That's no moon

8,469 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by quash
cowboycwr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Scientists have found an object that is 13 times larger than Jupiter (which is 11 times bigger than Earth) so this object is.... well big.

It orbits it's sun only once every 3 years and some scientists think it could actually be a failed star.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/11/09/mysterious-object-13-times-size-jupiter-found.html

And as a bonus a star that scientists thought was going supernova keeps exploding and not turning into a black hole like expected.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/11/09/zombie-star-keeps-exploding-refuses-to-die-astronomers-say.html

Space sure is interesting.(At least to me)
Dia del DougO

saabing bear
Dia del DougO said:

Uranus.
Moondoggie
And when fox reports on astronomy, he learns about astronomy.
LIB,MR BEARS
The supernova is not following the rules. Does Texas scientist know this?

I thought all this stuff about matter and space was settled, fact. They're libel to have to make up more nothing to explain this
marco
#darkmatterlives
LIB,MR BEARS
marco said:

#darkmatterlives
well played!
BU84BEAR
LIB,MR BEARS said:

I thought all this stuff about matter and space was settled, fact. Their libel to have to make up more nothing to explain this
They thought the sam3e thing when they thought the earth was flat.
marco
LIB,MR BEARS said:

I thought all this stuff about matter and space was settled, fact. Their libel to have to make up more nothing to explain this
It's an ever expanding theory.

#darkmatterlives
SMack
BU84BEAR said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

They thought the same thing when they thought the earth was flat.

Wait... Are you saying the Earth isn't flat?

When did they discover this? Why didn't someone tell me?
BU84BEAR
SMack said:

BU84BEAR said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

They discovered it 2517 years ago. But don't worry. Others still believe too ,apparently.

http://www.discovery.com/dscovrd/nature/no-earth-isnt-flat-heres-how-ancients-proved-it/
BaylorProud77
Dia del DougO said:

ok, lol,
SMack
BU84BEAR said:

SMack said:

BU84BEAR said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

They discovered it 2517 years ago. But don't worry. Others still believe too ,apparently.

http://www.discovery.com/dscovrd/nature/no-earth-isnt-flat-heres-how-ancients-proved-it/

So how do they explain Columbus falling of the edge of the Earth?

Or was that Captain Hook?
SMack
Maybe Dr. Hook.
Media Bear
SMack said:

Maybe Dr. Hook.
Golem
I laughed out loud. Nice!
ABC BEAR
Thirteen times larger than Jupiter and a failed star? I propose naming it after Val Kilmer.
quash
LIB,MR BEARS said:

You misunderstood how science works. It changes with new evidence. There are tons of areas that change with new discoveries. It's fascinating.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
OsoCoreyell
ABC BEAR said:

Thirteen times larger than Jupiter and a failed star? I propose naming it after Val Kilmer.
Late move for post of the week.
OsoCoreyell
quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

You misunderstood how science works. It changes with new evidence. There are tons of areas that change with new discoveries. It's fascinating.
Right. We get that. That's why its really funny to see folks like Tx Scientist attempt to use scientific information like scripture. Some might even call it ironic.
william
cowboycwr said:

Scientists have found an object that is 13 times larger than Jupiter (which is 11 times bigger than Earth) so this object is.... wel... Space sure is interesting.(At least to me)
and all of its inhabitants wear silken white kimonos and sport male-toe.............

- 2112 BHJ

Fetterman2024
Edmond Bear
quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

But scientists will defend the current understanding to the death...forgetting that the current understanding was a different understanding that other scientists believed in.
quash
OsoCoreyell said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Right. We get that. That's why its really funny to see folks like Tx Scientist attempt to use scientific information like scripture. Some might even call it ironic.

Maybe you don't. I haven't seen him do anything like that.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
quash
Edmond Bear said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

But scientists will defend the current understanding to the death...forgetting that the current understanding was a different understanding that other scientists believed in.

Until there's new evidence. If you don't have any then the status quo stands.
bularry
Edmond Bear said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

So reject science. Got it
Edmond Bear
bularry said:

Edmond Bear said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

You missed the point.

I reject scientists who are 100% adamant that there can be no other way. If there is a scientific repeatable pattern, it's that scientists get things wrong over and over.

quash
Edmond Bear said:

bularry said:

Edmond Bear said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

You missed the point.

I reject scientists who are 100% adamant that there can be no other way. If there is a scientific repeatable pattern, it's that scientists get things wrong over and over.

Who gets things right?
LIB,MR BEARS
quash said:

Edmond Bear said:

bularry said:

Edmond Bear said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

You missed the point.

Who gets things right?
Youve already rejected that
quash
LIB,MR BEARS said:

quash said:

Edmond Bear said:

bularry said:

Edmond Bear said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

You missed the point.

Who gets things right?
Youve already rejected that

If religion got gravity, or astronomy, or biology, or germ theory, right then show me something from the last century or two. The scientific method is our best means for finding objective truth.

Back to my question, who gets things right?
bularry
Edmond Bear said:

bularry said:

Edmond Bear said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

You missed the point.

That's way too simplistic of a response to science
Edmond Bear
bularry said:

Edmond Bear said:

bularry said:

Edmond Bear said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

You missed the point.

Fair enough. This is not an awesome medium for a more detailed discussion.
quash
Edmond Bear said:

bularry said:

Edmond Bear said:

bularry said:

Edmond Bear said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

You missed the point.

Fair enough. This is not an awesome medium for a more detailed discussion.

Can we at least acknowledge that in order for you to be able to assert that science gets things wrong we have to first know something new that shows the prior position to have been wrong?

And then acknowledge that the new evidence mostly comes from scientists?

IOW, science gets it wrong until it gets it right.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.