The Live Action Little Mermaid Will Now Be Black

2,761 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Jack Bauer
Golem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you know a 5 yr old little girl with red hair, alabaster skin and blue eyes like my daughter, you can imagine how much this will suck for her. Red heads are a tiny minority of the human race (<2%).

Honestly, this nonsense is getting old. How many reboots will they make with token minorities or women just to burnish their woke PC credentials? They tried it with Annie, Karate Kid and Fantastic Four and those flopped. They rebooted Ghostbusters, Oceans Eleven and (again) Karate Kid with chicks and they flopped. Just leave well enough alone and make something new worth watching with minorities or women in it instead of trying to steal the shine off a legitimate success you had nothing to do with.

I wonder if there'd be anger over casting decisions that meant:

Pocahontas is now Irish
Mulan is now Pakistani
Tiana is now Korean
Jasmine is now Norwegian

Disney announced yesterday that it has cast black actor Halle Bailey in new film
Bailey to play central character of Ariel in Hans Christian Andersen's classic tale
On social media, thousands praised the decision and the positive impact 19-year-old Bailey's casting could have on 'young black girls'
However, others said the animation giant should have stayed true to Andersen's original red-haired, pale-skinned incarnation

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-7212979/Casting-Halle-Bailey-Little-Mermaid-make-sparks-joy.html
Jack Bauer
I'm just shocked this character is cisgender.
ValhallaBear
The swimming part is going to be a problem tho, right?

RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Valhalla stole my thunder! I thought black people couldn't swim? Is this a good idea?
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Canada2017
I like the idea .
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
I am pretty sure the original little mermaid was illustrated with dark hair. I dont remember a description in the story describing her hair and eye color but it's been a while since my granddaughter and I read it.

I think H Berry will be a good little mermaid.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
BaylorFTW
They don't have this problem on Pureflix. Stop supporting businesses and organizations that do not share your values and support those that do. I am sure you can think of some other wholesome activities that you can do to replace this PC or anti-religious propaganda. Don't give them more power than they deserve by settling for less.
You could also choose to protest these decisions or demand change but it would be more productive to simply encourage others to walk away from these institutions once and for all.
BaylorBJM
GolemIII said:

If you know a 5 yr old little girl with red hair, alabaster skin and blue eyes like my daughter, you can imagine how much this will suck for her. Red heads are a tiny minority of the human race (<2%).

You mean the two million +/- black girls in America who are under the age of 16 may finally have someone to relate to like your daughter did all these years? The horror!!

I'm so sorry for your loss.
Jack Bauer
BaylorBJM said:

GolemIII said:

You mean the two million +/- black girls in America who are under the age of 16 may finally have someone to relate to like your daughter did all these years? The horror!!

Finally??
Golem
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

I am pretty sure the original little mermaid was illustrated with dark hair. I dont remember a description in the story describing her hair and eye color but it's been a while since my granddaughter and I read it.

You should try reading the article once in a while.

"The Danish writer's original story, which was published in 1837, centers around a beautiful young mermaid, who is described as having 'skin as clear and delicate as a rose-leaf, and eyes as blue as the deepest sea'. "

Golem
BaylorBJM said:

GolemIII said:

Such a shame no one is creative enough in the black community to create someone for two million +/- black girls in America who are under the age of 16 to finally have to relate to like my daughter. It's easier to steal than create, I suppose.

I guess actually creative people will just have to create more characters for uncreative troglodytes to steal from the <750k redhead girls under the age of 16 in the US.
fubar
GolemIII said:

"The Danish writer's original story, which was published in 1837, centers around a beautiful young mermaid, who is described as having 'skin as clear and delicate as a rose-leaf, and eyes as blue as the deepest sea'. "

If Ms. Berry wears blue contacts, will you be OK? It doesn't seem a central point of the original story -- kind of like the red hair that you created -- but I don't want to ruin your poor daughter's day.

At least now we know who it is that focuses foremost on race. Snowflake.
Buddha Bear
GolemIII said:

BaylorBJM said:

GolemIII said:

Such a shame no one is creative enough in the black community to create someone for two million +/- black girls in America who are under the age of 16 to finally have to relate to like my daughter. It's easier to steal than create, I suppose.

I guess actually creative people will just have to create more characters for uncreative troglodytes to steal from the <750k redhead girls under the age of 16 in the US.
Come'on, no one creative enough in the black community?

For every "black washed" movie remake nowadays, there were 3 whitewashed movies made back in the day. Plenty of white actors played minorities over the years.

Are you mad that the genie in Aladdin is black now too? None of this bothers me one bit.
Golem
Buddha Bear said:

GolemIII said:

BaylorBJM said:

GolemIII said:

Come'on, no one creative enough in the black community?

For every "black washed" movie remake nowadays, there were 3 whitewashed movies made back in the day. Plenty of white actors played minorities over the years.

Are you mad that the genie in Aladdin is black now too? None of this bothers me one bit.

What!?!? There are people creative enough in the black community to create characters for black girls?!?! You don't say!!! Then this theft of a cultural icon must just be damned laziness. Which is it? Laziness or lack of creativity?
Golem
fubar said:

GolemIII said:

If Ms. Berry wears blue contacts, will you be OK? It doesn't seem a central point of the original story -- kind of like the red hair that you created -- but I don't want to ruin your poor daughter's day.

At least now we know who it is that focuses foremost on race. Snowflake.

The genie was blue in both versions. The characters were of Arabic background in both versions. The Disney character is set and is arguably a cultural icon. You can't defend this theft. If you had a family that cared about you and vice versa, you'd understand that. Enjoy your life incel
AFBlue82
This can't be real. If it is, I'm not sure I've seen a better example of "first world problems."

I would've thought everyone who "doesn't see color" would celebrate the casting director for not holding themselves to the standard set of assumptions from the previous film, and instead giving equal opportunity to everyone. Or is it just the red-headed "minority" that needs to be specially protected?
Golem
AFBlue82 said:

This can't be real. If it is, I'm not sure I've seen a better example of "first world problems."

I would've thought everyone who "doesn't see color" would celebrate the casting director for not holding themselves to the standard set of assumptions from the previous film, and instead giving equal opportunity to everyone. Or is it just the red-headed "minority" that needs to be specially protected?

I'm really looking forward to Daniel Craig's Othello.
BaylorFTW
AFBlue82 said:

Well, they did steal Annie. And your post defeats itself because in many of these cases they very much are seeing race and purposely choosing on race. It just so happens they want a different race showcased that is not allowed to be white anymore. And when the shoe is on the other foot, they don't accept your color blind casting as was seen by the reaction when Michael Jackson was cast as a white actor in a prior film. That program was cancelled.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/entertainment/2017/01/12/joseph-fiennes-michael-jackson-outrage-jpm-orig.cnn
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/urban-myths-michael-jackson-blackface-white-actors-representation-a7527371.html

AFBlue82
BaylorFTW said:

AFBlue82 said:

Well, they did steal Annie. And your post defeats itself because in many of these cases they very much are seeing race and purposely choosing on race. It just so happens they want a different race showcased that is not allowed to be white anymore. And when the shoe is on the other foot, they don't accept your color blind casting as was seen by the reaction when Michael Jackson was cast as a white actor in a prior film. That program was cancelled.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/entertainment/2017/01/12/joseph-fiennes-michael-jackson-outrage-jpm-orig.cnn
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/urban-myths-michael-jackson-blackface-white-actors-representation-a7527371.html

If it was purposeful, it would be consistent. Beauty and the Beast remake both cast with White leads, Jasmine cast with a British woman of Indian (not Arabic) descent. It could be they just want the most talented individuals in the role, regardless of race.

In the end, my overarching statement is why this really matters at all. We truly are such a privileged and blessed society that we can concern ourselves with such trivial matters. And that applies to both "sides."
robby44
This type of thing seems to be trending in Hollywood
Idris Elba as Roland the gunslinger in The Dark Tower
Meryl Streep as Harriet Tubman
Sandra Bullock as Madame CJ Walker
whitetrash
robby44 said:

This type of thing seems to be trending in Hollywood
Idris Elba as Roland the gunslinger in The Dark Tower
Meryl Streep as Harriet Tubman
Sandra Bullock as Madame CJ Walker
Mickey Rooney as Mr. Yunioshi

Golem
I heard they are going to reboot Harry Potter next year with Miley Cyrus as Harry. "Avarda Cadavre like a wrecking balllll!!!"
Ludwig von Missi
If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?

Frédéric Bastiat
JXL
https://www.dailywire.com/news/49185/walsh-media-claims-racists-are-outraged-over-black-matt-walsh
AFBlue82
JXL said:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/49185/walsh-media-claims-racists-are-outraged-over-black-matt-walsh

Cept the OP and a couple others are proving there are at least some who care.
BaylorFTW
Now little girls of all races can dream of one day living in a coral reef and doing battle with an evil octopus who communicates her dastardly plans via spontaneous musical numbers.

Golem
Here are some lovely examples of SJW hypocrisy.

Black actress as Meg Murry in "Wrinkle in Time"
SJWs "Awesome!"

Scarlett Johansson as robot in "Ghost in the Shell."
SJWs: "Outrage!"

Idris Elba as Viking god.
SJWs "Awesome!"

Gerard Butler as Egyptian god.

Black girl as "Little Orphan Annie."
SJWs "Awesome!"

White kid as Aang in "Last Airbender".
Jack Bauer
GolemIII said:

Here are some lovely examples of SJW hypocrisy.

Black actress as Meg Murry in "Wrinkle in Time"
SJWs "Awesome!"

Scarlett Johansson as robot in "Ghost in the Shell."

Idris Elba as Viking god.
SJWs "Awesome!"

Gerard Butler as Egyptian god.

Black girl as "Little Orphan Annie."
SJWs "Awesome!"

White kid as Aang in "Last Airbender".

Its either cultural appropriation or cultural diversity..I can't keep up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.