* * Game of Thrones - the end is near

23,542 Views | 186 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by historian
Assassin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Assassin
https://www.guidelive.com/tv/2019/03/05/trailer-game-thrones-final-season#_ga=2.126354446.2080021438.1551846158-2106581535.1551846158
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Keyser Soze
You had me at ice dragon

TechDawgMc
I'm trying to keep my expectations low. Some of the directions they've gone worry me. Still, I'll be watching
Mr Tulip
I'm hoping that, since this was the plan, they can close the story arc neatly.

The Sopranos was "we've got 3 seasons", "no, it's popular! Keep it going!", "uh, what's going on now - wrap it up guys!". The writers had no real idea how to abort a planned plot line, reopen it, then shut it down again. They did a decent job, and the ending is the coolest ever, but I can't help feel it could have been smoother with better planning.
Assassin
I've pretty much enjoyed the whole series so far.
robby44
15 million per episode
Assassin
robby44 said:

15 million per episode
I believe it. some badass CGI along with some great acting. Not a bad thespian in the bunch
Keyser Soze

Saw article on final epic battle scene. Over one hour battle by same director that the "Battle of the *******s" episode
Wichitabear
I can't wait!!!!!
FormerFlash
I'm super excited and at the very same time so disappointed that it will soon be all over. I just finished re-watching all 7 seasons in preparation.
Sic Everyone.
Mr Tulip
FormerFlash said:

I'm super excited and at the very same time so disappointed that it will soon be all over. I just finished re-watching all 7 seasons in preparation.

I'm slowly catching up when I get time. I may in fact make it by the new season! =)

My daughter is now 17, and is watching with her boyfriend (who'd never seen it). She did relate a particularly uncomfortable moment when, while watching at her boyfriend's house, his mother sat in right when the episode featuring King Joffrey torturing his "presents" from Uncle Tyrion began!
FormerFlash
Yikes. Nothing worse than watching something like that with parents, yours or your significant others/in-laws. That's when you pretend to be sleeping or take a well timed bathroom break.
Sic Everyone.
robby44
Mr Tulip said:

FormerFlash said:

I'm slowly catching up when I get time. I may in fact make it by the new season! =)

My daughter is now 17, and is watching with her boyfriend (who'd never seen it). She did relate a particularly uncomfortable moment when, while watching at her boyfriend's house, his mother sat in right when the episode featuring King Joffrey torturing his "presents" from Uncle Tyrion began!

Its gonna get real interesting when they watch Cersei do the walk of shame
Assassin
robby44 said:

Mr Tulip said:

FormerFlash said:

Its gonna get real interesting when they watch Cersei do the walk of shame
They can always say, 'don't worry kids, its not really Cersei, its a smoking hot body double'
Mr Tulip
Yeah. There's a ton of stuff. Theon Greyjoy's in for a bit of a rough patch as well.

Her bf had never seen the show, and has apparently stayed well away from spoilers because he was super angry when Ned died.
Assassin
Mr Tulip said:

Yeah. There's a ton of stuff. Theon Greyjoy's in for a bit of a rough patch as well.

Her bf had never seen the show, and has apparently stayed well away from spoilers because he was super angry when Ned died.
I get it. But it underlined the fact that anyone could die at anytime... and then the Red Wedding... dang!
Assassin
Wichitabear
I'm in the process of doing that
FormerFlash
Let's get some predictions going! I'm a nerd and had read all the books prior to the show airing so I pretty much knew what was coming for the majority of the series. Now that the R+L=J theory has been proven, it's time to go on record with what we actually think will happen in the final 8 episodes.

Cersei - She has to die a horrible death, right? GoT fans have waited a long time for one of the best antagonists of all time to get what's coming to her. My guess is it's more poetic then grizzly and she is ultimately killed by Jamie as his betrayal could be the only thing that would ever actually wound her black heart.

Daenerys - Everything has been built up for her to be the savior and sit the iron throne and rule. That's not George RR Martin's style. She has shown hints of her fathers cruelty and a willingness to burn her enemies without much thought or consideration for wise council. I'm assuming she goes crazy as is her real birthright and ultimately has to be put down, likely by Jon Snow Targaryen.

Samwell Tarley - He proves his worth to his brothers and ultimately replaces Jon as Lord Commander of the Nights Watch. It's been speculated he is George RR Martin's way of writing himself into the story. We could see a Neville Longbottom moment where he kills the Night King, earns the Sam the Slayer title he was given in jest and saves the realm.

Sansa rules the North. She's been the poster child for weakness through the series while all her siblings have risen to high levels of importance or badassness. We finally see her take a little initiative in season 7. Her suffering pays off as she is ultimately the reigning Stark in Winterfell and all the northern lords support her.

Jon Snow - this is hard to pin down. He was brought back to life to serve a greater purpose. It's either to ultimately sit the iron throne and rule, or its to sacrifice himself to save the realm likely by killing a mad Daenerys and dying in the process. If this happens, I wouldn't be shocked to see the monarchy dissolved and a ruling council installed with people like Sansa, Tyrion, Brienne, and Davos Seaworth sitting the council along with some other more fringe characters. Perhaps representatives from each of the 7 kingdoms. Yara or maybe even Theon from the Iron Islands as his character is given a full reconciliation.

The Hound - I'm thinking he survives and goes to farm in peace somewhere. This is just what I hope to happen. Or perhaps he dies sacrificing himself to save someone like Arya fully cementing their interesting relationship. He, of course, has to kill the Mountain first.

Grey Worm and Missandei live happily ever after together. Someone has to, right?
Sic Everyone.
Assassin
FormerFlash said:

The Hound - I'm thinking he survives and goes to farm in peace somewhere. This is just what I hope to happen. Or perhaps he dies sacrificing himself to save someone like Arya fully cementing their interesting relationship. He, of course, has to kill the Mountain first.

Grey Worm and Missandei live happily ever after together. Someone has to, right?
Maybe the Hound an Arya hook up?
Wichitabear
Get ready here it comes Game of Thrones!!
Keyser Soze
Hold on to your butts ! (Sam Jackson voice)

FormerFlash
Good start. Nothing groundbreaking but things are coming together. Cersei likes Elephants.
Sic Everyone.
Wichitabear
Exactly
Assassin
FormerFlash
This thread needs more traction!
Sic Everyone.
FormerFlash
Episode 8.2 was fun just to watch interesting groups of characters come together and interact. I was curious how Dany would react to learning her claim to the throne was now invalid. Disappointed it was cut short by the arrival of the Night King's army. I still think she'll go crazy and have to be put down. Her claim to the throne is now as valid as Renly's was. I always thought it was stupid he thought he had any claim while having an older brother.

I was creeped out by the scene with Aria and Gendry. It's weird when you watched her since she was just a little kid. I'm amused by Sansa continuing to challenge Dany. At this point, I don't really like Dany at all. Her attitude just seems so ungrateful all the time despite having a quite a few faithful people who serve her. She hasn't been through half of what Sansa has and I'm tired of her entitled attitude. I hate Cersei but she doesn't feel entitled to anything, she just takes what she wants by force. Dany whines too much.
Sic Everyone.
Mr Tulip
Dany had two heavy questions laid on her last night.

1. If you are queen, ostensibly of the seven kingdoms, how will you relate to the North? The North has a bad history of treatment from the southern kingdoms. They've fought their own wars and have a united front. Complete subjugation and fealty probably isn't an easy option.

2. John's paper claim to the throne now outranks yours. Paper claims are just that. A claim backed up by dragons is a little more firm, but again, will you rule by consensus or outright fear?

Of course, right now, there's larger questions. The Army of the Dead (tm) is on the hill, and your best armorer is asleep.
Assassin
If Dragon Queen Dany is pregnant with previously dead King of the North's John's baby, will it be born alive? Dead alive? Dragon baby? What?

And the most important question - will we see Dany sans clothes a final time before time runs out?
sahen
I kind of hope episode 3 is a whole episode of what is going on in King's Landing during the past 2 episodes and they only come back to the battle with the army of the dead just to tease it for episode 4.

Would be a great read of social media after that, haha.
Gold Tron
Is Arya going to approach the Night King as one of them and then kill him? I assume she can take the face of a White Walker.
TechDawgMc
The shifting view of Dany is interesting. For most of the series, she has been the "good queen." Ambitious, certainly, but always concerned about the welfare of her people. Since she landed in Westeros, though, she has become much more concerned about her place on the Iron Throne and who's willing to proclaim her queen. She does get points for turning north, though. It'll be interesting to see how she goes in the next few shows.

In the books, book 5 really seemed to weaken Dany. She almost seemed to lose interest in Westeros and had become a bit soft in how she was dealing with things. The showrunners seem to have ignored that turn and it'll be interesting to see how Martin deals with all that if he ever actually decides to finish the books.
Mr Tulip
I agree that Dany's turn in Season 8 thus far almost seems like character assassination. She seems doggedly fixated on a title, even when standing in the castle preparing for final battle. Her reaction to the two large questions were obviously deliberately cut off, though, before she could finish the conversations. We'll clearly need to keep watching!

"The women and children will be in the crypt. They'll be safe there!"
(They clearly won't be safe there)
Wichitabear
That's exactly what I think.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.