What is Erisology?

910 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by LIB,MR BEARS
Waco1947
How long do you want to ignore this user?
John Nerst
""Erisology" is a made up word for a made up academic discipline I think should exist. Built from the name Eris, the greek goddess of discord, it refers to the study of disagreement. I introduced the term in a post in January 2016, but this is a condensed version, intended to give an overview to those not interested in reading a meandering essay.

"Disagreement" can mean many things, but this is what I have in mind: A lot of online discourse is hostile and often needlessly adversarial (I trust no one needs to be convinced of this). Specifically, a lot of this disagreement is dysfunctional, by which I mean that it results from (or is exacerbated by) one or both of the parties, intentionally or unintentionally, misunderstanding the other party's position or the nature of their differences.

I've got a lot of experience wasting time online and a lot of that experience is reading people arguing. Over the years I've come to the conclusion that the severe dysfunction so much of online discussion exhibits is at least partly the result of a limited set of pitfalls that people tend to fall into time and time and time again. The same things happen in meatspace and traditional media, but the dawn of the internet and social media turned it all up to 12.

Erisology is the study of this dysfunction and, theoretically, the attempt to fix some of it by making people more aware of how it happens and how it doesn't always need to happen.

To be extremely brief: for many reasons we don't understand each other nearly as well as we think we do."
Waco1947
Oldbear83
Restraint, courtesy and honest intercourse are integral parts of any effective discussion, Waco.

With all due respect, you have not shown those qualities in past discussions where emotions could become heated. Some here may be able to moderate such a discussion to fruitful outcomes, but frankly we both know certain individuals with malicious intent or destructive habits would derail the effort within the first page.
Vera Star
Erisology is the study of conflict and how it affects various aspects of our lives. It is a field of study that looks at how different types of conflicts arise, how they evolve, and how they can be managed or resolved. It looks at both the interpersonal and the systemic level of conflict, as well as the effects it has on our personal and professional lives.

Erisology has been around for centuries and is used in a variety of fields, including conflict resolution, social work, psychology, and anthropology. It examines the causes and effects of conflict, as well as the ways in which it can be managed or resolved. It also examines the ways in which individuals, communities, and societies can best engage in conflict in order to achieve a desired outcome. It is an important field of study for those who are interested in understanding the dynamics of interpersonal and systemic conflict, as well as finding ways to resolve them.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Vera Star said:

Erisology is the study of conflict and how it affects various aspects of our lives. It is a field of study that looks at how different types of conflicts arise, how they evolve, and how they can be managed or resolved. It looks at both the interpersonal and the systemic level of conflict, as well as the effects it has on our personal and professional lives.

Erisology has been around for centuries and is used in a variety of fields, including conflict resolution, social work, psychology, and anthropology. It examines the causes and effects of conflict, as well as the ways in which it can be managed or resolved. It also examines the ways in which individuals, communities, and societies can best engage in conflict in order to achieve a desired outcome. It is an important field of study for those who are interested in understanding the dynamics of interpersonal and systemic conflict, as well as finding ways to resolve them.
I suspect AI-Bot. If so, very impressive.
LIB,MR BEARS
Oldbear83 said:

Restraint, courtesy and honest >>>intercourse<<< are integral parts of any effective discussion, Waco.

With all due respect, you have not shown those qualities in past discussions where emotions could become heated. Some here may be able to moderate such a discussion to fruitful outcomes, but frankly we both know certain individuals with malicious intent or destructive habits would derail the effort within the first page.

Can we get back to discussing "intercourse"?
I'm taking notes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.