Banks Failing

4,410 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Doc Holliday
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A third bank is now on the verge of collapse...

If there's a bank run that collapses the financial sector, look for Biden to blame the Fed and lefties will blame Trump era deregulation which has nothing to do with the situation.

If this spirals out of control, we can't afford to fix the problem because of reckless money printing.

Now that the Venture Capital bailout went thru so easily, it won't stop. Why would it stop now?

Doc Holliday

Guy Noir
Yes I agree, this is a cause for concern.
BearFan33
Doc Holliday said:

If there's a bank run that collapses the financial sector, look for Biden to blame the Fed and lefties will blame Trump era deregulation which has nothing to do with the situation.

If this spirals out of control, we can't afford to fix the problem because of reckless money printing.

Now that the Venture Capital bailout went thru so easily, it won't stop. Why would it stop now?

Instead of focusing on the problem, I'm sure Team Biden is working feverishly on who to blame and how to spin this situation.
BearFan33
Guy Noir said:

Yes I agree, this is a cause for concern.
Regionals are getting killed
Doc Holliday
BearFan33 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Instead of focusing on the problem, I'm sure Team Biden is working feverishly on who to blame and how to spin this situation.
Biden has spent his entire presidency/stewardship blaming everyone else.

Think of the message this sends if all bank deposits are insured 100% by the US government. If there's no risk to bank managers making terrible decisions, they can "bet the bank" for their annual bonus knowing daddy government will cover their ass.

RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Banks battered and Bitcoin booming!

Clown world.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
ShooterTX
Is it any surprise that the first few banks to fail are all very proud of their "woke" policies?

I guess DEI is just a disfunctional way of spelling die in the banking world.
Oldbear83
Turns out "ESG" really stands for 'Extra Stupid Guys'.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Wrecks Quan Dough
Random Senator on Finance Committee to Executives of Failed Banks:

"Complete this sentence. When I was supposed to be managing interest-rate risk, I was doing the following __________________________________."

And with respect to Silicon Valley Bank, why are we bailing out Harry and Megan? They can get $250,000 just like the rest of us.
Redbrickbear

muddybrazos
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Clown world.
The clowns are the ones who doubt bitcoin. It has a limited supply and every time they run the money printer BTC will increase in value.
Redbrickbear
muddybrazos said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Clown world.
The clowns are the ones who doubt bitcoin. It has a limited supply and every time they run the money printer BTC will increase in value.
But that is exactly what makes it a non-currency.

One of the main things that makes currency...a currency...is the ability to increase the money supply.

Something that has to be done if the population or the economy grow (increase the dollars in circulation).

[But the most important attribute of a store of value is that it's valuable. Gold is valuable because it has many industrial and decorative uses. Its price can fluctuate because of speculation on financial markets, but it can never fall to zero. There will always be someone willing to accept gold because it's a useful commodity.
Similarly, US government bonds are ultimately valuable because they entitle the owner to a relatively secure flow of interest payments. Dollars and euros are valuable because they are widely accepted as a means of payment, and will continue to be so in the foreseeable future.

In contrast, the future acceptability of the Venezuelan bolivar is in doubt, so people are desperately trying to exchange it to better stores of value.

Is Bitcoin valuable? It has no industrial or decorative uses, and it doesn't entitle the holder to receive interest. It was intended to be valuable as a currency that is accepted the world over, but that doesn't seem to be happening. The only major value that Bitcoin has now is its exchange value.]
Osodecentx
Doc Holliday said:

Not to nitpick, but we can't afford to fix the problem because of reckless money printing.
If it doesn't spiral out of control this time it will sooner or later.
Every percent of interest the government has to pay to borrow money cost about $300 billion.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Osodecentx said:

Doc Holliday said:

Not to nitpick, but we can't afford to fix the problem because of reckless money printing.
If it doesn't spiral out of control this time it will sooner or later.
Every percent of interest the government has to pay to borrow money cost about $300 billion.
And then the government prints money to cover the interest on the debt exacerbating inflation;

Higher inflation = higher COLA on social security benefits;

Higher COLA on social security benefits leads to more money printing to cover the interest;

Higher inflation = higher COLA on social security benefits;

This is simplification but most of us can see where this is headed.
EatMoreSalmon
Ruining the American economy = killing the goose that laid golden eggs.
Wrecks Quan Dough
EatMoreSalmon said:

Ruining the American economy = killing the goose that laid golden eggs.
60% of all federal outlays fall into the following categories:

1. Social Security;

2. Health;

3. Income Security; and

4. Medicare.

Mainly wealth transfer programs.
Guy Noir
Doc Holliday said:

BearFan33 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Biden has spent his entire presidency/stewardship blaming everyone else.

Think of the message this sends if all bank deposits are insured 100% by the US government. If there's no risk to bank managers making terrible decisions, they can "bet the bank" for their annual bonus knowing daddy government will cover their ass.

Actually I did hear that it was all Trumps fault, because he supported deregulation. The Biden blame machine has it already decided. The buck does not stop in the oval office because Joe has already spent it.
STxBear81
Buck never stops w dementia.
Redbrickbear
Wrecks Quan Dough
Redbrickbear said:

Does Dick Armey have any thoughts on this?
Redbrickbear
STxBear81
Didnt SBV fail because client base are primary tech start ups and deposits were falling many months ago and they waited too long to meet capital requirements? people saw it and took money out, the bank being unable to meet cash needs had FDIC take over. if i understand this correclty how does this meet freak out status? poor management actually
ABC BEAR
I keep my assets at George Bailey's Building & Loan.
Oldbear83
ABC BEAR said:

I keep my assets at George Bailey's Building & Loan.
The place that was sold to Arab investors and replaced with a Hooters?
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
ATL Bear
Moral hazard eventually comes home to roost.
curtpenn
BornAgain said:

Didnt SBV fail because client base are primary tech start ups and deposits were falling many months ago and they waited too long to meet capital requirements? people saw it and took money out, the bank being unable to meet cash needs had FDIC take over. if i understand this correclty how does this meet freak out status? poor management actually

Probably partly due to SBV operating a little too far out in time on their Treasury holdings seeking a little higher rate. Rapid rise in interest rates led to a crunch.
Jacques Strap
One-Eyed Wheeler
BornAgain said:

It failed because the idiots running the bank bought long-term bonds when interest rates were exceptionally low. The funding for those purchases were hot money deposits that can be yanked immediately. When the fed starting raising rates their bond positions tanked in value requiring a capital infusion. When word got out the stampede started.

If the bank had managed their risk properly they would have hedged their interest rate risk on their long bonds, they didn't and the rest is history.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
muddybrazos said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Clown world.
I love your posts, muddy. You and I agree about most everything except cryptocurrency. Just because two dudes invent a currency in their basement that makes logarithmic calculations and burns up electricity like there is no tomorrow does not make them legit. I am sorry. Bitcoin will be the Pet Rock of 2023. Most of Bitcoin's investors and followers have still not figured that out yet.

I wish you the best going forward. These next two years will be interesting for all of us with Lame Brain in charge.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
muddybrazos

RIP Credit Suisse
muddybrazos
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

muddybrazos said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Clown world.
I love your posts, muddy. You and I agree about most everything except cryptocurrency. Just because two dudes invent a currency in their basement that makes logarithmic calculations and burns up electricity like there is no tomorrow does not make them legit. I am sorry. Bitcoin will be the Pet Rock of 2023. Most of Bitcoin's investors and followers have still not figured that out yet.

I wish you the best going forward. These next two years will be interesting for all of us with Lame Brain in charge.
We can agree to disagree. There are some scams in crypto but BTC, ETH and few others are here to stay. Go take a look at El Salvador and what their president has already done to the country with BTC. The globalists hate BTC and do not want poor countries to have such freedom from them.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-01-24/bukele-says-el-salvador-repaid-maturing-bond-dodging-default

Bukele Says El Salvador Paid Full $800 Million of Debt Due
  • Nation's president announces repayment of 2023 bond on Twitter
  • Next major El Salvador foreign-bond maturity comes due in 2025

Jack Bauer
muddybrazos said:

RIP Credit Suisse

Just because you are on TV does not make you smart...

ShooterTX
BornAgain said:

And Signature Bank? And Credit Suisse?

I recall all the people who said it was just Lehman Brothers... but everyone else will be fine. Same idiots who said it was just a few Savings & Loans that were poorly managed, but the rest would be fine.

We just had the 2nd and 3rd largest bank failures in American history, and both happened within 3 days of eachother... but you guys actually think everything is fine? What planet are you from?
Osodecentx
ShooterTX said:

BornAgain said:

And Signature Bank? And Credit Suisse?

I recall all the people who said it was just Lehman Brothers... but everyone else will be fine. Same idiots who said it was just a few Savings & Loans that were poorly managed, but the rest would be fine.

We just had the 2nd and 3rd largest bank failures in American history, and both happened within 3 days of eachother... but you guys actually think everything is fine? What planet are you from?
It is troubling. Contagion
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.