Demand Letter

7,807 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Fat Daddy
WacoKelly83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just received a certified letter from dish Network claiming I stole their satellite signal and now they want to settle with me for $3500. They have my credit card info and personal info that obtained from an illegal iks (internet key sharing) service. The alleged violation occurred in 2012.

They give me 10 days to respond or they will move forward with their lawyers.

My question is do I settle? Do I take it to a civil lawyer to handle or negotiate a lower settlement? Anybody know of a good lawyer? I'm in Waco.

Let me add that I cannot determine whether this claim is true or not but I'm pretty sure one my kids may be the guilty party. It wasn't me for sure.

Any advice would be appreciated.
4th and Inches
Step 1: Cancel the credit card

Step 2: talk directly to company accusing you of wrong doing, let them talk but say as little as possible. Admit nothing!

Step 3: contact atty if needed after step 2- statute of limitations for theft is 5 years in texas but not dont build your defense around that(alot of SOL loopholes)
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Keyser Soze

Key questions:

Did you improperly take their services / products?

If so, what is the value and is it close to what they are asking?

On the other hand, all they likely have is knowledge your CC was used at a key sharing site. You could just thank them for informing you of improper use of your CC.

WacoKelly83
After some digging on my part and interrogating my son he admitted to using the service when he was away at school. According to him, he signed up using my CC and paid a one time fee of $70 per year. He said he and his roommate received all of dish Network channels and ppv. I would guess the actual cost would be in a range of $2,500 - $3,500 per year. He also said he thinks they may have ordered services at least one more year.

Given this new information

1.Should I settle for the amount requested and request a release from any future demands?
2. Should I try to negotiate a smaller sum or terms?
3. Hire a lawyer to negotiate on my behalf. Would it be worth it for the legal protection it would provide from any further legal entanglement.

Thanks for your help.
BearChick
Settle for whatever amount will ruin your kid's summer with having to pay it off, plus interest and fees owed to you for the hassle.

Signed,
Meanest Mom Ever
BellCountyBear
You might want to keep an attorney on retainer for your kid!
WacoKelly83
Thanks for all the advice. I'll give it a day to weigh options.

The best thing for me is that my son works for me. Lol
GoBearsGo
So it's Dish that's suing?

How old is your son?

Seems like I would push this a little more and have them go after your son some to scare him for doing dumb crap like this in the first place. See if you can get them down some.

It's called a stupid tax.
WacoKelly83
GoBearsGo said:

So it's Dish that's suing?

How old is your son?

Seems like I would push this a little more and have them go after your son some to scare him for doing dumb crap like this in the first place. See if you can get them down some.

It's called a stupid tax.

This is from Nagrastar which is a partner company that enforces security for dish Network. I think.
https://www.satscams.com/

My son is 28. Was in his Jr year at college when this took place. Used my card which he had use of.

I feel like I'm the stupid one now.
desertbear
Ignore it.

Two of my kids watched pirated movies over my Cox internet connection. My internet got shut off (which is how I found out what they had done) and Cox told me I had a violation that received a complaint from the copyright holder. After I got my internet restored and reamed both kids, I got a similar letter from some law firm in California.

I ignored it. Nothing ever happened. I understand that if you acknowledge their letter in any way, they will take that as an admission of guilt and come at you full force.

Also, as previously stated, cancel the credit card and get a new one. Just tell the bank it was stolen, they'll handle the rest.
Mr Tulip
And just thinking out loud, Target sells prepaid visa cards at the register. For when you'd rather not leave a record of an online (or otherwise) purchase.
LIB,MR BEARS
Mr Tulip said:

And just thinking out loud, Target sells prepaid visa cards at the register. For when you'd rather not leave a record of an online (or otherwise) purchase.
Mr Tulip; money launderer extraordinaire!
bularry
I would ignore. I sure as hell wouldn't give them $3,500
PartyBear
You might want to check limitations on the civil action they are threatening or any criminal action on this in your state since you say it occurred 7 years ago and whether you are liable for tortious activities of your son in your state if he was an adult assuming limitations haven't run.
WacoKelly83
I tried to post the cover letter but found out that is not possible on Sicem365. If someone can help me I can email you the docs. Never had to deal with anything like this so I am very unsure what to do. Will most certainly pay for any legal advice. Please pm me if you can help.
Dia del DougO
Check out the letter and make absolutely certain that it is from the real Dish Network. I have doubts it would be handled this way.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
LIB,MR BEARS
Helo, hope this letter finds you well. I work for the Dish network in the collections department-fraud. I will be happy to be of assist you. Go to your ATM and withdraw Onethousand Threehundred dollar US. Contact me to arrange rondeview and I will deliver payment marked as full amount on my next shift worked. Waiting for your contact. Thankyouverymuch

Mitch Blood Green
I don't know but this "feels" like a demand you should ignore. In this era, there's so much fraud out there you don't know what to trust.

Is it too late to get another son?
WacoKelly83
Been doing research and am convinced this is not a scam. Leaning towards calling them and seeking resolution.
If anyone wants to read more about this group.
LIB,MR BEARS
tommie said:

I don't know but this "feels" like a demand you should ignore. In this era, there's so much fraud out there you don't know what to trust.

NO TOMMIE! You cannot have his son.
Mitch Blood Green
LIB,MR BEARS said:

tommie said:

I've got my own college age kid leaving bills for me. I don't want another one.
Mitch Blood Green
WacoKelly83 said:

Been doing research and am convinced this is not a scam. Leaning towards calling them and seeking resolution.
If anyone wants to read more about this group.

What's the statue of limitations? I'd consult a lawyer. $250 for an opinion? Your contact could bring forward liability.
LIB,MR BEARS
tommie said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

tommie said:

I've got my own college age kid leaving bills for me. I don't want another one.
On this, I can relate.
Fat Daddy
You have probably taken action and have resolved this issue.

If not, consider contacting them and tell them the story.... probably your son, in college, stupid, etc . Don't admit it but don't deny it.

Let them know $3500 is a lot of money and you can't pay it in a lump sum.... but would they consider $100 a month for 18 months for a full and final settlement.

They won't accept it ... but continue to negotiate.

And then ask what would it take to resolve now.

I would expect them to say the full thing and you should reply something like "well, that's Just impossible"

At some point they will ask you what you can do.

Give them an amount, say, "maybe $1000 but it will take a few weeks, I would have to make some arrangements" .... After a pause, something like "I want to get this resolved, I think I can send xxx ($500) in a couple of days.

When you finally get an agreement, tell them you would like to see a sample "full and final settlement and release"... it can be a specimen form. They should be able to email you something.... but they may not.

If it says it is a full and final settlement, I would send the negotiated amount and a cover letter stating that the amount being paid is in full and final settlement of the claim. Be sure and cite the case, reference number or their previous correspondence.

I am thinking you should be able to settle for 15 - 25 % of their claim.... but maybe not.

I didn't read all the website you shared but there are various "testimonies" .... not sure if they paid in full or settled.

Good luck ...

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.