Does anyone here play the Guitar?

4,473 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Dia del DougO
cms186
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have wanted an Electric Guitar since i was a kid and finally got my hands on an Epiphone Les Paul a few weeks ago:

Ive found some really helpful videos online to get me started, learning to play my first 4 chords (E, A, D and G major so far!) and ive found it really fun to learn easy riffs to supplement the videos, like the James Bond theme and Seven Nation Army.

I dont know as to whether i'll be any good or not, but its good fun and i must say it helps you appreciate the music you listen to a lot more as well!
I'm the English Guy
whitetrash
All you need is a red guitar, 3 chords and the truth.

You have one too many chords.
4th and Inches
I do not but I hope to one day... i play some percussion and some piano but not the cool instrument! lol

My wife being a smart alek bought me one of the guitar hero games for the wii but i sincerely doubt playing that will teach me to shred like hendrix...
cms186
Gruvin said:

I do not but I hope to one day... i play some percussion and some piano but not the cool instrument! lol

My wife being a smart alek bought me one of the guitar hero games for the wii but i sincerely doubt playing that will teach me to shred like hendrix...
you would be right, its a lot harder than i thought it would be and i played a lot of Guitar Hero (though not recently)
I'm the English Guy
NoBSU
Can you play Smoke on the Water yet?
cms186
NoBSU said:

that was the first riff i learned
I'm the English Guy
KOKQB70
My wife used to play the bone-a-phone long time ago, but she's lost that loving feeling, and we smile now....we stopped watching Top Gun years ago......
Dia del DougO
I don't call myself a guitar player, because I don't want to insult a lot of people can actually play. But I own a ****load of guitars and I attempt to plunk around on them from time to time.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Stranger
I kinda play at a guitar and even played one on tv about 41 years ago. Own an Ovation acoustic and a Fender Telecaster and a Paul Reed Smith Carlos Santana model in electrics. Couple of other no counts.

You can get by on two chords. Waylon Jennings and Tom Petty got by their whole careers playing two chords.

Elvis, Johnny Cash and Jimmy Reed played three chords in E or A.

Eagles played most of their stuff , early especially, in E. Add E minor, A minor and B minor to the E progressions you already know and you can play their stuff.
I'm a Bearbacker
ABC BEAR
cms186 said:

NoBSU said:

that was the first riff i learned
Whaaaat? Back in the day everyone cut their teeth on "House Of The Rising Sun." This Am - C - D - F classic will cause young women to swoon and throw themselves at your feet. Well...their grandmothers might.
Sam Lowry
cms186 said:

I have wanted an Electric Guitar since i was a kid and finally got my hands on an Epiphone Les Paul a few weeks ago:

Ive found some really helpful videos online to get me started, learning to play my first 4 chords (E, A, D and G major so far!) and ive found it really fun to learn easy riffs to supplement the videos, like the James Bond theme and Seven Nation Army.

I dont know as to whether i'll be any good or not, but its good fun and i must say it helps you appreciate the music you listen to a lot more as well!
Here's one of my favorite sites:

https://guitarlessons365.com/song-lessons/
BaylorGuy314
I tinker but am not very good.
Volunteer
I plink around. I have an Ovation acoustic/electric and a Fender Strat HSS.

My advice to any player starting out is, once you've learned the basic open chords (A, C, D, E, F, & G) start working on learning how to barre chord next. Once you learn the root fingering, you change the chord by simply moving up the fret board (no change in fingering). For example, using barre chords if you start with "F" you get to "F#", "G", "G#", "A" and so forth by simply moving the same fingering up one fret at a time.

Lots of pretty good web sites out there as well.

Oh, and I'm not very good either.
Hob Howelll
I've been teaching myself to play the acoustic guitar for the past few months. I recently bought a Taylor 114 which I really like
Baylor University class of 2014
SSadler
I played a ukelele once. Two fewer strings to mess with.

'Suger n the mornin
Suger in the evenin
Suger at supper time
Be my little suger
And love me all the time.

That was it; complete repretroire. But that didn't mean I couldn't rock out "Suger in the Morning" aka Elvis hip movement!
NoBSU
SSadler said:

I played a ukelele once. Two fewer strings to mess with.

'Suger n the mornin
Suger in the evenin
Suger at supper time
Be my little suger
And love me all the time.

That was it; complete repretroire. But that didn't mean I couldn't rock out "Suger in the Morning" aka Elvis hip movement!
Could you do "Tiptoe thru the Tulips"
BrutalBear
The $900 grand auditorium? If so that guitar outplays many guitars twice it's price. I shouldn't have tried one out the other day.
BrutalBear
For learning, truefire.com is about the best it gets barring highly qualified 1 on 1 instruction. There are "learning paths." So if you're a beginner, it'll take you through the recommended lessons in the beginners path, then it will also give you what basically amount to electives. Once you get past that point, there are genre and playing style specific paths. It's a pretty well thought out website and I think they give you a free month to try it out. After that it's a subscription service. What I really like about it is that it's not just "put your fingers here and play." They go into details of music theory, improvisation, etc...

One word of advice though: PLEASE PRACTICE WITH A METRONOME.
Hob Howelll
BrutalBear said:

The $900 grand auditorium? If so that guitar outplays many guitars twice it's price. I shouldn't have tried one out the other day.

Ya I got a used 2015 model for $500. My dad has a GS mini and I can recommend that model as well. The 114 is a nice guitar. I was very tempted by some of the Seagull guitars I saw at the store
boognish_bear
I started learning to play my sophomore year at Baylor. Got a book and started learning chords and then started buying tab music for the bands I like. Most of what I learned was GnR, Metallica, Zep, Skynrd, Nirvana. After college I quit playing nearly as much so everything I know is a time capsule of the music I was into at BU. I used to have a little 8 track mixer and wasted all kinds of time dubbing multiple tracks and putting them together. It was a fun little hobby.

I have an Ovation Celebrity acoustic and a cherrywood Gibson Nighthawk. Also have a cheap ass Lyon electric that I'm waiting to give to one of my sons when they show interest.

These 2 guitar apps are pretty helpful

Ultimate Guitar: Chords & Tabs by Ultimate Guitar
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ultimate-guitar-chords-tabs/id357828853?mt=8

PolyTune by TC Electronic
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/polytune/id364009203?mt=8

Have fun man

Dia del DougO
BrutalBear said:

I like that one, too. The light, non-glossy finish on the top allows for a much clearer tone. Every time I compare with the higher priced Taylor's I always prefer the 114. I love the wood in the sides, too.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Hob Howelll
Dia del DougO said:

BrutalBear said:

I like that one, too. The light, non-glossy finish on the top allows for a much clearer tone. Every time I compare with the higher priced Taylor's I always prefer the 114. I love the wood in the sides, too.

I like mine quite a bit. Haven't had as much time to play lately because work has been crazy.

The pick guard on mine seems to be peeling up on the edge. Is there some sort of super glue or wood glue I should use?
Joe Waco
Dia del DougO said:

I don't call myself a guitar player, because I don't want to insult a lot of people can actually play. But I own a ****load of guitars and I attempt to plunk around on them from time to time.

Sounds exactly like me haha
Fat Daddy
Q: How many guitars does a guitar player need?

A: Just one more!

I have an Alvarez Yari.... don't play much anymore and was never any good....
Dia del DougO
I just got my first clamp-on guitar tuner. Got a Fishman Ft-2 after looking at dozens of others, prices and reviews. Simple enough, seems to work pretty good.

One less excuse to sound out of tune.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.