson, Christy Wallace, Tea Cooper, Angela Tisdale, Didi Richards. Ya'll all finished tied for 13th.

The fact that I had to leave out Juicy Landrum, Niya Johnson, Stephanie Blackmon, Jessica Morrow etc. etc. etc. Just proves there have been some mighty good players on that FC floor.
Adriacus Peratuun
Brittney Griner
Sophia Young
Nalyssa Smith
Odyssey Sims
Maggie Davis
Mary Lowry
Kristy Wallace
Lauren Cox
Sheila Lambert
Danielle Crockrom
Steffanie Blackmon
Melissa Jones

Shanay Washington and Alexis Prince arrived with that level of talent but injuries derailed them.

Adriacus Peratuun
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Brittney Griner
Sophia Young
Nalyssa Smith
Odyssey Sims
Maggie Davis
Mary Lowry
Kristy Wallace
Lauren Cox
Sheila Lambert
Danielle Crockrom
Steffanie Blackmon
Melissa Jones

Shanay Washington and Alexis Prince arrived with that level of talent but injuries derailed them.

Simply listed the best careers. If roster building, add Juicy Landrum, Tea Cooper & Chloe Jackson for more outside shooting [subtract Blackmon, Crockrom and Jones].

blueeyedbear
Brusinbear2001 said:

Starting 5
PF Nalyssa Smith
Reserves
Lauren Cox
Kalani Brown
Kristy Wallace
Niya Johnson
Dekeiya Cohen
Nina Davis
Destiny Williams

You put together a very impressive list and with only so few slots to fill it had to have been hard so no disagreement from me but ...................all time - You must have never seen Suzie Snider Eppers play !!! She was something special.
Bone Squad
That's the problem with these All-Time discussions for me. From my review of the records certain players have, I am sure Suzie Snider Eppers and others merit a place on the list. But my personal knowledge of the Lady Bears begins in 2000, so I have no real basis for comparison of anyone before that time.
TechDawgMc
Brusinbear2001 said:

Starting 5
PF Nalyssa Smith
Reserves
Lauren Cox
Kalani Brown
Kristy Wallace
Niya Johnson
Dekeiya Cohen
Nina Davis
Destiny Williams

PG, SF and C seem obviously right to me. Though I'd want Sheila Lambert as my backup PG -- even over Niya. Lambert was a better all around guard. I can't really disagree with Jones at SG but I think that points to that being our weakest position overall.

I'd be tempted to put Cox or Crockrom at PF (Cox for defense and all around play, Crockrom was a rebounding machine who might have been sensational with four years under good coaching). Smith might take the spot with authority this year.

While I'm always a bit suspicious of "way back" players, I don't think you could leave Snider off an all time team.

To add Lambert and Snider, I'd lose Niya and Cohen. I'd probably take Crockrom over Williams.

SSadler
Ole Adriacus is playin' with you all (again, so what's new?)

How many of you know who "Mary Lowry" was as a Baylor letter winner?

I'll go ahead and answer since if you Google the name + Baylor you won't get much. So, here's the answer: probably the first true "gunner" Baylor wbb ever had. Played for Pam Bowers. Across the midcourt line there was no shot Mary wouldn't take.

And, in the time she played at BU, she was a true scorer as a shooting guard (though that term was used back then). One of the few reasons in early 1980s the 300-400 fans present in the Ferrell Center would venture to the Ferrell Center to watch a women's basketball game.

I normally don't defer to ole Adriacus, but on this one, I'd enjoy knowing why he pulled that name out of the past and put Lowry on his All-Time team.
Adriacus Peratuun
SSadler said:

Ole Adriacus is playin' with you all (again, so what's new?)

How many of you know who "Mary Lowry" was as a Baylor letter winner?

I'll go ahead and answer since if you Google the name + Baylor you won't get much. So, here's the answer: probably the first true "gunner" Baylor wbb ever had. Played for Pam Bowers. Across the midcourt line there was no shot Mary wouldn't take.

And, in the time she played at BU, she was a true scorer as a shooting guard (though that term was used back then). One of the few reasons in early 1980s the 300-400 fans present in the Ferrell Center would venture to the Ferrell Center to watch a women's basketball game.

I normally don't defer to ole Adriacus, but on this one, I'd enjoy knowing why he pulled that name out of the past and put Lowry on his All-Time team.
Mary Lowry was an easy choice for me. Only Baylor WBB player to be SWC Player of the Year. Highest scoring game in history [54 against UT]. One of few to average 20+ PPG. All Conference first team.

And she did all of it basically playing 1 on 5. The amount of surrounding talent was minimal.

BTW, she was early 90s. And she was a great player. If she had played with Griner, both could easily have scored 30 PPG.
baylorbear33
Mary was a good choice from stats alone, but she only played at Baylor for two years and wasn't exactly big on sharing the ball. As a Louisiana girl, she got the hell out of Waco when they brought on Sonja Hogg because she had the background knowledge to make a smarter decision than the rest of us. Fun fact -- her daughter now plays for CKM at LSU.
Adriacus Peratuun
baylorbear33 said:

Mary was a good choice from stats alone, but she only played at Baylor for two years and wasn't exactly big on sharing the ball. As a Louisiana girl, she got the hell out of Waco when they brought on Sonja Hogg because she had the background knowledge to make a smarter decision than the rest of us. Fun fact -- her daughter now plays for CKM at LSU.
Mary was told by her coaching staff to shoot the ball at every opportunity. And she is now a top HS coach in Louisiana.

And she was the only Baylor WBB player for a two decade winner that was close to All Conference level. Winning SWC Player of the Year was a phenomenal feat.
etgrowler
I would add the late Debbie Polk to the conversation, if not the team. She averaged over 20 points per game. She was named to the All -Region team at Baylor (not sure if they didn't have all conference designation then) and was also a finalist for the Wade Trophy. Debbie was a great athlete and played on a pretty good Baylor women's basketball team. I was a freshman her last year and went to almost every home game at the HOT as they played the game before the men's game, so I would go to both. She was an early 80's player for BU.
Task Force 2015
I think the primary reason Lowry left was that she was mad at Baylor for firing her coach Pam Bowers who directed her to fire at will.And as a terrific scorer,she had many options other than staying.I enjoyed watching Mary play and was sorry that she moved on.There is no question that she was a high major talent.
greggor25
Mary belongs on Baylor's All Time team. She accomplished a lot in her short stay here. She almost didn't come to Baylor. She was supposed to go to La Tech but Barmore changed his mind after early signing period. Her High School teams finish high each year in Bossier, even winning State her daughter's senior year. Kinda strange that Mulk is coaching her daughter now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.