Baylor Women's Basketball

BREAKING: Kim Mulkey, Lady Bears land grad transfer DiJonai Carrington from Stanford

May 18, 2020
12,312

Download the SicEm365 mobile app today for free on iOS & Android!

On Monday evening Kim Mulkey and the Lady Bears pulled off their second big commitment in two days by landing Stanford graduate transfer DiJonai Carrington. The 5-foot-11 guard played just five games in 2019-20 after sustaining a season-ending injury, which led to her receiving a medical redshirt.

Carrington earned All-Pac 12 honors as a junior in 2019, when she started all 36 games and averaged 14.0 points and 7.5 rebounds. Her marquee game was a 33-point, 13-reboudnd effort in a road win against No. 9 Tennessee. Carrington was one of just five power-five players in the country to average at least 14 points and seven boards.

Carrington averaged 8.8 points and 5.6 rebounds off the bench as a sophomore.

A San Diego native, Carrington earned McDonald’s All-American honors as a senior at Horizon Christian Academy. She also played in the Jordan Brand Classic. She was a consensus top-40 recruit coming out of high school and one service had her ranked as high as No. 17. She was limited to two-and-a-half seasons of high school ball because of two ACL surgeries.

Carrington’s father, Darren, spent eight seasons in the NFL as a wide receiver and appeared in two Super Bowls; one with the Broncos and one with the Chargers.

Carrington’s Career Honors:

  • 2019-20 Pac-12 Academic Honor Roll
  • 2018-19 All-Pac-12 (Coaches and Media)
  • 2019 Pac-12 All-Tournament Team
  • 2018-19 Pac-12 All-Academic Honorable Mention
  • 2017-18 Pac-12 All-Academic Honorable Mention
  • 2016 McDonald's All-American
  • 2016 Jordan Brand Classic All-American
Discussion from...

BREAKING: Kim Mulkey, Lady Bears land grad transfer DiJonai Carrington from Stanford

7,157 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by SirBearALot
Chibears2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Was watching the clock waiting on this one! If she can stay healthy, good get. Now, just need a transfer big who can eat up some minutes if Queen or Nalyssa get in foul trouble...
setshot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
With DiJonai it is a matter of health, as everything else is in place for a quality guard. I choose to be hopeful, as she will not be required to play the number of minutes that Jackson and Cooper played for the Lady Bears these two years past. She is an outstanding competitor and an asset as a teammate, and she is a quality student, as well. Only her history of injuries is troubling.....
Chibears2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
setshot said:

With DiJonai it is a matter of health, as everything else is in place for a quality guard. I choose to be hopeful, as she will not be required to play the number of minutes that Jackson and Cooper played for the Lady Bears these two years past. She is an outstanding competitor and an asset as a teammate, and she is a quality student, as well. Only her history of injuries is troubling.....
We share the same concern. The thing I will hold on to here is that we have top notch S&C program and top tier Health & Nutrition. Plus, Coach Mulkey, seems to understand giving old knees and such limitations and rest. Hopefully, that will help nurse her through this upcoming year.
CarmelBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Her numbers are impressive and (if we have a basketball season!) will be an impact player for us. What a huge get for Baylor.

Welcome to Baylor!
BU71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Chibears2 said:

setshot said:

With DiJonai it is a matter of health, as everything else is in place for a quality guard. I choose to be hopeful, as she will not be required to play the number of minutes that Jackson and Cooper played for the Lady Bears these two years past. She is an outstanding competitor and an asset as a teammate, and she is a quality student, as well. Only her history of injuries is troubling.....
We share the same concern. The thing I will hold on to here is that we have top notch S&C program and top tier Health & Nutrition. Plus, Coach Mulkey, seems to understand giving old knees and such limitations and rest. Hopefully, that will help nurse her through this upcoming year.
You are so right! I remember CKM saying that Dekeiya Cohen had "Grandma knees" when talking about resting her.
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
“Whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.”
I Corinthians 10:31
bunation
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bright/savvy. Gritty. Great genes. Proven/talented. Elite program background.

Huge get.

Welcome!



SirBearALot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Seems odd to me that she chose Baylor without meeting any teammates or visiting the campus ??
blueeyedbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SirBearALot said:

Seems odd to me that she chose Baylor without meeting any teammates or visiting the campus ??
I did - and there was no virus back then !!!!!
Neither did Maryam Dauda
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They probably managed as best they could through Zoom or some other internet format.
“Whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.”
I Corinthians 10:31
HoustonBear15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SirBearALot said:

Seems odd to me that she chose Baylor without meeting any teammates or visiting the campus ??
The same could be said had she chosen Oregon or UConn. It's not really odd given the situation everyone is in right now. And technically, she has been on campus when Stanford traveled to Waco in the 2017-2018 season
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good points. Clearly, she had plenty of communication from coaches & staff and she feels good about her decision. Just watch her video that I posted earlier.
“Whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.”
I Corinthians 10:31
BUbackerinET
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Historian on the money again with great video!
Heart
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Let's Go!!
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I love that image of Mulkey at the top--and all similar images. Clearly, the lady has passion for what she does!
“Whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.”
I Corinthians 10:31
SirBearALot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am glad she committed.
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.