Gym Etiquette and Pet Peeves

2,102 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Golem
Harrison Bergeron
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Joined a new gym in December ... curious everyone's favorite gym pet peeves.
saabing bear
I'm the only one in the gym and turn on the big fan. After I've been on the treadmill about 5 minutes 3 others walk in and turn off the fan without asking. Another 5 minutes and they leave and don't turn it back on. Ignore me while I ask politely to turn it back on.

That and sweaty seats left as they are.
Harrison Bergeron
saabing bear said:

I'm the only one in the gym and turn on the big fan. After I've been on the treadmill about 5 minutes 3 others walk in and turn off the fan without asking. Another 5 minutes and they leave and don't turn it back on. Ignore me while I ask politely to turn it back on.

That and sweaty seats left as they are.

Just found three used Q-Tips sitting in sauna in a nice line.
RegentCoverup
Home gyms are a better deal.

The ONLY thing the big box gyms do is finance large equipment.
Mitch Blood Green
People who walk around the locker room full on naked. Even furthermore, the naked guy who then strikes up a conversation with you.

"You went to Baylor? Did you know Mike Singletary?"
Mitch Blood Green
Here's another one. People who get on the treadmill on their phone. Speakerphone or music on speakerphone is worse.
Ghostrider
Oh, I got several....

People that sit on equipment and talk to someone.

A holes that don't wipe their sweat

People that don't re-rack their weights

Slamming down weights when not needed

Idiots that grunt overly loud or scream to complete a lift

People that want to talk for an extended amount of time
Harrison Bergeron
Ghostrider said:

Oh, I got several....

People that sit on equipment and talk to someone.

A holes that don't wipe their sweat

People that don't re-rack their weights

Slamming down weights when not needed

Idiots that grunt overly loud or scream to complete a lift

People that want to talk for an extended amount of time
Gyms ironically seem to have some of the laziest people. The guy that goes and gets the free weight to use on the floor but is too lazy to return it. Or the guy too lazy to walk to the trash can to throw away a paper towel or water bottle.
RegentCoverup
I like the people carting around jugs of water.

Always the obese people. Always spilling the water.
Harrison Bergeron
My gym has six towel drops in the locker room. Yet every day I see towels left on the floor ... again, why are gym people so lazy?
Golem
I have a list as well:

1. Trying to claim two machines at once. A recent exchange went like this, after I began using a leg extension next to a guy using a leg curl.
Him: "Hey, I was using that."
Me: "no, you were using that machine you were on"
Him: "I was using them both"
Me: "nope. You weren't. You only have one ass. But you can have it when I'm done"

2. Taking off shirt in gym and flexing in between sets. Seriously bro, no body wants to see you do that. Keep your clothes on so you don't fling sweat everywhere.

3. Using dumbbell rack as a place to rest your feet or a place to lean on while doing bent over rows. You are in the way of at least several other pairs of weights. GTFO of the way, ******!

4. Camping out on one piece of equipment. We get that you think bench press is going to make you big, sweet heart, but staying on it for 30 minutes is not getting you there. It's just preventing others from finishing their workouts.

5. Putting your crap (bags, bottles, hats, keys, etc) on the piece of equipment next to you. It's not a shelf and no one should have to ask you to move your crap so they can use the equipment.

6. Setting up tripods and camera /camera phone video equipment in the gym. No one cares about your workouts that much and no one else consented to being filmed by you so you can post your weak ass lifts on Instagram. Use a mirror if you want to check your form.

7. Concur with others on the lazy POS users who don't rerack their weights (in the proper place). Super annoying.

8. Lurking conspicuously around a piece of equipment to try and make the user feel uncomfortable enough to move. I don't spend more than 5-10 minutes on any piece of equipment (except cardio). But when there's a lurker, I will stretch it out.

9. People who go too heavy without a spot. I've had to yank numerous barbells off people who were to proud to ask for a spot. It's dangerous and if you can't lift it, you might not only drop it on yourself, but others nearby as well.

10. Shoeless squats. Dumb dumb dumb! I get you think it engages your foot muscles or whatever. But it's incredibly dangerous to be on the gym floor around heavy weights barefoot, or worse, in slippery socks. Just wear converse or vans or some other flat, minimalist shoe. Same outcome.

11. Fatties in spandex. Spandex is not the required uniform. If you aren't built for it, don't wear it. That's what baggy sweat pants are for. When I go through fat phases, I cover that chit up. I'm glad you are at the gym, but until you deserve to wear revealing clothes, don't do it. It's off putting.

12. Gay dudes dressing like women. Bro! Stop it. It's a gym, not some gay bar called 'The Man Hole'. If you're a man, dress like a man. Stop being creepy. (I've literally seen a kilt in the gym, pseudo bondage gear, etc)

OsoCoreyell
thanks for reminding me why I spent the money on a home gym.
nein51
6 is the one. We don't get that much at our gym but in the summer and on breaks it happens all the time.

Was hilarious last year when dude has his camera set up and one of the regulars walked over and told him "if you're going to film it at least be able to lift enough to impress someone" while he was live streaming lol.

Reracking is the other one. I actually don't mind moving the weights (I paid to move heavy stuff after all). However, when you leave them there it's a sign someone is using the equipment and now I have to search all over to see if it's in use or if you're just an inconsiderate ahole.

Our gym is pretty tight knit. We don't really have issues with guys who don't wipe stuff down, or people taking too much space (it's not big enough for that) and it's sort of a big family in a private gym so everyone pretty much knows everyone.
Golem
nein51 said:

6 is the one. We don't get that much at our gym but in the summer and on breaks it happens all the time.

Was hilarious last year when dude has his camera set up and one of the regulars walked over and told him "if you're going to film it at least be able to lift enough to impress someone" while he was live streaming lol.

Reracking is the other one. I actually don't mind moving the weights (I paid to move heavy stuff after all). However, when you leave them there it's a sign someone is using the equipment and now I have to search all over to see if it's in use or if you're just an inconsiderate ahole.

Our gym is pretty tight knit. We don't really have issues with guys who don't wipe stuff down, or people taking too much space (it's not big enough for that) and it's sort of a big family in a private gym so everyone pretty much knows everyone.

In Waco?
nein51
Golem said:

nein51 said:

In Waco?

No. Cleveland, Oh area.
BellCountyBear
Dudes getting SO into their music with the head bobbing and air drumming that they appear to be having a seizure.
No Quarterback
Peter gazers in the locker room
nein51
No Quarterback said:

Not sure if humble brag or if we should feel bad for you lol
No Quarterback
nein51 said:

No Quarterback said:

Not sure if humble brag or if we should feel bad for you lol

Well it is pretty magnificent but I still feel violated
TrojanMoondoggie
I guess if one doesn't want Peter gazed at, best leave him in the pants
Most of the guys at my gym come already dressed out, do their workout and leave. Only go into the lockers to pee.
For those who are hitting the gym to and from work, there are ways to suit up without letting Peter be on display for all to see. And certainly not long enough to be gazed at.
That being said, if Peter is coming out of the pants long enough to be gazed at, and he's that impressive, well people are going to enjoy the view. lol
Guys will be guys though. And a lot of guys like to be looked at more than they let on to. ; )
This is why as noted in an earlier post, some dudes like to wander around the gym naked. That allows Peter to be gazed at for longer periods of time.
nein51
A huge % of dudes at the gym are gay. So it shouldn't be shocking pecker gazing occurs. Frankly, unless they are gazing because it's shockingly small…who cares.
Golem
Well this conversation took a turn for the worse.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.