Sleep....why does it elude me?

1,445 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Wangchung
atomicblast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone have a secret to get to sleep? I'm struggling here. Please help.
saabing bear
I've been using Melatonin for a few years. Still have trouble sleeping so I'm not sure how much it helps. First thing is confront whatever is bothering you and do what you can to resolve it.
Wangchung
20 push-ups just before getting into bed. Once the heart rate drops from the exercise I fall right asleep.
Our vibrations were getting nasty. But why? I was puzzled, frustrated... Had we deteriorated to the level of dumb beasts?
90sBear
It can depend on what you feel is keeping you from falling asleep.

Racing thoughts, not tired enough, too stimulated by screen time before going to sleep, not comfortable, worried about something going on in your life.

All of those can affect you and might be addressed by different methods.

Personally I struggle with racing thoughts and am a light sleeper. I have to have white noise drowning out any other sounds which also helps me with the racing thoughts. If thoughts are a real problem, I found listening to something that is both calming that I can also keep me focused helps. For me that is listening to Bob Ross videos on youtube in airpods. It has been quite a while since I had to do that, but it did help.
No Quarterback
I have always been a light sleeper, and it is always taking me like 30 to 45 minutes to fall asleep. Melatonin can help, as can white noise or ASMR videos.

Do not drink caffeine after 3 PM. Try to avoid looking at your phone right before bedtime
Joe Waco
I tend to have racing thoughts and can't block everything out at night.

What has worked for me is exercising early in the morning before work. That makes me more tired and less likely to allow my brain to be awake. Chamomile tea at night has helped me as well.

There are still nights though where it just doesn't work. My biggest issue has been if I wake up in the middle of the night, I'm up. It's almost impossible for me to get back to sleep when that happens.
Keyser Soze
You can google good sleep hygiene at get some good answers.

Avoid caffeine late
Get exercise

Get checked for undiagnosed sleep apnea. Much more prevalent than you may think.

Avoid blue light late. (google it)

The bedroom should be cool and dark. Don't watch TV in bed. Sleep and sex only. If you are married, just sleep.

4th and Inches
Keyser Soze said:

You can google good sleep hygiene at get some good answers.

Avoid caffeine late
Get exercise

Get checked for undiagnosed sleep apnea. Much more prevalent than you may think.

Avoid blue light late. (google it)

The bedroom should be cool and dark. Don't watch TV in bed. Sleep and sex only. If you are married, just sleep.

dont tell that to my spouse.. she must think we are still unmarried
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Oldbear83
atomicblast said:

I try to mentally name everyone I spoke to at work that day. Usually start drifting off by the 20th person or so.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
ScottS
Dark room and get your phone away in a different room
KaiBear
atomicblast said:

Gabapentin

And if even that fails to help

Clonazepam

But Clonazepam works for only a few months at best .
And can make you very groggy for hours .

If you already have tinnitus…..it can make it worse .
Wangchung
Tried the BetterSleep app out of curiosity. No joke, after doing those pushups I mentioned earlier and putting in the ear buds and playing my preferred and personally created track, I am out in under 5 minutes consistently. I've never found sleep so quickly while sober.
Our vibrations were getting nasty. But why? I was puzzled, frustrated... Had we deteriorated to the level of dumb beasts?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.