Post a song from your youth

12,644 Views | 109 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by william
Keyser Soze
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Not necessarily the music that was great, but the music that caught the attention of young you. For me there a few that I remember.

Here is one that amused me

Keyser Soze

I listened to this one at night on a small radio at night in bed. Just thought the lyrics "send your camel to bed " was cool.

fubar
On a trip to/from Texas ... my Dad actually allowed me to turn up the AM radio volume:

Mr Tulip

CorsicanaBear
Stranger
My first 78 record.
I'm a Bearbacker
MrGolfguy
KOKQB70
Dang, missed class on posting songs, oh well.....mine was 1960, 9 years old, Green Leaves of Summer, the Alamo movie song!
MrGolfguy
KOK QB, this?

Keyser Soze
Funny how the memory works and remembers some specific moments for no particular reason and forgets most others. I was was in a mall getting a snack with my Mom. Maybe an orange Julius. I remember clear as can be this was on the juke box

NoBSU
Keyser Soze said:

I listened to this one at night on a small radio at night in bed. Just thought the lyrics "send your camel to bed " was cool.

Saw her at Waco Hall in 1981. BJ Thomas headlined the Word event.
NoBSU

Last Train from Clarksville
fubar
NoBSU said:

Keyser Soze said:

How in the world did I miss this one?
NoBSU
fubar said:

NoBSU said:

Keyser Soze said:

How in the world did I miss this one?
Same girl that dragged me to the tent revival and pigskin talked me into that Word music revue. She had her better moments like many trips to West for a pitcher and two stepping. Man those old dudes could polka. Oh, and her uh, apartment number, was 34C. Not huge but large contiguous parcels of prime real estate.
bularry
Someone post muskrat love
NoBSU
bularry said:

I think you just did.

I had the whole cereal box collection:
The Jacksons
Archie (Dumb comic but at least a comic book)
Bobby Sherman (ugh!)
bularry
I meant video
Sam Lowry

whitetrash
NoBSU said:

Last Train from Clarksville
This must have come out after Peter Tork was busted for LSD in El Paso because he didn't make the back of the cereal box.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
From the first album I ever bought. This was my favorite song. I had the same problems in third grade I have at 57.

I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
KOKQB70
Thanks MR. GG, nailed it, again.
Fat Daddy

The Gentrys - Keep on Dancing

Fat Daddy
bularry said:

Here is the original .... by the guy that wrote it.

STRANGER can give you the details and backstory or Willis Alan Ramsey. This is from his first, and only, album (correction: think his second album was released a year or two ago... not sure if it happened or not)

RioRata
fubar said:

On a trip to/from Texas ... my Dad actually allowed me to turn up the AM radio volume:

You stole my song (lol) sooo...

RioRata
First time I heard this was on the way to Easter Services at the First Baptist Church of West when I was eight (Henry Apperson was still the Pastor at the time).

My Uncle kept turning it up and my Aunt would turn it down. Aunt Frankie was other worldly pissed when we arrived for Church.
quash
Keyser Soze said:

Funny how the memory works and remembers some specific moments for no particular reason and forgets most others. I was was in a mall getting a snack with my Mom. Maybe an orange Julius. I remember clear as can be this was on the juke box

The first single I ever bought, shortly followed by The Who's Pinball Wizard.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
RioRata

quash
If you like Ragtime...

https://www.facebook.com/JonnyMayMusic/videos/1689930357794249/
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Malbec
bubbadog
fubar said:

Ha! My dad, whose musical tastes ran all the way from Lawrence Welk to Mitch Miller, actually listened to that one on the car radio, too, and seemed to like it.

Since he had grown up with songs in the 30s and 40s that had lyrics like "Celery stalks at midnight," the nonsense lyrics of Joy to the World didn't bother him.

Or like this one he used to sing sometimes:

It was midnight on the ocean,
Not a horsecar was in sight
As I stepped into the drugstore
To get myself a light.
The man behind the counter
Was a woman old and gray
Who used to peddle shoestrings
On the road to Mandalay.
NoBSU
bubbadog said:

fubar said:

Ha! My dad, whose musical tastes ran all the way from Lawrence Welk to Mitch Miller, actually listened to that one on the car radio, too, and seemed to like it.

Since he had grown up with songs in the 30s and 40s that had lyrics like "Celery stalks at midnight," the nonsense lyrics of Joy to the World didn't bother him.

Or like this one he used to sing sometimes:

It was midnight on the ocean,
Not a horsecar was in sight
As I stepped into the drugstore
To get myself a light.
The man behind the counter
Was a woman old and gray
Who used to peddle shoestrings
On the road to Mandalay.
Sunday service ended with "Precious Lord, Take my Hand." Of course "Peace in the Valley" was Dorsey's biggest crossover hit. Red Foley makes me think of my dad. That was his era of country why gospel crossovers were often.

But before Dorsey did gospel he had this hit:
bubbadog
Thanks to my mother, I grew up listening every Sunday morning before Sunday School to Hymns We Love with Norvell Slater on WFAA radio.

I didn't say I liked it. I said I listened to it.

https://www.amazon.com/Through-Years-Hymns-We-Love/dp/B00B6KN6LS
whitetrash
bubbadog said:

Thanks to my mother, I grew up listening every Sunday morning before Sunday School to Hymns We Love with Norvell Slater on WFAA radio.

Should have turned on the tv and watched Jot instead.

bubbadog
whitetrash said:

bubbadog said:

Should have turned on the tv and watched Jot instead.

whaddya mean instead? I had to listen to Hymns We Love AND watch Jot.
Media Bear
This one "popped" onto the radio just about every morning while waiting for the school bus. Think I was in 1st or 2nd grade at the time ... around '72 or '73.

Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.