* * Dallas Mavericks

50,408 Views | 581 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by Assassin
Wichitabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dallas looking good here in the 4 quarter. Playing the Nets. Curry shooting well tonight and Luka is back out there bringing it on in the 4th.
NeuroticBear
Mavs are one piece away from being a contender, IMO. Get a young, top tier power forward, and we should be set for the next decade.
Keyser Soze
NeuroticBear said:

Mavs are one piece away from being a contender, IMO. Get a young, top tier power forward, and we should be set for the next decade.
Ammo to get that is not high with all the picks given up.

Still a lot more upside to KP. Cap room.

Side note: Luka leading all star voting
Assassin
NeuroticBear said:

Yep, this season I think they are auditioning for that 3rd piece. Next offseason, find that guy. Greek Freak? Holy cow!
Keyser Soze

Wichitabear
Awesome
Assassin
Mark Cuban says Mavericks nearly acquired Kobe Bryant in 2007
Apr 13, 2016
DaLLAS -- Kobe Bryant almost became a member of the Dallas Mavericks, according to owner Mark Cuban.
On the final night of Bryant's career, Cuban revealed that he thought he had agreed on a deal with the Los Angeles Lakers in the 2007 offseason, when Bryant had demanded a trade.
"I could have sworn that we had a deal done for Josh Howard and Jet," said Cuban, referring to Jason Terry.

Cuban said the Mavs also would have parted with draft picks and taken back at least one contract the Lakers were looking to dump.
"I was telling all the stagehands at 'Dancing With the Stars' it was done," said Cuban, who was part of the show's celebrity cast in 2007. "Then Mitch [Kupchak] or Jerry Buss or whoever talked him out of it."
The Mavs went to the 2006 Finals and won 67 games in 2006-07 before being upset by the Golden State Warriors in the first round. A deal for Bryant would have paired him with Dirk Nowitzki, putting two of the top six scorers of all time together during their primes.
"It would have been different," Cuban said. "That's all I can say. Woulda, coulda, shoulda."
Bryant said on the "Grantland Basketball Hour" last year that "Chicago was my No. 1 choice" when he wanted to be traded. He added that he vetoed a deal that would have sent him to the Detroit Pistons for Richard Hamilton, Tayshaun Prince and draft picks.
"I gave you a list of teams I would be comfortable being traded to," Bryant said on the show. "Not Detroit."
Bryant did not mention the Mavs while reminiscing about trade possibilities.
Cuban recalled discussing potential Bryant deals with Nowitzki, who was the reigning MVP at the time. Cuban considered Nowitzki the only Mavs asset that was off limits in trade talks.
"I do remember Dirk coming to me and saying, 'Look, if you can trade me for Kobe, you've gotta do it,'" Cuban said. "I was like, 'Dirty, that's not gonna happen.'"

On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Wichitabear
Had no idea. Thanks for sharing assassin.
Hotsauce
It was always tough to like Kobe in his prime when he was repeatedly crushing the Mavs' dreams, but I grew to respect him after learning he was great friends with Dirk.

I can think of too many NBA stars who didn't have any real respect for Dirk's game prior to him finally winning it all in 2011...and Kobe wasn't one of them. Always had great things to say about him, and he even agreed to be interviewed for the documentary made about Dirk in 2015. The only non-former Mav to do so.
Keyser Soze
Mavs have announced they will retire #24 for Kobe
Assassin
Keyser Soze said:

Mavs have announced they will retire #24 for Kobe
when I first saw this a few minutes ago, I thought 'how odd'. He didnt play for us and there are only X amount of sub 100 numbers over the years. As far as I know, no NBA team has done this for another team's player. Then I remembered who the owner is. Mark Cuban is not the most moral cat around. He used to bartend at Elan back in my day. Even then he had a rep. I think there could be an alternate agenda.

IMO - this is about getting Free Agents to come here. We are in a short window with Luca and Porzingas. Why not make a public statement that should resonate across the NBA?
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Keyser Soze
Baseball retired the #42 for Jackie Robinson for all franchises.

Certainly JR > Kobe, but I'm OK with it if Cubes wants to

Assassin
Keyser Soze said:

Baseball retired the #42 for Jackie Robinson for all franchises.

Certainly JR > Kobe, but I'm OK with it if Cubes wants to
Its just that, knowing Cuban for so long, he never does anything like this without an ulterior motive.Just his modus operandi
Keyser Soze
Shark tank and all - Cubes hangs in LA plenty
Wichitabear
Hmmmm
SMack
Now they can retire Mark Aguirre's number as well.
Assassin
SMack said:

Kurt Nimphius too
Assassin
Assassin said:

SMack said:

Kurt Nimphius too

Lets not forget Brad Davis, Derek Harper, Steve Nash, Jason Kidd and Ro Blackman.
Assassin
Assassin said:

Assassin said:

SMack said:

Kurt Nimphius too

Lets not forget Brad Davis, Derek Harper, Steve Nash, Jason Kidd and Ro Blackman.

Or James Donaldson, Jamal Mashburn, Jim Jackson or Josh Howard
Assassin
Get those numbers hoisted!
SMack
Assassin
Robert Covington Likely To Be Traded With Mavericks, Rockets, Bucks Interested
FEB 3, 2020 11:17 AM

The Minnesota Timberwolves have remained engaged in trade talks centered on Robert Covington.
The Dallas Mavericks, Houston Rockets and Milwaukee Bucks have expressed interest in trading for Covington.
The Mavericks and Rockets discussed trades with Minnesota dating back to the offseason. The Mavericks can offer a 2020 second round pick from the Golden State Warriors, which will be one of the first selections in the second round.
Covington has two seasons and $25 million remaining on his contract.
"Robert Covington is a player I'm very confident they are going to trade at some point this week," said Adrian Wojnarowski on his podcast on Sunday.
SHAMS CHARANIA, JON KRAWCZYNSKI/THE ATHLETIC
Assassin
February 4, 7:00 AM: Chris Crouse of Slam Online is reporting that the Mavericks may have interest in the Warriors' Alec Burks. Burks is on a vet minimum deal and having a good season.

February 3, 10:50 AM: Marc Stein is reporting that the Mavs remain on the lookout for help at the wing position as Thursday's trade deadline approaches. However, everyone's two favorite trade targets, Andre Iguodala and Robert Covington, don't seem to be the team's first priority. In true Mavericks trade fashion, if a move is made, you can count on it being for a guy we didn't even know was available for trade
Assassin
Rockets get Covington. With this much movement, hard to project what this will mean, but probably moves the Rockets to the top of the local food chain

With the NBA trade deadline looming on Thursday, the Atlanta Hawks, Denver Nuggets, Houston Rockets and Minnesota Timberwolves reportedly agreed to a four-team deal involving 12 players.
In the early morning hours of Wednesday, ESPN NBA insider Adrian Wojnarowski reported that Clint Capela and Nene will go from the Rockets to the Hawks; Robert Covington will go from the Timberwolves to the Rockets; Malik Beasley and Juancho Hernangomez will go from the Nuggets to the Timberwolves; Evan Turner is headed from Atlanta to Minnesota, and Gerald Green is going from Houston to Denver.
As part of the deal, Minnesota will also get the Hawks' first-round pick via the Brooklyn Nets. Denver will receive a first-round pick from the Rockets. Minnesota is also sending Keita Bates-Diop and Noah Vonleh to the Nuggets. Jarred Vanderbilt will leave the Nuggets for Minnesota in the deal. Timberwolves forward Jordan Bell is being traded to the Rockets in the deal, while Timberwolves point guard Shabazz Napier will end up with the Nuggets as part of the four-team trade.
Assassin
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist has agreed to sign with the Dallas Mavericks, league sources told Tim MacMahon and Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN.
Kidd-Gilchrist, who was recently bought out by the Hornets, averaged 4 points in 12 games this season.
The Mavs released Ryan Broekhoff to make room for Kidd-Gilchrist.
Wichitabear
Doesn't look like we gotta deal here.
Assassin
last night in win over Kings

Luka Doncic:
31 mins
33 pts
12 reb
8 ast
10-18 FG
3-7 3pt FG
10-12 FT
+30

Kristaps Porzingis:
33 mins
27 pts
13 reb
5 ast
3 blk
11-16 FG
2-5 3pt FG
+27
Assassin

Luka's team is +9 with him on the floor. But they lose without him out there. You just know the next acquisition is salivating at taking some cool never before seen pass from him, ala Magic Johnson or Pete Maravich

Assassin
I hope Luka enjoys the attention...

Assassin
Mavs 12th in ESPN power rankings

12. Dallas Mavericks
Record: 33-22
Week 17 ranking: 11
The developing chemistry between Luka Doncic and Kristaps Porzingis will determine how much of a threat the Mavs are in the playoffs and whether Dallas emerges as a legitimate contender in the near future. They've played together in only 10 of the past 31 games due to injury absences for each, but the duo's dominant performance in a blowout win over the Kings before the All-Star break was definitely encouraging. -- MacMahon
This week: @ORL, @ATL
Assassin
As we back into the playoffs...

The Mavs' loss Sunday significantly decreased Dallas' odds of moving up in the standings, making a first-round meeting with the LA Clippers the likely scenario. The Mavs are three games behind the sixth-place Oklahoma City Thunder with six games left in the seeding schedule.
Assassin
The Dallas Mavericks now own the league's all-time record for offensive rating in a season. The team averaged 1.161 points per possession this season, otherwise known as an offensive rating of 116.1. Teams have scored more points, sure. In the 1981-82 season, the Denver Nuggets averaged 126.5 points per game when the league's speed of play greatly outpaced what it is today. The Mavericks, averaging 117.0 points per game this season, weren't even the highest-scoring team per game this season by raw output. But the more valuable measure of an offense's effectiveness is how much they score on a given possession. And at that, no team in league history has ever been better than this year's Mavericks.

It's no wonder even the Mavericks themselves are surprised. Last season, the team won 33 games with an offense that couldn't even be considered average. (They ranked 20th with an offensive rating of 108.7.) In fact, the league's offensive record was set last season as well: The Golden State Warriors finished with an offensive rating of 115.0. That team had Stephen Curry and Kevin Durant, two of the most transcendent offensive players the league has ever seen. It had also been together for several seasons, while Dallas had rebuilt its roster just this past February without even having a player that had been named to an All-NBA team.
Assassin
Nice game 2 for Dallas/ Up 13 with 7 mins left
Assassin
Great game for Mavs. Luka out almost the whole second half and the subs turn it on. Porzingas looks like a keeper now. Strange how much he looks like an old Mormon player for the Mavs

127 - 114
1-1 series
Assassin

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.