Top concerts you've attended

9,041 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SSadler
bubbadog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anybody else see Billy Joel in Austin in 78 or 79 when he was touring to promote "The Stranger?" I should have included that on my list. It was a tremendous show.

Besides Parliament at the Summit, the other specific show I wish I had seen was The Clash at Armadillo World Headquarters. Even though I did see them a few years later, I wish I had been at that one.

BTW, anything at Raul's in Austin in the late 70s was a memorable experience -- Huns, the Dicks, Sharon Tate's Baby. The Dead Kennedys would have been fun.
NoBSU
Bear?
quash
bubbadog said:

Anybody else see Billy Joel in Austin in 78 or 79 when he was touring to promote "The Stranger?" I should have included that on my list. It was a tremendous show.

Besides Parliament at the Summit, the other specific show I wish I had seen was The Clash at Armadillo World Headquarters. Even though I did see them a few years later, I wish I had been at that one.

BTW, anything at Raul's in Austin in the late 70s was a memorable experience -- Huns, the Dicks, Sharon Tate's Baby. The Dead Kennedys would have been fun.

Would like to have seen the Elegant Doormats in Austin.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
forza orsi
bubbadog said:

I think the Stranger tour was in 1977. The Paramount? The 52nd St. tour was 1978-79, and I saw him in on that tour in 1979 in Houston at the Summit. It was a really great show. I don't think he did Austin on that tour.
bubbadog
forza orsi said:

bubbadog said:

I think the Stranger tour was in 1977. The Paramount? The 52nd St. tour was 1978-79, and I saw him in on that tour in 1979 in Houston at the Summit. It was a really great show. I don't think he did Austin on that tour.
Sorry, you're right. 52nd Street was what I meant. He definitely played songs off that LP when I saw him. I can't remember the venue, however. It was a big show. Might have been the Erwin Center, but it also might have been that big auditorium southwest of downtown.

Update: I was able to look it up on Setlist. It was Nov. 24, 1979 at the Special Events Center in Austin. (I guess that's what the called the Drum back then.)
forza orsi
bubbadog said:

forza orsi said:

bubbadog said:

Sorry, you're right. 52nd Street was what I meant. He definitely played songs off that LP when I saw him. I can't remember the venue, however. It was a big show. Might have been the Erwin Center, but it also might have been that big auditorium southwest of downtown.

Update: I was able to look it up on Setlist. It was Nov. 24, 1979 at the Special Events Center in Austin. (I guess that's what the called the Drum back then.)
Just checked too. Yeah that was the superdrum. I saw him the next night at the Summit. Great show!
bubbadog
forza orsi said:

bubbadog said:

forza orsi said:

bubbadog said:

Just checked too. Yeah that was the superdrum. I saw him the next night at the Summit. Great show!
They don't have any entries for the setlist for the Austin show, but they have it for the Summit show, and it lines up pretty well with what I remember from Austin. I recall that during that period he was starting to play guitar on some songs instead of piano. I liked him on piano better.
forza orsi
bubbadog said:

forza orsi said:

bubbadog said:

forza orsi said:

bubbadog said:

They don't have any entries for the setlist for the Austin show, but they have it for the Summit show, and it lines up pretty well with what I remember. I recall that during that period he was starting to play guitar on some songs instead of piano. I liked him on piano better.
Edit: Never mind - misread your post
Keyser Soze
Ones that stand out the most

Paul McCartney - my only only opportunity to hear Beatles tunes sung by a Beatle

Heart Texas jam - stole the show, just really tight band that was great

Willie Nelson - cotton bowl - girls on bf shoulders taking tops off -

Grace Jones @ Stark Club - most bizarre, @ the Stark Club is all you really need to say. Coke & X fueled crowd. Show started about 2 am. Jones sang entire gig laying on a chez lounge held high in the air by some very beefy body guards.

bubbadog
Keyser Soze said:

Ones that stand out the most

Paul McCartney - my only only opportunity to hear Beatles tunes sung by a Beatle

Heart Texas jam - stole the show, just really tight band that was great

Willie Nelson - cotton bowl - girls on bf shoulders taking tops off -

Grace Jones @ Stark Club - most bizarre, @ the Stark Club is all you really need to say. Coke & X fueled crowd. Show started about 2 am. Jones sang entire gig laying on a chez lounge held high in the air by some very beefy body guards.

Yeah, I had never even heard of a show that started after midnight until I went to NYC for the first time. Saw an EMI record label showcase at the Irving Plaza. They didn't even open the doors until about 11:30, and there were 3 bands. The opening act was EMI's brand new band -- Red Hot Chili Peppers. Headliner was Jason & the Scorchers. Both put on a great show, but it wasn't over until about 4 a.m.

Had trouble finding a cab in Chelsea at that hour -- neighborhood now has much improved. Cab driver was fresh off the boat from Haiti or West Africa and spoke with a heavy French accent. Had to navigate for him. At the first stoplight we pulled up to, there was a subway entrance. We watched one guy chase another up the steps and break a bottle over his head and then try to cut him. The first guy managed to get away, and the chaser is looking at us look at him with his broken bottle. Cab driver's eyes were as big as saucers.

That was my introduction to New York City.

The broken bottle part could have been any old night at the Continental Lounge in Temple after the 3-11 shift at Mobil Chemical. But the concert was worth the trip.
Stranger
A fuzzy memory as this goes back fifty plus years.
Osmond Brothers- Disneyland 1962
Anita Bryant- Scout Jamboree, Valley Forge 1964
Roy Head & the Traits, Riverside Hall, East Bernard, Tx 1965
BJ Thomas & the Triumphs, Riverside Hall 1965
Crazy Elephant, Fireman's Hall, Eastland, Tx
Ernest Tubb and the Texas Troubadours, Vernon's Dine & Dance, Strawn, Tx 1967
The Five Americans with Jon & Robin and the In Crowd, Heart of Texas Coliseum 1968
Paul Revere & the Raiders , HOT Coliseum 1968
Cowsills-Waco Hall 1967
Pozo Seco Singers- Waco Hall 1967
Fifth Dimension- Waco Hall 1968
Chicago, Marrs McLean Gym, Baylor 1971
BJ Thomas, Waco Hall 1971
Carpenters- Marrs McLean, 1971
James Taylor- Lubbock Coliseum 1972
Chicago- Lubbock Coliseum 1972
Jerry Jeff Walker- Liberty Hall, Houston 1972
Willie Nelson, Liberty Hall 1972
Linda Ronstadt, Liberty Hall 1972
Jimmy Buffett (solo)
Doug Sahm
Greezy Wheels
Michael Martin Murphy
Asleep at the Wheel
Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen, all at Hofheinz Pavilion, Houston 1973
Elvis Presley, Astrodome, 1973
Willie Nelson's 2nd Picnic- Texas World Speedway, College Station, Tx with the following:
Willie Nelson
Tracy Nelson
Ricky Nelson
Leon Russell
Jimmy Buffett & the Coral Reefer Band
Doug Sahm
Jerry Jeff Walker and the Lost Gonzo Band
Flying Burrito Bros, Liberty Hall 1974
Eagles, Jeppesen Stadium, Houston 1974
Jesse Colin Young, Beach Boys, Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Jeppesen Stadium 1974
Jerry Jeff and Hondo Crouch, Music Hall, Houston 1974
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Liberty Hall 1974
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Liberty Hall(4 nights)1974
Billy Joel, Liberty Hall 1975
Elton John- Hofheinz 1974
Elvis Presley, Hofheinz 1975
Roy Orbison, Billy Bobs Texas, Fort Worth 1979
Delbert Mc Clinton, Billy Bobs 2005
Delbert, Bass Hall, Fort Worth 2006
Delbert, Billy Bobs 2007
Van Morrison- Nob Hill Masonic Auditorium, San Francisco, Ca. 2013

I probably left somebody out so please forgive me.

Forgot. Eagles at Next Stage (2500 seats) Grand Prairie 2003
I'm a Bearbacker
Stranger
One more , The Who, opening night at the Summit in Houston 1975
I'm a Bearbacker
whitetrash
Stranger said:

The Five Americans with Jon & Robin and the In Crowd, Heart of Texas Coliseum 1968
Cowsills-Waco Hall 1967
Jimmy Buffett (solo)
Doug Sahm
Greezy Wheels
Michael Martin Murphy
Asleep at the Wheel
Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen, all at Hofheinz Pavilion, Houston 1973
Willie Nelson's 2nd Picnic- Texas World Speedway, College Station, Tx with the following:
Willie Nelson
Tracy Nelson
Ricky Nelson
Leon Russell
Doug Sahm
Jesse Colin Young, Beach Boys, Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Jeppesen Stadium 1974
Delbert, Billy Bobs 2007

My very first concert was also the Osmonds at Disneyland in 1969. I was 6.

And although I never heard Delbert McClinton in concert, I met him when I did his tax return while at the late, great Arthur Andersen.
forza orsi
Stranger said:

Cowsills-Waco Hall 1967
Jimmy Buffett (solo)
Doug Sahm
Greezy Wheels
Michael Martin Murphy
Asleep at the Wheel
Willie Nelson
Tracy Nelson
Ricky Nelson
Leon Russell
Doug Sahm
Delbert, Billy Bobs 2007

Stars for anyone that saw the Triumphs at Riverside Hall. We went to see them there regularly. After BJ Thomas left the group, Don Drachenberg became the lead singer. My American History teacher no less. Anyway, a great dance band and Riverside regulars in the mid-1970s. I talked to him at a high school reunion a couple of years ago, and the Triumphs are still playing, and have reconciled with BJ.
bubbadog
Stranger said:

Cowsills-Waco Hall 1967
Jimmy Buffett (solo)
Doug Sahm
Greezy Wheels
Michael Martin Murphy
Asleep at the Wheel
Willie Nelson
Tracy Nelson
Ricky Nelson
Leon Russell
Doug Sahm
Delbert, Billy Bobs 2007

Commander Cody is one of the bands I regret I never got to see live. That show must have been a lot of fun.

I got to see Doug Sahm and Flaco Jimenez together in 1980
fadskier
I have a question. I have been to a few concerts and do not understand why people go. Here are my issues:

1. Songs do not sound the same as they do on the radio or purchased music
2. Many singers' voices are very different than their studio voice
3. Loud, drunk people.

I could spend the money elsewhere.

What do you like about concerts?
Stranger
forza orsi said:

Stranger said:

Cowsills-Waco Hall 1967
Jimmy Buffett (solo)
Doug Sahm
Greezy Wheels
Michael Martin Murphy
Asleep at the Wheel
Willie Nelson
Tracy Nelson
Ricky Nelson
Leon Russell
Doug Sahm
Delbert, Billy Bobs 2007

Stars for anyone that saw the Triumphs at Riverside Hall. We went to see them there regularly. After BJ Thomas left the group, Don Drachenberg became the lead singer. My American History teacher no less. Anyway, a great dance band and Riverside regulars in the mid-1970s. I talked to him at a high school reunion a couple of years ago, and the Triumphs are still playing, and have reconciled with BJ.

Good stuff. Forgot a couple more , Jimmy Buffett at the outdoor pavilion at Fair Park in Dallas (whatever they called it) 1994
America, Fair Park 1993
Beach Boys, Ferrell Center 1992
Amy Grant, Ferrell 1991
Beach Boys, Fair Park 1994
The everso Moody Blues, Fair Park 1994
George Strait, Ferrell 1994
Reba McEntire, Ferrell 1995
Robert Earl Keen, HOT Coliseum 1995
Robert Earl, Bass Hall 2011
Robert Earl, Spencer Theater, Ruidoso, New Mexico 2018
I'm a Bearbacker
cms186
I have been to 5 concerts in my life:

The first was to see a band called Alisha's Attic, I have no idea why i picked that band to see, i dont currently and i dont think i ever did own any of their music, I guess they must have been on the Radio at the time, it must have been when i was 15/16 and i went with my best Friend at the time and was the only concert i didnt go to on my own, I remember very little of the concert itself, other than it was in a small venue and we talked to some Girls outside who had glitter on their faces!

The second was to go and see Oasis at Wembley (the Stadium in London) in 2000, i got a Bus down for an extra 5 i think and it was a great concert, Oasis are probably my favourite band and im so glad i got to see them live, they played so many of their hits, i sand along to them all. As an added bonus, they ended up releasing the concert i went to on DVD (if you know Oasis' work, its the concert entitled "Familiar to Millions"), the 2 Warmup acts were fairly decent as these things go.

A Year or so later, I went to go and see my other Favourite band, Feeder, in Cambridge, This was their first tour after their Drummer had committed Suicide so it was very poignant, it was a great show at a great little venue. The Warm Up act was dreadful though!

I went to go and see Feeder again in 2006 in London, it was a gig in aid of the charity Warchild and as such they had some special guest appearances and some celebrity announcers which made it a bit special, they played a Nirvana cover and an REM cover and did a load of stuff they dont do at regular gigs so it was a really unique experience. I also remember getting the train down and the Underground station was about 50 metres from the concert venue, which was pretty cool!

The final concert I went to was this March when i went to go and see Noel Gallagher (the Lead Guitarist, Songwriter and occasional lead singer from Oasis) in Birmingham, I hadn't been to a gig for 12 years by that point and it was something i'd been thinking about for a really long time and im very happy i did, great concert, he played a lot of his solo stuff, some Oasis tunes and a Beatles cover (All You Need Is Love) and i had a great time.
I'm the English Guy
quash
fadskier said:

I have a question. I have been to a few concerts and do not understand why people go. Here are my issues:

3. Loud, drunk people.

All three.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
cms186
fadskier said:

3. Loud, drunk people.

1: True, but thats not always a bad thing, an Artist can do something different with their songs to give a unique version (perform it acoustically, for example)
2: Again, True, and this can be a bad thing, I guess you have to pick artists you know have a good live voice
3: Sure, but theres loud, Drunk people at many events, Sports games, for example, its easy enough to focus on the music
I'm the English Guy
SSadler
John Denver, Waco Hall, 1970, Baylor University, when he was young and "on his way up".
Chicago (1971/72 ??) when they crammed in to the Russell gym and there were more students OUTSIDE listening (plenty of sound through the the old vented windows (gym was not ac'd freebie than INSIDE paying expensive tickets
Neil Diamond
Pavarrati, Dalas
Imperials, FBC Waco live recording of "Sail On" album
Van Cliburn

Willie Nelson, Austin. He put a sixpack on a stool beside his mike. Said, when the sixpack was empty, the concert was over. When he felt the need for a beer--just whenever he needed to wet his whistle, he would chug a full can. 3.5 hours later without one break, six pack was empty. concert was over. 3.5 hours of pure, continuous Willie

Edit: In the Fall of Falling in Love with the lovely Deborah Smith (early in the deal when I was trying to prove I was kinda "hooked"} she asked me to go to a Barrily Manilow Concert in Dallas. BARRY MANILOW !!!!! OUCH! Not knowing the particulars I said, "Sure"--(though Barrily Manilow would have been WAY down on my list of preferred conernts). Turned out to be the same night that Baylor played University of Houston in Waco (and I did not MISS a BU home game--EVERRRRR!)

But I did that night. Cringed all the way through the music, but that was the night I fell in love with Deborah and the following May we were married. (And BU lost to Houston so I guess I broke even on that deal)
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.