Best new movies on Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max or Apple movies

3,152 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by boykin_spaniel
Ghostrider
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was going to watch a movie the other day and all the newer movies don't look good. Have you watched any recent movie that you'd recommend?
90sBear
The Menu. It's on HBO Max.
Ghostrider
90sBear said:

thanks. I saw that but had never heard of it. Thanks for the rec.
90sBear
I had not either. It was one of those evenings where the family is sitting and scrolling randomly through the various streaming apps looking for something to watch so I looked up Rotten Tomatoes to see what was out and well-reviewed. It was rated high with both critic and audience, I liked the actors in it, and "Dark Comedy/Thriller" is about our speed so I took a chance.
Wangchung
Old Henry. It's a western. I was surprised at the quality as I just randomly stumbled across it. You'll want to watch it a second time. My only advice is to not look into the story line before watching, it makes it even better.
boykin_spaniel
I second Old Henry if you like a good western. Gray Man on Netflix is fun over the top action and doesn't take itself too seriously. Extraction is over the top action that is serious.
My dad really enjoyed All Quiet Along the Western Front(on my watch list) on Netflix but he had to watch it in spurts. It's very brutal, like opening scene of Saving Private Ryan but with trench warfare, that doesn't end.

Shows:
Apple TV: Ted Lasso if you haven't. Severance is a really good one. Dark comedy mystery thriller from Ben Stiller that grows on you. Slow Horses is great. British espionage thriller with some humor from a grotesquely hilarious Gary Oldman.
Disney: Andor. It's Star Wars but don't let that hold you back. Superbly written and acted. Best SW since Empire Strikes Back.
cms186
90sBear said:

Actually just watched that tonight, not a bad film, a bit silly, but many films/tv shows are.

I've just started watching Lockwood and Co on Netflix, best way to describe it is Teenage Ghostbusters set in the UK, very good TV, I also watched Locke and Key which i can heartily recommend

If you liked the Walking dead i can also recommend The Last of Us (I think its on HBO for you guys in America) Its an adaptation of a Video Game, but has a very good story, its written by the same guy who did that recent series on Chernobyl, I will warn you that the most recent episode does have a Gay Love arc featured prominently (no Graphic nudity or anything though) as I'm aware that might put some people off. But as far as I know, that's the only episode it should appear in. It stars Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey and its really well done, even if you haven't played the Game/s, its just great TV.
I'm the English Guy
hustlenflow
I really enjoyed Bullet Train on Netflix. Action movie, but the plot keeps you guessing and engaged.
Ghostrider
90sBear said:

This was so so....not bad for a HBO Max movie....
Ghostrider
hustlenflow said:

I really enjoyed Bullet Train on Netflix. Action movie, but the plot keeps you guessing and engaged.
going to try this tomorrow or the weekend
Harrison Bergeron
I heard nothing but terrible reviews for Bullet Train, but I really enjoyed it.
Berg09
I enjoyed Bullet Train for what it was. It was a fun action movie.
Tempus Edax Rerum
Watch Mayor of Kingstown, it's awesome!
Aliceinbubbleland
I had to read up on the series after watching the first episode. It makes sense now what they are doing.
FLBear5630
Ghostrider said:

90sBear said:

This was so so....not bad for a HBO Max movie....
I enjoyed the Menu. I cooked early in my early 20's (some gourmet for a little while, made line for a summer), Ralph Fiennes was great as the Chef. I enjoyed it.
BearFan33
If you like action with a lot of CGI, I'd recommend

Warriors of the Future on Netflix

It's Japanese (I think) and dubbed but if that doesn't bother you it's good from an action standpoint.
Beverly Hills Bear
The Chosen is very good. Still watching. Just watched the 3 episode doc on the Malaysian airplane that has been missing since 2014, pretty good. Getting ready to start watching Full Swing, but I like watching golf on tv too
Porteroso
Bullet Train was definitely great. Easy to see why the pundits would rate it poorly but for what it was it was extremely good.
BearConvert
Shrinking on Apple.
avensis
I also liked Bullet Train, an action film with many fight scenes that can be ultra violent, well staged in a manga style in a Japanese setting.

Tutuapp

boykin_spaniel
Last night watched Tetris. Was pretty good. On apple. Starring Taron Edgerton. Fun 80s soundtrack. Based on the true story of the game Tetris and how it escaped the Soviet Union.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.